Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
House Hacking

User Stats

Votes
Varun Dalwadi
Votes |
What are some good ares in metro Atlanta to invest for rental

Varun Dalwadi
Posted Jun 4 2024, 19:48

I want to put in 5 percent down on a single family house in metro Atlanta .  Cash to invest is roughly 35k .  What are some good cities to invest in? I was looking into Pittsburgh area close to downtown area or mechanicsville.  

User Stats

Votes
Melanie P.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Jun 5 2024, 00:36

Pittsburgh and Atlanta are pretty far apart. What is making you choose these far flung places?

User Stats

Votes
Varun Dalwadi
Votes |
Replied Jun 5 2024, 03:56

Pittsburgh is an area in Atlanta lol near Mechanisville I wasn’t referring Pittsburgh city in Pennsylvania 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Azeez K.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jun 5 2024, 05:45

Hi @Varun Dalwadi

I am a fellow investor/broker in the Atlanta area. I personally like Mechanicsville and Pittsburgh area. Its a little rough right now but a lot of positive generally in terms of proximity to downtown and value compared to other parts of Atlanta. Decatur 30032 is also a good area for value buys. 

Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions. Thanks Azeez

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jun 5 2024, 07:34

@Varun Dalwadi, you must put down at least 20% if this is a non-owner-occupied investment property. I assume you are referring to and intending to house hack. Consult a lender and get pre-approved before worrying about which areas to target. Once you have an established budget/pre-approval, you can rule out specific markets based on price points. 

Circling back to your question, no one has a crystal ball, but the south/southwest markets of Downtown ATL are showing promising signs of gentrification. Based on your budget and risk tolerance, in-town subdivisions such as Oakland City, Sylvan Heights, Capital View, Pittsburgh, and Peoplestown are all areas I'd recommend from an appreciation-based investment standpoint. It's funny to conceptualize that 5-6 years ago, probably no one would be advising buying in these respective markets. 

I'm happy to be of assistance if you need any additional information!