Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Vera Shokina
Pro Member
Votes |
Zillow vs Redfin House Pricing Data

Vera Shokina
Pro Member
Posted Jun 4 2024, 16:06

What do you find as the best data source for house prices?  I notice significant difference (up to 20%) for the same property on Zillow, Redfin and Homes.com.  Zillow consistently shows prices much higher than Redfin, for example.  Which site is the most accurate to estimate the fair value of the house based on your experience? 

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#4 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 4 2024, 16:17

Neither, you need to dig into each sale yourself. The problem is these are automated values that don't factor things in like views, condition, or even if one block of homes sells for more or less than another. 

User Stats

Votes
Jacopo Iasiello
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Replied Jun 5 2024, 07:54

Yes, you need to dig and study it by yourself.

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 5 2024, 11:11
Quote from @Vera Shokina:

What do you find as the best data source for house prices?  I notice significant difference (up to 20%) for the same property on Zillow, Redfin and Homes.com.  Zillow consistently shows prices much higher than Redfin, for example.  Which site is the most accurate to estimate the fair value of the house based on your experience? 

I would never rely on either. Look for sold comps in that area and condition of those properties to determine best value. I have a house in my neighorhood that is off by around $1M+ from both these sites. 

User Stats

Votes
Vera Shokina
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 5 2024, 16:39
 Interesting...  I thought this is exactly what these sites are for -  look at the sold comps, factor in different parameters and come to the best value.  I will probably continue to use Redfin (as the most conservative of three) for initial analysis. I need to use something as a starting point even if further due dil will lead to a different price.

Quote from @Chris Seveney:

I would never rely on either. Look for sold comps in that area and condition of those properties to determine best value. I have a house in my neighorhood that is off by around $1M+ from both these sites.

User Stats

Votes
Vera Shokina
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 5 2024, 16:43
Quote from @Rick Albert:

Neither, you need to dig into each sale yourself. The problem is these are automated values that don't factor things in like views, condition, or even if one block of homes sells for more or less than another. 

Thank you Rick and it makes sense.  I was curious if any of these companies have a better algorithm factoring these nuances.  The algorithms are different but consistent. Zillow always gives higher price than Redfin, irrespective of the neighborliness and condition of the house.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 5 2024, 21:33

they are both accurate. Zillow use the listing price, however. Redfin has more data related to neighbors. They are still within one standard deviation. 
For Zillow and Redfin what really matter is the price chart trend of the neighbourhood and not the price itself.

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#4 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 7 2024, 22:03
Quote from @Rick Albert:

Thank you Rick and it makes sense.  I was curious if any of these companies have a better algorithm factoring these nuances.  The algorithms are different but consistent. Zillow always gives higher price than Redfin, irrespective of the neighborliness and condition of the house.
It can't for a couple of reasons. The first is they can only evaluate a property based on information provided. For example, Zillow does a horrible evaluation of my home because it doesn't factor in the fact that I spent over $200K in an addition, full remodel, and a garage conversion into an ADU. 

The second is the emotional factor. For example two properties could be in the same zip code, but one street is horrible and the other sells for a premium. Zillow would likely just do a radius and call it a day. Another is emotional factors such as views. Two properties can have views. One could be a dead on city view and the other partial. That can change the value but the AVM models can't factor that in.

User Stats

Votes
Edgar U.
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miramar, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miramar, FL
Replied Jun 8 2024, 06:17

If you are in just one market, I highly advice getting access to the MLS for better data for house prices. If you are in multiple markets liked myself. I use all of the data provided (i.e) Redfin, Zillow, Realtor, Xome, etc.

I do believe Redfin/Xomee you could export the data and kinda compare contrast and Realtor you could do same just maybe in a zip code, county wide data. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 8 2024, 09:36
Quote from @Rick Albert:

What you want is you need to find the "range". Says redfin says 800k-1 mil. Zillow says 950k. Your neighbor A is 1.05M. Yoyr neighbour B is 1.01M. They are all still within the same standard deviation. Market is priced based on auction style, so a lousy house can be sold higher than a good home sometimes depending on seasonality and availability of buyers. 

If your neighborhood area has DOM less than 10 days , many times the Zillow is accurate compare to area with DOM>30.