Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Market Trends & Data

User Stats

Votes
Dan Hinz
Votes |
Areas to stay away from in Akron?

Dan Hinz
Posted May 27 2024, 09:32

My business partner and I are looking at buying a property in Akron, OH, but we aren't intimately familiar with the city yet (we both live in Florida).

Other than virtually driving around on Google Maps Street View, does anyone have any suggestions on how to analyze specific areas and neighborhoods?

Our goal is to invest more outside of Florida, so we're open to general advice that will help us analyze other cities and states as well.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Arth
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland / Akron, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland / Akron, OH
Replied May 27 2024, 12:15

@Dan Hinz You may find some valuable information here.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/oh/akron/crime

User Stats

Votes
Brendan Taylor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Akron, OH
Replied May 27 2024, 13:16

Best way to analyze areas is to make a trip and drive around the city. If you are serious, this will be 100% worth whatever time and money you spend to do this. 

I could sit and tell you all zip codes I am comfortable buying in but Akron like many cities almost changes from block to block. There are areas in almost all zip codes I would buy in. 

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
A new type of banking built for RE investors BiggerPockets Prefers Baselane The #1 Real Estate Banking platform trusted by over 40k landlords.

User Stats

Votes
Regina Blake
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied May 28 2024, 03:47

Hi, I would definitely plan a trip to come to Ohio for a real estate investment. As we all know, real estate is a very expensive investment. I would definitely want to see for myself where I am interested in purchasing properties. Honestly, you really cannot go by other's opinions because, you may or may not agree on their opinion after you do your own homework. People from all over the world contact me about investing in Ohio. Come and check out Ohio for yourself and if you have any questions. Please let me know. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Dan Hinz
Votes |
Replied May 28 2024, 06:34

Thank you @Ryan Arth, @Brendan Taylor, and @Regina Blake! I'll start digging into all this. I appreciate it

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Arth
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland / Akron, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland / Akron, OH
Replied May 28 2024, 06:40
Quote from @Brendan Taylor:

Best way to analyze areas is to make a trip and drive around the city. If you are serious, this will be 100% worth whatever time and money you spend to do this. 

I could sit and tell you all zip codes I am comfortable buying in but Akron like many cities almost changes from block to block. There are areas in almost all zip codes I would buy in. 

For sure, driving the area is always the best. And it is usually difficult to recommend areas without context, as you never know what price point and property class someone is targeting. Or what their risk tolerance is. 

His question was about areas to avoid, which was a little more specific than many similar posts asking about neighborhoods. 

User Stats

Votes
Brendan Taylor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Akron, OH
Replied May 28 2024, 06:53
Quote from @Ryan Arth:
Quote from @Brendan Taylor:

For sure, driving the area is always the best. And it is usually difficult to recommend areas without context, as you never know what price point and property class someone is targeting. Or what their risk tolerance is. 

His question was about areas to avoid, which was a little more specific than many similar posts asking about neighborhoods. 

For sure. Like most questions on here a lot more context is needed to truly answer correctly. 

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 30 2024, 09:36
Quote from @Dan Hinz:

My business partner and I are looking at buying a property in Akron, OH, but we aren't intimately familiar with the city yet (we both live in Florida).

Other than virtually driving around on Google Maps Street View, does anyone have any suggestions on how to analyze specific areas and neighborhoods?

Our goal is to invest more outside of Florida, so we're open to general advice that will help us analyze other cities and states as well.

Hey Dan, I'd connect with local real estate agents for market insights and check websites like NeighborhoodScout and GreatSchools.

Since you're interested in investing outside of Florida, I'd recommend that you also look into Columbus Ohio. As someone who works with a lot of out of state investors, Columbus is a top investment spot with strong job growth (Intel, Honda, Amazon, Nationwide) and a growing population. 

As an investor and agent here in Columbus Ohio, if you have any questions or want to connect, definitely reach out!