Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sercan Tuna
Pro Member
Votes |
Upstate NY market price

Sercan Tuna
Pro Member
Posted

Hi all, now that Covid is over is the value of real estate Upstate NY (north of westchester county ) going down since people are moving back to nyc? Is this true or just a rumor?

User Stats

Votes
Dan M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Walden, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Walden, NY
Replied

The value is not going down but you will see price decreases from pressures of qualified buyers and high interest rates. Its not the days of covid sold within a day or a week of listing anymore. In my opinion housing pressure in Dutchess, Putnam, Orange, and Ulster county you will continue to see price increases in the long run ( value ). If we do indeed see a rate drop in 2025 you will see an inverse price increase. 

Without getting into too much detail, the cost to build right now is astronomically high and this is putting upward pressure on the market. Go into Home Depot and see what a gallon of paint sells for. 

User Stats

Votes
Mathew Rebera
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo/Rochester NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Buffalo/Rochester NY
Replied

Hi Sercan,

I agree with Dan. Rate's will continue to drop. I work primarily in Buffalo and Rochester, and I am seeing the market slow down since the beginning of July. That is to say, prices are staying high, and will only rise. It is still more of a sellers market, and I am seeing 5-15 offers on houses in the right area.

I am observing a continuing trend of people leaving NYC and moving upstate. As cost of living continues to rise there, this will remain the narrative. Also, NYC investors looking upstate.

BiggerPockets logo
Time to Refi? Get the Best Loan
|
BiggerPockets
Lender Finder helps secure the best loan for your strategy. Easily connect with top investor-friendly lenders now to lock in lowered rates. 🔒