Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Cape Coral / Ft. Myers Market Update Feb 2024

Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Posted Feb 17 2024, 09:41

Below is the exact email I sent out to all of owners, buyers, and sellers we work with. Because of BP's format the graphs don't present as well but you can scroll and read to the bottom. 

Market Update February 2024

Last year, as I saw the potential for market conditions to change I sent out a couple of market updates to keep our owners informed. In those I had covered my concerns about the market with the overall theme being that there was a storm coming. Although, I felt that we needed more information, I also felt that there were enough signs that the housing and rental market were declining. Below is information validating those concerns. Since the majority of our portfolio is in Cape Coral and Ft Myers the information provided will revolve around those 2 cities.

Single Family Sales
Overall, we are in a buyers’ market from N. Ft. Myers down to Naples. The only exception that I have seen is in Lehigh which is at equilibrium. Both CC and FM have seen exponential increases in inventory – almost doubling 80% and 90% (this converts to 10+ months and 7+ months of inventory), days on market 70% and 160%, and new listings 62% and 24%. They have also seen a huge decrease in closed sales -10% and -14%. Overall, at the moment Ft. Myers is much better off than Cape Coral. According to the data, Cape Coral is in for a wild ride and I advise bracing for impact. As you drive around the city it is evident that the SFH and multifamily builders are not showing any signs of slowing.

Rental Market
The data for rentals is not as readily available as it is for sales, so, we are using some official data and some of our knowledge in the local market. Over the past 8 months we have seen an increase in inventory and days vacant. We have also seen a decrease in rental pricing of about $100 per unit (in CC, Ft Myers has stayed fairly steady). The rental inventory has more than doubled in CC and almost tripled in FM since Oct of 2022 - see above charts. But, over the past 3 months we might have peaked and we have even saw a slight decline in inventory. As for pricing, we have seen the same units in the same buildings decrease in rental price by $100 (in CC) but we have also seen a stabilization of pricing over the last 3 months. The current rental market is nowhere near as dire as the sales market.

My Opinion
Cape Coral - Over the past 1 – 2 months we have had many SFH and Condo sellers reach out to us in a bit of a panic about their house not being sold. They are asking us to help them sell and/or convert them into a rental. ALL of these homeowners have been in Cape Coral. We are starting to see panic selling and homeowners trying to find alternatives to selling. I believe that this trend is going to continue for 6 – 18 months. This may reduce rental prices further but it is hard to say by how much. As we all know, real estate is slow to react, so, even if interest rates drop and the presidency goes in favor of a real estate centric President it will still take some time for the market to reverse its trend. Personally, I am gearing up to buy as many as many SFH’s as I can over the next few months.
Ft. Myers is much more stable than CC because there isn’t as much overbuilding happening. My hunch is that Ft. Myers will decline at a much slower rate and fully stabilize sooner than CC.

In conclusion, the current market is not a good market to sell but it is becoming great for buyers. The rental market is showing signs of stabilization or slight decline. The near future is often cloudy but the distant future is always clear for those who look that far. The successful investor understands that this is not a game of weeks and months but a game of years and decades. Over the next 5 – 10 years, real estate in SWFL will increase in price for sales and rents.

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions.

Thank you,

User Stats

Votes
Joe R.
  • Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Feb 18 2024, 17:51

Adam Bartomeo -- Great market insights.  I see the long term prospects being very bullish for Ft Myers and Cape Coral.  

User Stats

Votes
Neal Coppola
  • Investor
  • Camas, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Camas, WA
Replied Feb 18 2024, 18:10

Thank you for your very clear and concise insight.  Would it be safe to assume that vacant land would follow the same trendlines/sediment as single family in Cape Coral?

BiggerPockets logo
Time to Refi? Get the Best Loan
|
BiggerPockets
Lender Finder helps secure the best loan for your strategy. Easily connect with top investor-friendly lenders now to lock in lowered rates. 🔒

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Feb 19 2024, 04:59

@Joe R. Cape Coral is already a great place to be a buyer and the deals should keep coming. Ft. Myers is good but it is definitely more stable. We will see if it follows the same trend.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Feb 19 2024, 05:03

@Neal Coppola Normally, land is the first to get hit but due to all of the builders and buying lots it has not slowed down as much yet. But, it will. I just listed 2 freshwater canal lots that are the lowest price in Cape Coral. We will see it they sell and how long it will take.

User Stats

Votes
Joe R.
  • Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Feb 19 2024, 06:58
Quote from @Adam Bartomeo:

@Joe R. Cape Coral is already a great place to be a buyer and the deals should keep coming. Ft. Myers is good but it is definitely more stable. We will see if it follows the same trend.

Adam - Are you noticing any difference in pricing trends between fresh new construction and existing single family homes (say 5+ years built or older), on Cape Coral? 

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Feb 19 2024, 07:05

New construction, it is hard to tell since they get it under contract and don't close until it is completed 6 - 18 months later. But, from what I am seeing the builder prices have dropped. All other properties have been dropping in price. There are currently 9,000 properties listed in Lee and Collier counties and 2,000 or 22% took prices drops in the last 7 day alone.

User Stats

Votes
Joe R.
  • Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Feb 19 2024, 07:28

New construction, it is hard to tell since they get it under contract and don't close until it is completed 6 - 18 months later. But, from what I am seeing the builder prices have dropped. All other properties have been dropping in price. There are currently 9,000 properties listed in Lee and Collier counties and 2,000 or 22% took prices drops in the last 7 day alone.

Adam -- I'm in the process of building on the Cape and for the newly permitted builds, I've noticed pricing is coming down on key building materials - roof trusses, windows/doors, shell pricing, etc.  

User Stats

Votes
Neal Coppola
  • Investor
  • Camas, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Camas, WA
Replied Feb 19 2024, 18:30

@Neal Coppola Normally, land is the first to get hit but due to all of the builders and buying lots it has not slowed down as much yet. But, it will. I just listed 2 freshwater canal lots that are the lowest price in Cape Coral. We will see it they sell and how long it will take.

Curious about the lots that you listed.  Are you able to share the addresses?

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Feb 20 2024, 04:17

@Neal Coppola Yes sir! The link below will take you there.

https://matrix.swflamls.com/matrix/shared/Sy8bNppb7Td/2825NW...

User Stats

Votes
Neal Coppola
  • Investor
  • Camas, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Camas, WA
Replied Feb 21 2024, 12:33

You're not kidding, that's a great price!  Guess I'll be hanging on to my lot for a while.  Thanks for sharing.

User Stats

Votes
Joe R.
  • Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Feb 22 2024, 06:44

Adam -- The builders that I network with are having no problem selling new builds, even before the CO is obtained, hence why there hasn't been a noticeable slowdown in the Cape Coral market.  In the monthly home sales figures, I suspect its a tale of two markets.  New builds are far more desirable, and have less total cost of ownership than many of the stick framed, pre-existing, non conforming older homes.  Insurance is WAY cheaper for a new build, as are utilities, because the newer homes are more energy efficient, and also have less need for immediate upgrades.  It would be interesting if the data could be filtered by homes under 2-3 years old vs. everything older for single family to see if this dichotomy exists -- I suspect it does.  

User Stats

Votes
Roman A Elizarov
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 24 2024, 07:20

What a great and clear analysis! Thank you! Compared to those predictions I read earlier, this is the most real one.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Feb 24 2024, 11:33

@Roman A Elizarov Thank you sir!

User Stats

Votes
Joe R.
  • Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Mar 19 2024, 08:15

@Adam Bartomeo I was reviewing the February 2024 market stats for Cape Coral and am seeing that available inventory is now down to 6.8 months.  Is this a blip on the radar or is the trend shifting again in your opinion? 

I know that on my land listings, which are numerous, activity and pending deals have picked up bigly in the past 2 weeks.  

User Stats

Votes
Neal Coppola
  • Investor
  • Camas, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Camas, WA
Replied Mar 19 2024, 12:38
Quote from @Joe R.:

@Adam Bartomeo I was reviewing the February 2024 market stats for Cape Coral and am seeing that available inventory is now down to 6.8 months.  Is this a blip on the radar or is the trend shifting again in your opinion? 

I know that on my land listings, which are numerous, activity and pending deals have picked up bigly in the past 2 weeks.  

A- I love that you used the word "bigly".

B- Thanks for the updated insight.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Mar 20 2024, 13:08

@Joe R. Cape Coral is showing 7.8 MOI for the month of February. So, there was a shift in inventory due to increased sales and sellers pivoting into annual rentals. We brought on 4 new owners this month that decided to rent instead of sell. The numbers for March are not showing a positive trend BUT the data for the current month is never very accurate.

User Stats

Votes
Joe R.
  • Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Mar 20 2024, 16:13

@Joe R. Cape Coral is showing 7.8 MOI for the month of February. So, there was a shift in inventory due to increased sales and sellers pivoting into annual rentals. We brought on 4 new owners this month that decided to rent instead of sell. The numbers for March are not showing a positive trend BUT the data for the current month is never very accurate.

Thank you for weighing in.  I can see where a lot of supply would temporarily disappear if they rent instead of sell ... still a motivated seller, so those units are likely to hit the market in the future.  

User Stats

Votes
Allen Wu
Votes |
Replied Mar 31 2024, 14:52

Below is the exact email I sent out to all of owners, buyers, and sellers we work with. Because of BP's format the graphs don't present as well but you can scroll and read to the bottom. 

Market Update February 2024

Last year, as I saw the potential for market conditions to change I sent out a couple of market updates to keep our owners informed. In those I had covered my concerns about the market with the overall theme being that there was a storm coming. Although, I felt that we needed more information, I also felt that there were enough signs that the housing and rental market were declining. Below is information validating those concerns. Since the majority of our portfolio is in Cape Coral and Ft Myers the information provided will revolve around those 2 cities.

Single Family Sales
Overall, we are in a buyers’ market from N. Ft. Myers down to Naples. The only exception that I have seen is in Lehigh which is at equilibrium. Both CC and FM have seen exponential increases in inventory – almost doubling 80% and 90% (this converts to 10+ months and 7+ months of inventory), days on market 70% and 160%, and new listings 62% and 24%. They have also seen a huge decrease in closed sales -10% and -14%. Overall, at the moment Ft. Myers is much better off than Cape Coral. According to the data, Cape Coral is in for a wild ride and I advise bracing for impact. As you drive around the city it is evident that the SFH and multifamily builders are not showing any signs of slowing.

Rental Market
The data for rentals is not as readily available as it is for sales, so, we are using some official data and some of our knowledge in the local market. Over the past 8 months we have seen an increase in inventory and days vacant. We have also seen a decrease in rental pricing of about $100 per unit (in CC, Ft Myers has stayed fairly steady). The rental inventory has more than doubled in CC and almost tripled in FM since Oct of 2022 - see above charts. But, over the past 3 months we might have peaked and we have even saw a slight decline in inventory. As for pricing, we have seen the same units in the same buildings decrease in rental price by $100 (in CC) but we have also seen a stabilization of pricing over the last 3 months. The current rental market is nowhere near as dire as the sales market.

My Opinion
Cape Coral - Over the past 1 – 2 months we have had many SFH and Condo sellers reach out to us in a bit of a panic about their house not being sold. They are asking us to help them sell and/or convert them into a rental. ALL of these homeowners have been in Cape Coral. We are starting to see panic selling and homeowners trying to find alternatives to selling. I believe that this trend is going to continue for 6 – 18 months. This may reduce rental prices further but it is hard to say by how much. As we all know, real estate is slow to react, so, even if interest rates drop and the presidency goes in favor of a real estate centric President it will still take some time for the market to reverse its trend. Personally, I am gearing up to buy as many as many SFH’s as I can over the next few months.
Ft. Myers is much more stable than CC because there isn’t as much overbuilding happening. My hunch is that Ft. Myers will decline at a much slower rate and fully stabilize sooner than CC.

In conclusion, the current market is not a good market to sell but it is becoming great for buyers. The rental market is showing signs of stabilization or slight decline. The near future is often cloudy but the distant future is always clear for those who look that far. The successful investor understands that this is not a game of weeks and months but a game of years and decades. Over the next 5 – 10 years, real estate in SWFL will increase in price for sales and rents.

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions.

Thank you,
Thanks for the great update. This was so detailed. Do you still have the same view for Cape Coral? I have a duplex in SE CC, on a 2.99% 30 year mortgage. Trying to hang on for as long as I can! 

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Mar 31 2024, 17:17

@Allen Wu Thank you! We have seen an improvement in March in sales and slightly in inventory. 

If you are in SE Cape with a duplex you probably have a 3/2 or 2/2 and probably don't have a garage. You should be getting $1,800+ in rent based on the duplexes we manage. 

The Market Update that I wrote does not include small multifamily. Duplexes, triplexes, and quads are still selling well and we have not seen a reduction in price. It sounds like you should be in a very good situation but I would need to know more details about your investment. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 2 2024, 14:39

This is great insight. Thanks Adam. 

User Stats

Votes
Allen Wu
Votes |
Replied Jun 30 2024, 05:33

Hi Adam - do you have another update on the Cape Coral market? 

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Jun 30 2024, 13:52

@Allen Wu I just posted my most recent update that I sent to my owners

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes