Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dane Moreton
Votes |
Thoughts on current interest rates

Dane Moreton
Posted Jul 24 2023, 12:27

I'm looking to get into my first property as an investor; specifically, a SFH rental. I have $40K for a downpayment, but, as this is an investment property, I am looking at 7.125% APR with 25% down, or 7.5% with 15% down, and 2 points. I am in TX, and the market I am looking to buy in, the median home value has decreased by 3%.

The strategy right now is to build equity and cash flow income (on this, then other properties) until I can get a 25% downpayment for a triplex or fourplex. 

My question is, with these current interest rates, does it make more sense to wait until they come down (when prices may likely rise becuase of it) or jump in on a good deal on a home, with the possibility of refinincing in 2 years when rates will most likely be back down?

Of course, these are assumptions here, but wondering what the experienced investor would propose in this situation, with the current funds in the current market, with the current strategy.

TIA!

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied Jul 24 2023, 13:06

Dane,

Good thing you asked a few questions because those two quotes are high if you have good credit.  Its alwasy best to get a second opinion before you pull the trigger on a new home and financing.  If you wait the property values go up as well as the sale price so even if rates come down your paying more in the long run by waiting.  If you buy now you can refinance in as little as 6 months if and when rates come back down.

There area few other options you can take to get a lower rate and payment.  There are also options for less money down you do not need to put 20-25% down.

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Jul 24 2023, 14:42

@Dane Moreton  
     with these current interest rates, does it make more sense to wait until they come down

What makes you think they will come down? Historically todays's interest rates are not high. They are simply high relative to the extremely low rates of recent years. Also as you pointed out if rates lower prices may rise corespondingly. 

So what is an investor to do? What you should alsways do. Buy when you fine propertis that meet your investment criteria. Don't buy if you cant find properties that meet your criteria. Don't force or try to guess the market. Buy what makes good sense today. 

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Tristan Romero
  • Roseville
Votes |
  • Roseville
Replied Jul 24 2023, 14:59

Hi Dane,

As it seems you already know we don't know where rates are going to be or prices for that matter.Just as @Ned Carey said interest rates aren't actually high relatively speaking for the past 30 years. In any market there are deals to buy you just have to find one that fits in your buy box. Time in the market is better than trying to time the market. That doesn't mean buy any deal but don't be afraid if you find one that fits your buy box. I recently bought my house with a 6.44% rate but I don't care because I own a house now. If you decide to wait you interest rates may go up or stay the same. Stick with your plan of action and move on it! 

Best of luck to you!!! Feel free to reach out anytime.

User Stats

Votes
Dane Moreton
Votes |
Replied Jul 24 2023, 15:40
Quote from @Jason Wray:

Dane,

Good thing you asked a few questions because those two quotes are high if you have good credit.  Its alwasy best to get a second opinion before you pull the trigger on a new home and financing.  If you wait the property values go up as well as the sale price so even if rates come down your paying more in the long run by waiting.  If you buy now you can refinance in as little as 6 months if and when rates come back down.

There area few other options you can take to get a lower rate and payment.  There are also options for less money down you do not need to put 20-25% down.

Thanks, Jason. I have great credit, and went to 3 different lenders (will go to more) and this is where they were on their APR's. What options do you suggest for lower rates, besides a higher down payment? What would you say is a good rate for an investment property purchase in today's market?

User Stats

Votes
Dane Moreton
Votes |
Replied Jul 24 2023, 15:47
Quote from @Ned Carey:

@Dane Moreton  
     with these current interest rates, does it make more sense to wait until they come down

What makes you thin they will come down? Historically todays's interest rates are not high. They are simply high relative to the extremely low rates of recent years. Also as you pointed out if rates lower prices may rise corespondingly. 

So what is an investor to do. What you shuld alswys do. Buy when you fine proertis that meet your investment criteria. Don't buy if you cant find properties that meet your criteria. Don't force or try to guess the market. buy what makes good sense today. 

Thanks, Ned. What makes me think the rates will come down is that the Fed has been raising rates to combat inflation, and there is a possibility of a recession still looming (though it has admittedly been looming for a while). Then, rates would almost certainly be lower, but, again, even experts are wrong about this stuff all the time.

User Stats

Votes
Dane Moreton
Votes |
Replied Jul 24 2023, 15:51
Quote from @Tristan Romero:

Hi Dane,

As it seems you already know we don't know where rates are going to be or prices for that matter.Just as @Ned Carey said interest rates aren't actually high relatively speaking for the past 30 years. In any market there are deals to buy you just have to find one that fits in your buy box. Time in the market is better than trying to time the market. That doesn't mean buy any deal but don't be afraid if you find one that fits your buy box. I recently bought my house with a 6.44% rate but I don't care because I own a house now. If you decide to wait you interest rates may go up or stay the same. Stick with your plan of action and move on it! 

Best of luck to you!!! Feel free to reach out anytime.

Thanks, Tristan. I certainly intend to do my due diligence when purchasing a property. Those deals may just be harder to find at my price point with my criteria. I can only control what I can control, and hopefully I can make a sound decision that will have few, if any, surprises. 

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Jul 25 2023, 05:40

@Dane Moreton

What makes me think the rates will come down is

My guess is I am a lot older than you. I remember my dad, who was a banker, telling me in the 1980s "Ned, you will never see an interest rate of as low as 6% again in yor lifetime." We have had essentially 40 years of declining interst rates. It is possible, though not likely, we could have 40 years of increasing interest rates. 

There is a saying "All things revert to the mean" In other words eventually over the long run, things return to the long run average. Many factors in our economy have been totally out of whack for as long as since the 2008 crash. 

What the fed does afftects daily rates. Mortgage rates are based on 10 year treasuries. These are not directly connected and can go opposite directions. 

User Stats

Votes
Dane Moreton
Votes |
Replied Jul 25 2023, 10:05

Who knows what will happen:

"On the bright side, Morningstar’s housing report predicts mortgage rates declining over the second half of this year. They anticipate an average rate of 6.25% for 2023. This will be followed by further decreases to 5.00% in 2024 and 4.00% in 2025."