Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Luke Maas
Votes |
Real Estate in MO

Luke Maas
Posted

Is Kansas City a good place to invest in? I haven’t seen many people invest there or suggest it as a place to, but I’m not sure why. Why aren’t people suggesting it?

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Lesley
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Collins, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Collins, CO
Replied

Hey @Luke Maas

your question is pretty subjective, since what makes a market worth investing in to someone is relative to a lot of factors such as their risk tolerance, acceptable ROI, investing goals, etc.

But the best people to answer that are going to be real estate professionals and investors that are active in the Kansas City market. So my suggestion would be to get on www.meetup.com and look for meetups that are going on focused on real estate investing. This way you can go and talk to people who are already doing deals and investing in that market and see what they have to say about it and see if the market meets your own investing goals. 

Something else you can do to get an idea of a markets investment potential is, if you're looking at doing Short Term or Medium Term rentals, go to www.AirDNA.com put in Kansas City, MO and look at the overview market report that they provide for free to see if there is good demand among other relevant metrics. 

hope that helps and best of luck on your investing journey 🤝🍀

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied
Quote from @Luke Maas:

Is Kansas City a good place to invest in? I haven’t seen many people invest there or suggest it as a place to, but I’m not sure why. Why aren’t people suggesting it?

Happy to chat. It's not as mainstream compared to other markets. KC is a great area. The new 1.5B Airport was just finished a couple weeks ago. There is also a street car system being built that'll rub North/South in KC. It has seen a lot of appreciation and rent growth with a lot of room to grow. It's a good mix of cash flow and appreciation. I think it'll be more popular in the coming years

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Luke Maas
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Caleb Brown:
Quote from @Luke Maas:

Happy to chat. It's not as mainstream compared to other markets. KC is a great area. The new 1.5B Airport was just finished a couple weeks ago. There is also a street car system being built that'll rub North/South in KC. It has seen a lot of appreciation and rent growth with a lot of room to grow. It's a good mix of cash flow and appreciation. I think it'll be more popular in the coming years

Thanks for the response! I was thinking the same thing, and the reason Texas has been such a big deal recently because it’s cheap, conservative, and low taxes. MO shows similar features and just seems to not be as popular.

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied
Quote from @Luke Maas:
Quote from @Caleb Brown:
Quote from @Luke Maas:

Thanks for the response! I was thinking the same thing, and the reason Texas has been such a big deal recently because it’s cheap, conservative, and low taxes. MO shows similar features and just seems to not be as popular.

Yes. I have seen the past few years activity tick up but I think there's more room to go. 

User Stats

Votes
Wyatt Seidel
  • Investor
  • Kansas City
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kansas City
Replied

Hey Luke this is a great question. As someone mentioned above, it's very subjective to your goals in real estate. My wife and I have had a lot of success here in the KC market with our rentals. We're not super experienced by any means and only have a duplex and a couple single family rentals but they have treated us well. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied

@Luke Maas Kansas City is an extremely popular investment market. We've been active in KC for over 10 years and have had a lot of success. Whether it's a good market for you depends on your goals and objective. If your goal is cash flow and long term income and equity, then I would say it's a great market. These are the the factors that make it good:
1. Affordable housing
2. Growing population
3. Job growth
4. Modern/diverse economy
5. Strong, growing rents
6. Landlord friendly
7. Reasonable property taxes and insurance rates

I'd be happy to share my insights and experiences in the KC market if you want to reach out. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied
Quote from @Luke Maas:
Quote from @Caleb Brown:
Quote from @Luke Maas:

Texas doesn't have income tax but they have some of the highest property taxes and insurance rates in the nation. It's hard to get good cash flow because of that.

User Stats

Votes
Steven May
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied

All great points - Kansas City has served as a great rental market for me to build more portfolio in and closed 55 transactions last year with out of state buyers who came here for great cash flow and appreciation. We act as boots on the ground for all aspects of investing to find our out of state clients great returns on their investments!