Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Alexander
  • Realtor
  • Lawrenceville, GA
Votes |
Metro Atlanta Market

Ryan Alexander
  • Realtor
  • Lawrenceville, GA
Posted Jul 12 2022, 21:07

Hi BP community, 

Being a real estate agent in and around Atlanta we, like agents in most other areas, have seen a meteoric rise, some homes almost doubling in price over the past 3-4 years. As we all understand, this is not sustainable and we are starting to see this here as the average interest rate climbs to 5.75%-6%. The rising intrest rates coupled with home prices holding at all time highs (for now) have pushed many home buyers out of the market entirely. Now with a basic understanding of supply and demand we can infer that if supply stays the same and demand falls the price must fall as well. According to market stats provided by First multiple listing service, in January the months supply was at 1.1, this means that it would take 1.1 months to sell through the inventory at the time the calculation was taken. As of June we were at a 1.8 months supply. Now this metric is indicative of the current supply, but the same economic principles apply and that is that if the supply increases by 60% in 6 months the price must also fall. Now to go full circle, the truth is that the supply did not just randomly jump, the rising intrest rates have pushed buyers out of the market resulting in a surplus of inventory. 

Now that we certainly are experiencing the market shift beneath our we can do one of two things. 

1. Freak out because the world is on fire and we are all going to die.....

2. OR we can pivot our strategies by having high level conversations and taking tips from what we see in this group. 

My conclusion, I wish I had a crystal ball but I don’t and probably none of you do either. So we must rely on facts and statistics.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 13 2022, 07:19

@Ryan Alexander, the point for investors specifically, it's important to stay on top of and analyze the market even with the uncertainty we're experiencing now. The bottom line, if the deal still pencils out with high-interest rates, buy and hold. This is a principle that's taught time and again. Unfortunately, I'm starting to hear newer investors especially backing out due to fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Not to sound like a broken record, but be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful. Point number two is spot on, it's time to pivot strategies and adjust our investment plans with the market. Consistency and adaptation are what sets apart successful investors from those who sit on the sidelines waiting for a "crash" to happen until they buy.

User Stats

Votes
Bolanle Ogunmakin
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 15 2022, 11:35

@Ryan Alexander Great post and insight! Any advice on pivoting strategies? 

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Alexander
  • Realtor
  • Lawrenceville, GA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Lawrenceville, GA
Replied Jul 19 2022, 06:18
Quote from @Bolanle Ogunmakin:

@Ryan Alexander Great post and insight! Any advice on pivoting strategies? 

I would stay in the market continue analyzing deals and look more long term, because we know when markets dip all that means is discounted real estate. Also homes over 400K are getting harder and harder to sell due to buyer financing falling through so maybe look in a higher price point for homes that have been on the market longer than 14-21 days. There may not be anything wrong with it, the home may just be over priced. 

User Stats

Votes
Bolanle Ogunmakin
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 19 2022, 08:19

@Ryan Alexander Thanks for the solid advice! 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Anderson
Pro Member
  • Clayton, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Clayton, GA
Replied Jul 20 2022, 20:18
I just sold my primary in Atlanta specifically Roswell. By many accounts its the most over valued market in the US.. Up there with Boise. I am sure deal can be found, but ask yourself if you feel the most over valued market is going to generally be higher in the coming years than it is today with raising interest rates.

https://www.thegeorgiavirtue.c...

User Stats

Votes
Vinnie Da silva
  • Lender
  • Alpharetta, GA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Alpharetta, GA
Replied Jul 21 2022, 15:47

What I see from the lending side is that builders are panicking. There are still a lot of new construction still being built and not enough people interested since rates is up around 6%+. They are lowering agents commission whether the buyer uses their lender or not. Some builders are still at 3%, but I'm seeing a lot of them at 1.5 - 2.5 or even 4k flat fee in some cases. They are limiting the commission on the base price instead of the final purchase price. Some builders are even offering 4.99% fixed interest right now, where rates are still above 6%.