Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Ask About A Real Estate Company
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Cedric Casby
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Rich Dad, Poor Dad

Cedric Casby
  • Houston, TX
Posted

I recently purchased a 3-day seminar package and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience with Rich Dad, Poor Dad in general.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Fernandez
  • Investor
  • Watertown, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Watertown, NY
Replied

Attending the 299 course today, sat and sun.  I'll drop a play by play on how it goes.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Fernandez
  • Investor
  • Watertown, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Watertown, NY
Replied

Honestly, it's been pitch after pitch but super subtle and without ever being said. I will admit that some of the stuff was interesting to learn, but wouldn't try unless vetted.

Increasing your credit limits to improve your credit score by never actually spending the money via courtesy checks....couldn't imagine why?

How to HELOC a home without owning but controlling it....>.>

How to play up a life-story no one really asked for (He used the military, but some things didn't add up)...>.>

but that's just day 2.

I will admit that I would pay 12K and check out a class just to use the software that pulls comps, within parameters, finds spreads and deals on the MLS, finds pre-foreclosures, foreclosures, generates contracts, houses contact data, sets up the market for you.

It just makes life easier, and if I can do a few wholesale deals through it, then boom, it's been paid for. And if I can keep finding deals, I am pretty sure it's a gold mine.

Note: Tried doing some due diligence, and it just happens that a lot of naysayers hate the Rich Dad system (95% sounded like buyers remorse), but with the amount that go through the classes, I wonder why none of the people who actually go to a class say anything about it(if they do, it's just very neutral). 

I'll let you know how Day 3 goes. 

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Knoll
  • Investor
  • Sandy, UT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Sandy, UT
Replied

I really liked "The Millionaire Real Estate Investor".

http://www.amazon.com/The-Millionaire-Real-Estate-...

I don't think anyone can argue that Gary Keller, cofounder of the Keller Williams empire, is a "dream peddler". There's a good chance that someone ghost-wrote this book for him, but the ideas in it (personal finance, building leverage, flip vs buy-and-hold, buy-it-right) are both concrete and several steps beyond the BiggerPockets guide. Sure, he has a whole series of RE books, but this one pretty much stands on its own.

For more day-to-day property management, I've been relying on this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Landlording-Handymanual-Scru...

For pure dream peddling, Dolf de Roos "Real Estate Riches" is absolute genius, also a free PDF. You can't beat that!

User Stats

Votes
Alex Hamilton
  • Property Manager
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Replied
Originally posted by @Joe Butcher:

@Cedric Casby yeah thats what everyone says about my name!

I read Rich Dad and it was very motivating and I can see the seminar being motivating to you and thats good.

I tend to be against spending a lot of money on seminars, but I'm not anti-seminar in general. I would just rather attend the ones put on by my REIA group. They are super cheap (20 bucks) topic-specific and put on by locals who you can connect with....I am attracted to the more grass roots, DIY kind of ethic.

That being said there is no rah-rah there.......the information that is going to make you money should be motivation enough.

You got it, all the money is in the sell of these books and seminars.  Experience is the best teacher.  Find a good deal, do that deal and repeat buying low and selling high as often as possible, and that is not over simplified but, 

is a summation of every real estate guru sale.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Hamilton
  • Property Manager
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Replied
Originally posted by @Joe Butcher:

@Cedric Casby yeah thats what everyone says about my name!

I read Rich Dad and it was very motivating and I can see the seminar being motivating to you and thats good.

I tend to be against spending a lot of money on seminars, but I'm not anti-seminar in general. I would just rather attend the ones put on by my REIA group. They are super cheap (20 bucks) topic-specific and put on by locals who you can connect with....I am attracted to the more grass roots, DIY kind of ethic.

That being said there is no rah-rah there.......the information that is going to make you money should be motivation enough.

You got it, all the money is in the sell of these books and seminars.  Experience is the best teacher.  Find a good deal, do that deal and repeat buying low and selling high as often as possible, and that is not over simplified but, 

is a summation of every real estate guru sale.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Fernandez
  • Investor
  • Watertown, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Watertown, NY
Replied

Day 3 was a game changer, not for RE but the pitches just turned into why can't you do this? I just saved you that money! Rah Rah rah. I didn't sign up, but if that software actually works as intended.  Definitely worth it if you can bypass the analysis paralysis phase.  I would probably attend any 3 day just a for the software.  Once my wholesaling is very consistent, then I honestly, it's a drop in the bucket for what it could produce, even if it only did half the stuff it say it does.  

Has anyone used the software? Can anyone rebuke it? I haven't read anything online saying otherwise.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Heck
  • Webster, KY
Votes |
  • Webster, KY
Replied

I just attended the Rich Dad Poor Dad Seminar which cost $500. It was promised in the previous free seminar that they would work with you to develop a strategy. I can honestly say roughly 90% of the 3 day seminar was a pushy sales pitch by Legacy Education. I like many others read the RDPD book and many other RDPD books. What was promised and delivered were not in line at all. I asked the salesman in the one on one meeting what they would actually sale the personal training for and he said he couldn't budge because of the integrity of the company. I informed him that there were a lot of poor people in the room searching for ways to better themselves and the integrity of the RDPD brand was shot in my eyes. He then got ruffled and sent me back in the room. Save yourself some $$ and seek out sights like BP and local mentors.

User Stats

Votes
Allyn W.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Iwakuni-Shi, Yamaguchi
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Iwakuni-Shi, Yamaguchi
Replied

I have read the book and thoroughly agree, our education system fails to teach our students about how money works.  Excellent read.