How do you find "Sold" prices for MLS listings?

How do you find "Sold" prices for MLS listings?

Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 2 votes

Hi BP community,


I'm looking to purchase my first rental property in Northern Ontario cities like north bay, sudbury etc

I'm trying to get a better understanding of what properties are being sold for in those areas. I have an idea from the list price, however as we've seen in places like Toronto, houses are being listed under value and often being sold over asking price. So to get a better knowledge of how much to budget, I'm looking to gather information on what properties are being sold for compared to the listing price. I typically use zolo for this, but I've found that while it works great for the bigger cities like Toronto, Waterloo etc, it doesn't have as much information on cities such as North Bay. What tools do you use to gather this information?

1Reply
146 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes
4y
Quote from @Babatunde Akinpelu:

Hi BP community,


I'm looking to purchase my first rental property in Northern Ontario cities like north bay, sudbury etc

I'm trying to get a better understanding of what properties are being sold for in those areas. I have an idea from the list price, however as we've seen in places like Toronto, houses are being listed under value and often being sold over asking price. So to get a better knowledge of how much to budget, I'm looking to gather information on what properties are being sold for compared to the listing price. I typically use zolo for this, but I've found that while it works great for the bigger cities like Toronto, Waterloo etc, it doesn't have as much information on cities such as North Bay. What tools do you use to gather this information?


 In Calgary I found calgarymlx.com

You can also look at honestdoor.com which has sold prices 

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Van Isle · Member since 2021 · 455 posts · 226 votes
    4y

    In this market, it's deal by deal. You need a Realtor to feed you real time MLS data. Anything else is historical.

  • Realtor · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 132 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Babatunde Akinpelu:

    Hi BP community,


    I'm looking to purchase my first rental property in Northern Ontario cities like north bay, sudbury etc

    I'm trying to get a better understanding of what properties are being sold for in those areas. I have an idea from the list price, however as we've seen in places like Toronto, houses are being listed under value and often being sold over asking price. So to get a better knowledge of how much to budget, I'm looking to gather information on what properties are being sold for compared to the listing price. I typically use zolo for this, but I've found that while it works great for the bigger cities like Toronto, Waterloo etc, it doesn't have as much information on cities such as North Bay. What tools do you use to gather this information?


     In Calgary I found calgarymlx.com

    You can also look at honestdoor.com which has sold prices 

  • Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Dwayne Poster:

    In this market, it's deal by deal. You need a Realtor to feed you real time MLS data. Anything else is historical.


     Thanks Dwayne, are you investing in those areas? Would appreciate referrals for realtors

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Does Zillow operate in Canada? I use Zillow to see recently sold properties.

  • Investor · North Bay, Ontario · Member since 2019 · 221 posts · 99 votes
    4y

    @Babatunde Akinpelu We live and invest in North Bay ON. Your best bet is to find an investor-focused realtor in that area that has access to Geowarehouse.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    I use Zillow as well, they have a 'SOLD' category...

  • Specialist · Johnson City, TN · Member since 2021 · 139 posts · 146 votes
    4y

    How would you account for seller concessions? 

  • Member since 2020 · 45 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    Great question! 
    I’m a Realtor in Toronto who specializes in Investor a and first s time home buyers in Ontario. Let me know if you need any help. 

    I have the information on solds. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Peterborough, ON · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    I would definitely recommend connecting with a local Northern Ontario Realtor to best help you and give you the local 'edge'. If you are still looking to connect with a local realtor, let me know if you have decided on a specific area and I can recommend a name or two (depending on the area, Timmins I can recommend a few!).

  • Investor · Van Isle · Member since 2021 · 455 posts · 226 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Babatunde Akinpelu:
    Quote from @Dwayne Poster:

    In this market, it's deal by deal. You need a Realtor to feed you real time MLS data. Anything else is historical.


     Thanks Dwayne, are you investing in those areas? Would appreciate referrals for realtors


     I am out west on Van Island. I would recommend the Realtors that dominate the listings in your target area. Good luck

  • Toronto, ON · Member since 2018 · 102 posts · 61 votes
    4y

    You may also try HouseSigma.com

  • Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Mackenzie Dobson:

    I would definitely recommend connecting with a local Northern Ontario Realtor to best help you and give you the local 'edge'. If you are still looking to connect with a local realtor, let me know if you have decided on a specific area and I can recommend a name or two (depending on the area, Timmins I can recommend a few!).


     Thank Mackenzie. Just sent you a DM

  • Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Melanie Dupuis:

    @Babatunde Akinpelu We live and invest in North Bay ON. Your best bet is to find an investor-focused realtor in that area that has access to Geowarehouse.


     Thanks Melanie. I just sent you a DM

  • Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nicole Heasley Beitenman:

    Does Zillow operate in Canada? I use Zillow to see recently sold properties.


     Unfortunately, no it does not.

  • Investor · Ontario & Michigan · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    @Kash Jawed Great suggestion. I use it all the time. Though, not every property will be found on HouseSigma, but it is definitely a great resource!

  • Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    I use HouseSigma like others have mentioned but I also have a realtor that I use consistently to purchase and she will send me monthly reports on what houses were listed for vs sold for as well as other useful stats. 

  • Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    Hi Babatunde,


    You can use House Sigma its an app on android or iphone to see sold prices


  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Anthony Therrien-Bernard:
    Quote from @Babatunde Akinpelu:

    Hi BP community,


    I'm looking to purchase my first rental property in Northern Ontario cities like north bay, sudbury etc

    I'm trying to get a better understanding of what properties are being sold for in those areas. I have an idea from the list price, however as we've seen in places like Toronto, houses are being listed under value and often being sold over asking price. So to get a better knowledge of how much to budget, I'm looking to gather information on what properties are being sold for compared to the listing price. I typically use zolo for this, but I've found that while it works great for the bigger cities like Toronto, Waterloo etc, it doesn't have as much information on cities such as North Bay. What tools do you use to gather this information?


     In Calgary I found calgarymlx.com

    You can also look at honestdoor.com which has sold prices 


     The CalgaryMix site is great, thanks Anthony

  • Real Estate Agent · Hamilton Ontario, Canada · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 17 votes
    4y

    Use HouseSigma, it's a great app for your phone that can allow you to look things up quickly.  You won't necessarily have access to all the stats that you need to make an informed decision to purchase however it's great if you are out and driving around and see something.

    Best bet is to establish a relationship with a realtor that understands your long term objectives, we can give you everything as we have access to the Ontario MLS database as well as land titles.

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Babatunde Akinpelu:
    Quote from @Dwayne Poster:

    In this market, it's deal by deal. You need a Realtor to feed you real time MLS data. Anything else is historical.


     Thanks Dwayne, are you investing in those areas? Would appreciate referrals for realtors


     Hey Babatunde, I have a great realtor here in Calgary if you would like her contact information! she works with a variety of investors

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Halifax, NS · Member since 2021 · 46 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    @Babatunde Akinpelu I live in Nova Scotia. I use the ViewPoint app and tag properties as my favorite. When they sell I get the notification and once sold I can see what I sold for by viewing the property.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.