Tenant moved out - damages exceed security deposit - Ridgefield, CT

Tenant moved out - damages exceed security deposit - Ridgefield, CT

Yonkers, NY · Member since 2017 · 57 posts · 10 votes

I have a multi-family in Ridgefield, CT.  I refused to renew the lease for one tenant which they've been there for 4 years.  They left yesterday, and the place is in shambles.  It wasn't in this condition when I checked it a few months ago.

1) holes in walls and bad patch job

2) They super-glued a faucet knob which now doesn't work

4) They bent a towel rod

5) They dented the stove vent hood (needs to be replaced)

6) They stained the butcher block and it cannot be repaired. The stain is so deep, it has to be replaced.

7) The wood floors are scratched, so we're renting a sander to attempt to sand and poly

8) All the closet doors have holes like they were kicked or punched

9) All the baseboard heaters are bent

10) There's two cracks in the bathroom counter.  It needs to be replaced

11) A lot of wall patching

12) They cracked or broke the glass ceiling fan light bulb cover

13) Installed shower rod is rusted and has to be replaced

14) The place is filthy

15) They took with them both the ring cameras and ring doorbell (not theirs)


I have the before pictures from 2021 and it looks like a hurricane came through.  I have documented everything and I have 15 days to mail them the proof.  I am mailing them a breakdown of the costs for repairs and supplies along with receipts from Home Depot.  I have 3.5k in security (plus some interest.  We're looking between 7k-10k to make the unit rent ready again.  Should I mention in the letter that we will forgive the balance owed?  Doubtful they have the funds to pay.

I'd rather not upload the pictures so they are not on the Interweb.

1Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

Why would you ever forgive the balance? Put them in collections and get as much from them as you possibly can!

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Meriden, CT · Member since 2018 · 698 posts · 500 votes
    1y

    @Kenny M. - You should obviously keep the whole security deposit and I would turn them over to collections.  I own a PM company in CT so it is pretty easy to send someone over to collections on my side.  We do not often get money back but it helps the next company know what they are getting themselves into.

    I would not mention anything in your security deposit about forgiving their debt.  I'd demand them pay or you will be sending them to collections.  In this case, if they have good credit you may be able to get them onto a payment plan.  Worst case, they won't pay but that will definitely happen if you tell them you will forgive the amount.

    You may want to talk to a PM for the future.  I don't manage that area but I know some good PM companies that might.  DM me if you would like to discuss anything additional about this.

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Keep their deposit and take them to small claims for the rest of it. If you win a judgement, send it to a collections agency. Unfortunately, this isn't terribly uncommon for self managers. 

    I'd highly recommend you hire an excellent PM once the unit is ready. People always think they will save money by managing themselves, but that is obviously not the case.

    Best of luck!

  • Yonkers, NY · Member since 2017 · 57 posts · 10 votes
    1y

    They actually did this destruction over the past 45 days.  I was there with pictures and a video in January; it didn't look like this.  I was just unclear of the updated CT laws.  A PM is not necessary.  I have 12 homes I manage; haven't had an issue like this since 2019.

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Why would you ever forgive the balance? Put them in collections and get as much from them as you possibly can!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.