Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Nina Penuela
  • Property Manager
  • Florence, AL
Votes |
Quality or Pricing?

Nina Penuela
  • Property Manager
  • Florence, AL
Posted Jul 10 2024, 14:32

When evaluating property management services, pricing is often a primary consideration. However, I'm curious about your approach: What factors would you weigh when deciding between managing your own property versus hiring a professional management service?

User Stats

Votes
Bhargav Hirapara
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay Area
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay Area
Replied Jul 10 2024, 14:40

I think these important to consider: 

1. Time availability: Property management is time-consuming. Assess if you have enough time for tasks like tenant screening and maintenance.
  2. Expertise: Professional managers know landlord-tenant laws and property maintenance best practices.
  3. Cost vs. benefit: Weigh management fees against potential savings and efficiencies professionals might offer.
  4. Property location: Distance from your home to the property matters.
  5. Number of units: More properties increase management complexity.
  6. Stress tolerance: Consider your comfort level with tenant interactions and problem-solving.
  7. Long-term goals: Professional management can free you to focus on expanding your real estate portfolio.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
#5 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
#5 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Jul 11 2024, 04:27

Price, as defined by monthly commission, is much lower on the totem pole. First is experience handling property management, are they themselves investors, processes for handling maintenance, evictions, collects, and then maybe the fees and pricing (commission, lease fee, release fee, inspection fees, and all of the other garbage fees most PM's make up).

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jul 11 2024, 05:13

@Nina Penuela investors are notoriously cheap and naive!

Many think all PMCs do the same things, the same way, so chase the lowest price to the detriment of all else.

Search here on BP for the horror story posts of dealing with bad PMCs and how they can run even the best properties into the ground.

Then, ask yourself your question again:)

User Stats

Votes
Michael McVety
Property Manager
  • Fort Myers
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Fort Myers
Replied Jul 12 2024, 09:22

Hi Nina.

If I were not experienced in land lording and property manager, I would look personally to the extent you want to learn or experience property management versus hiring someone else that you trust to do the job.

Yes, the cost for a property manager is important but not essential- the cost between property managers are not double or triple the cost of others (say like attorneys in some areas of law or cars).  It is more about whether you gain value for having the property management and their cost.

A number of years ago, a property we managed was sold to a person who was a stock broker and he was going to manage it himself.  I gave him my thoughts about the property and he looked at me and said, "You are probably laughing at me right now knowing what I am about to go through by self-managing".  He was a smart guy who wanted to self manage.  I was not sure if he left trading and wanted to be a landlord full-time.   I answered him that he will learn to be a real estate property manager if that is what he wants to do.  

Sometimes people want to learn and go through the process of self-managing and making mistakes, other times people realize that that thought may not be wise and choose to hand it to someone they trust.  I think that the cost of the management is not as important as the trust and the piece of mind someone might get from hiring a great property manager.

User Stats

Votes
Craig Gerulski
  • Property Manager
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jul 12 2024, 14:35

When deciding between managing your own property or hiring a professional service, consider these key factors: your available time and expertise, knowledge of local regulations, property scale and location, access to reliable maintenance resources, tenant management capabilities, financial implications, emergency responsiveness, and personal preference for hands-on versus delegated management. These factors will help you determine which option best fits your needs and circumstances.