Skip to content
Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Maria M.
Votes |
Rent increase notice if lease already signed?

Maria M.
Posted May 7 2024, 18:29

Hello, I have a question about the procedure for rent increase. Since l had to increase rent for a tenant, l first talked about it via phone and text message (it’s very difficult to communicate with them via email), then signed the new lease.
My question is, if they already signed a lease with the new amount stated, do I still need to notify them via certified mail? I am in Florida, which requires written notice for rent increase. The lease is a standard lease and doesn’t mention anything about how notices have to be delivered. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Replied May 8 2024, 05:08
A signed lease is a legally-binding document.  You are not required to notify them of the new rent if it was on the lease they signed.

User Stats

Votes
Maria M.
Votes |
Replied May 8 2024, 11:12
Quote from @Greg Scott:
A signed lease is a legally-binding document.  You are not required to notify them of the new rent if it was on the lease they signed.

Thank you very much for the clear answer!
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ecaterina Katerina Morosan
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Replied May 9 2024, 06:44

Yes, the lease renewal signed by both parties is just enough.

User Stats

Votes
Diego Curbelo
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
Replied May 21 2024, 05:57

Completely agree with Greg Scott's clear response, the signed lease is legally-binding. Maria I wanted to add a bit more context to the discussion. In Florida, the written notice requirement is standard practice to ensure transparency and clear communication. Your tenant has already signed the new lease, which confirms his agreement to the new rent amount, sending that notice via certified mail can act as an extra layer of documentation that can be helpful in maintaining clear records. 

My company ensures all legal requirements and best practices are followed meticulously. If you ever need help managing these processes or have any further questions, feel free to reach out. We specialize in managing the multi-family asset class here in the Miami-FTL area. We're here to help!

User Stats

Votes
Mackaylee Beach
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied May 21 2024, 06:00

The signed lease is sufficient as a legally binding contract, confirming their acceptance of the new rent amount.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Baldwin
Legal Services
  • Attorney
  • Pensacola, FL
Votes |
Legal Services
  • Attorney
  • Pensacola, FL
Replied May 22 2024, 06:25

If the tenancy is an at-will tenancy, you would ordinarily have to give notice pursuant to F.S. 83.57 to increase rent. E.g. if it's a month-to-month tenancy, give 30 days written notice of the rent increase prior to the end of the monthly period. 

But if the tenant signed an agreement for the increased rent amount, that is sufficient to bind the tenant to the contract terms.