Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Joe Windsor
Votes |
Cameras on Properties

Joe Windsor
Posted Apr 26 2024, 14:01

My wife and I own a duplex in Missouri and live in NC and are hoping to get another unit out here. Does anyone have knowledge to cameras on your properties. Can we put cameras on the outside of our properties or is that an invasion of privacy?

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
#2 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Replied Apr 26 2024, 14:12

If you are putting up cameras to monitor your tenants, such as putting a camera over the patio, that would probably be an invasion of privacy.  If you put up cameras to monitor other people, such as a camera by the front door to look for porch pirates, or one monitoring a back alley due to recent vandalism, the tenants would probably appreciate that.

User Stats

Votes
Laura Stayton
  • Property Manager
  • Delaware
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Delaware
Replied Apr 27 2024, 16:24
Quote from @Joe Windsor:

My wife and I own a duplex in Missouri and live in NC and are hoping to get another unit out here. Does anyone have knowledge to cameras on your properties. Can we put cameras on the outside of our properties or is that an invasion of privacy?

You cannot have access to cameras.  Your tenant can use them with their internet service if they like.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael McKinney
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Apr 30 2024, 12:09

This would be an invasion of privacy. At least here in Texas, they can have access to the cameras but you cannot.

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Abeyta
  • Property Manager
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied May 1 2024, 10:07

I do not recommend putting cameras on the property. If you are worried about something reasonable, you could pay someone to drive by the property every month. If you are worried about the tenant smoking in the property, you could have someone complete annual inspections. Cameras are a bad idea, and ignoring the breach of privacy issue, it will likely lead to you micromanaging the tenant. 

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied May 2 2024, 21:17

Invasion of privacy and likely "creepy" for the residents to feel they are being watched.