Tenant wants to have RV on land

Tenant wants to have RV on land

Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 2 votes

So I have a tenant who recently moved out of my residence on good terms, actually helped me find some one to take there spot who has been a fantastic tenant so far. They recently came to me asking if they could rent space to put an RV on the triplex that they originally were renting in. 

So I guess my question is how much or should i even let them do this, they were a great tenant when there paid rent on time and early, then they hit hard times and couldn't afford the unit they were at any more. So I guess im looking for advice. 

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael SmytheBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y

Check with municipality if they allow this

Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2023 · 459 posts · 474 votes
    2y

    Sounds like an opportunity for increase revenue from that property! I would set up hookups for water, sewer and electric according to code and write a lease for it that makes sense.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Will Reed:

    There is potential to increase revenue, but you need to think this through. Is it allowed by zoning? How will they get water, electric, or access to septic? Do you have a designated parking spot, or will they be on the lawn or take a parking spot from one of your other tenants? Is it a nice RV, or is it a piece of trash that will downgrade your property's appearance? How will the neighbors react?

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Will Reed  Consider zoning first.   You can camp in an RV 200 yards from me with no hookups but I would be required to have hookups for someone to live in an RV on my property. Read the rules carefully.  If it is storage that might be different but then you have to be sure no one is living in it. 

  • Member since 2023 · 84 posts · 35 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Will Reed:

    So I have a tenant who recently moved out of my residence on good terms, actually helped me find some one to take there spot who has been a fantastic tenant so far. They recently came to me asking if they could rent space to put an RV on the triplex that they originally were renting in. 

    So I guess my question is how much or should i even let them do this, they were a great tenant when there paid rent on time and early, then they hit hard times and couldn't afford the unit they were at any more. So I guess im looking for advice. 


     Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Walmart allows RVs to park over night for free FYI

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y

    Is it literally to park it or to live in it?  If the latter, that's a hard no.  They can either find a campground with hookups (many towns have campgrounds) or park it in a big box store that allows overnight camping (eg Walmart).

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y

    Just NO....

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Jordan Myer   Lots of walmarts don't allow overnight camping anymore.  Depends on where you are. 

  • Property Manager · Centennial, CO · Member since 2024 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    Hello Will,

    What an interesting request, not to say I am surprised at all. Property Management always seems to provide challenging topics to explore :)  I agree with the others who aforementioned zoning considerations, water/electricity hook-ups needed. In addition I would recommend you take into consideration the existing leases on the triplex property. Would this RV  allowance overlap with their leased premises, amenities, permissible activities?  Honestly, I know additional rent can be tempting but I feel this is one of those requests that would end up more trouble than it's worth. Best of luck!

    Erin

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    Check with municipality if they allow this

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.