Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sylvia H.
Votes |
Housing Agency tenant referral gone bust

Sylvia H.
Posted

I recently had an apartment for rent and was approached by The Connections. It's a housing agency that replaces people into housing. I've dealt with them in the past and have had success so I wasn't worried when they referred this woman to me. She seemed very nice. She had a 1 year old daughter who was very well behaved. I rented her the apartment after doing my usual prior eviction checks, criminal checks, etc. I did my homework as I do with all of my units. 30 days into her lease I get a complaint from the condo association that said she was overdosed and running and screaming in the hallways and banging on everyone's door. That night she was taken to the hospital over dosed on fentanyl  and her child was appropriately place in foster care. 

Upon learning that she had over dosed the Connections in Middletown informed me that they would pay through the eviction as well as find her housing to get her help and out of there. Two days later they discharged her from the program and left me holding the bag in now having to evict her, which is not going to be easy because although I can get her out for noise complaints it is not easy nor quick.  I feel this agency knowingly gave me a tenant on drugs. Didn't tell me this was her background and then left me holding the bag. It is going to cost me thousands to evict, lost rent, not to mention the apartment was recently renovated and I shutter to think of what the unit will look like after this woman and her drugged out friends will leave the place looking like. I understand that illegal drug activity is grounds to be discontinued from a state or federal program like Section 8 however if there have been no arrests or convictions it because a he said she said deal. Which leads me to believe that they are indeed responsible for at least paying the rent until such time as she is out of the unit. Anyone ever experience anything like this? Much appreciated. 

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Eddinger
  • Meriden, CT
Votes |
  • Meriden, CT
Replied

@Sylvia H. - We have had luck with some of the agencies and bad luck with others.  It really is agency specific.  You got unlucky in this case as people that need help sometimes are not willing to continue to utilize the support they are offered.

In general, I screen tenants with agencies like with any other tenant.  If the applicant has a long criminal record, I reject even if they do have support from an agency.

I've had luck with shelter plus care and the connections in the past (I have one connections currently that transferred to Section 8).  I've had mixed bag with IRIS.

I'd be happy to talk about this further but just like with Section 8, if a tenant stops paying or needs to be evicted, it is on us (the housing provider) to get them out.  Frequently, they will even keep their voucher (which is crazy).  DM if you would like to discuss this further.

User Stats

Votes
Sylvia H.
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Samuel Eddinger:

@Sylvia H. - We have had luck with some of the agencies and bad luck with others.  It really is agency specific.  You got unlucky in this case as people that need help sometimes are not willing to continue to utilize the support they are offered.

In general, I screen tenants with agencies like with any other tenant.  If the applicant has a long criminal record, I reject even if they do have support from an agency.

I've had luck with shelter plus care and the connections in the past (I have one connections currently that transferred to Section 8).  I've had mixed bag with IRIS.

I'd be happy to talk about this further but just like with Section 8, if a tenant stops paying or needs to be evicted, it is on us (the housing provider) to get them out.  Frequently, they will even keep their voucher (which is crazy).  DM if you would like to discuss this further.

Sam thank you so much for your wise advice. My apologies for responding so late. I haven't been online and only saw this today. I will definitely reach out to you. We landlords have to stick together. Thanks for the advice

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Eddinger
  • Meriden, CT
Votes |
  • Meriden, CT
Replied

@Sylvia H. - no problem!