Rookie investor here, I have two properties in atlanta and I live in the west coast. I am planning to break up with my property management and I'm looking for advice on the best property management software. Biggerpockets recommends rentredi, looks cool but looking for any feedback. Also I am taking a leap of faith after fellow biggerpockets members suggested I could market on my own.
It would be great if you guys could give me some tips on how to find a good tenant soon. I know we can list a premium with rentredi on zillow and few other websites but again, looking for recommendations/personal experiences.
Property Manager · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 269 posts · 135 votes
3y
Of course, there's no perfect software but I'd go with Innago. I've been using them for years and have enjoyed them. Plus it's free for landlords/property owners. Customer support is always helpful and quick to respond as well.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
3y
Software is a common question on BiggerPockets. Here are some things to consider:
Most investors don't need software until they have 5-10 rentals. All you need is a single place to track tenant information, payment history, maintenance, and a few other things. You can easily do this on a spreadsheet and it will take less time to track than it would to find and learn a new software. If the software is not simplifying your life or making you more accurate, you shouldn't use it.
Software does have extremely helpful features like online payments, marketing syndication (click a button and your property is advertised on multiple sites), electronic document review/signing, maintenance tracking, and owner reports. But do you really need that for your one rental?
There's no perfect software out there. Every system you try will have flaws or you'll salivate over a feature that shows up in other software.
Some common names you'll see thrown around a lot: Stessa, Apartments.com, RentRedi, TenantCloud, Innago, RentManager, Avail, Rentec Direct, Doorloop, etc.
I recommend you search for each of those apps online and see what they offer, how much they charge, etc. Make a simple spreadsheet or written list with the features of each and see which ones appeal to you most. Try to narrow it down to your top 3-4. Once you have a short list, get an account with each one and run them through the wringer to see how they really function. Do one task at a time in each app so you can compare apples to apples.
Load a property with pictures and details.
Market that property.
See what your marketing looks like from the public's perspective.
Submit a fake application to see how easy the process is.
Run a credit/screening report on yourself.
Enter a maintenance request, assign a vendor, attach a fake invoice.
Enter charges to the tenant's ledger.
Enter recurring charges and automatic late fees.
Sign documents electronically.
Run owner reports.
After testing a few apps, one of them should stand out for you. Choose that one and use it. No system is perfect, so don't waste your time chasing after the next shiny object. You should only have to change when your current software has a flaw or lacking feature that is causing you to spend too much work on a work-around. Then you can consider researching and finding something that meets your needs better.
Property Manager · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 269 posts · 135 votes
3y
Of course, there's no perfect software but I'd go with Innago. I've been using them for years and have enjoyed them. Plus it's free for landlords/property owners. Customer support is always helpful and quick to respond as well.
Investor · Member since 2022 · 234 posts · 144 votes
3y
Yeah, make a list of your top 3 that you've researched and write the pros and cons about it. No PM software is perfect, however, I do enjoy using Innago. Easy and free.