Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Marketing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Alvin Grier
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
Vacant Property Leads - Have You Tried Them Before?

Alvin Grier
  • Detroit, MI
Posted Sep 9 2015, 22:22

I've been thinking about adding vacant property leads to our marketing campaigns.

One of my concerns, is that it seems like you'd need to keep buying these frequently, as a house that's vacant this month could very well be occupied this time next month.

With that said...

1. Have you had any success with vacant property leads?

2. What's the best source for vacant property leads, in your opinion?

3. If you've used these leads before, do you have any tips to offer for getting the most out of them?

User Stats

Votes
Todd Plambeck
  • Agent/Investor
  • Murphy, TX
Votes |
  • Agent/Investor
  • Murphy, TX
Replied Sep 10 2015, 07:09

Go to the city water department and ask them to give you a list of all the properties in the city that have the water turned off.  That's your best and cheapest source for vacant leads.  You might need to cross reference some with the county assessor's website.

User Stats

Votes
Avery Gilmer
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Sep 10 2015, 07:50
Most of my vacant leads come from driving for dollars. Most of those owners are motivated to sell!! You just have to track down the homeowners, I start by talking to the neighbors than the assessor. Todd Plambeck great idea! I ddn't know the city would provide that type of list
Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Marvin McTaw
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Sep 10 2015, 08:33

Hey @Alvin Grier vacant properties are a great way to find deals. You can use bird dogs to find vacant properties for you. Just post ads on Craigslist, Ebay Classifieds, Oodle, and Backpage that you're looking for bird dogs. You might even be able to find some in the "Real Estate Services Offered section". That being said, I really like @Todd Plambeck's idea as that is a one shot stop to get loads of leads quickly.

@Avery Gilmer is definitely right that driving for dollars works but I still prefer to use bird dogs who you can either pay per lead, based on the information they submit and/or upon closing a deal. There are a lot of people interested in real estate investing and this is a way for them to get their feet on the ground. 

There is also software out there that can find these vacant houses as well. It's not 100% perfect but works pretty well. Depending on your state, mailing list companies have lists of vacant houses too in some cases. 

User Stats

Votes
Todd Plambeck
  • Agent/Investor
  • Murphy, TX
Votes |
  • Agent/Investor
  • Murphy, TX
Replied Sep 10 2015, 08:50
Originally posted by @Avery Gilmer:
Most of my vacant leads come from driving for dollars. Most of those owners are motivated to sell!! You just have to track down the homeowners, I start by talking to the neighbors than the assessor.

Todd Plambeck great idea! I ddn't know the city would provide that type of list

These are a great addition to driving for dollars.  When I used to drive for dollars, I always went on trash day.  No trash cans on the curb is another confirmation of the property being vacant.

Sometimes they can be difficult at first but it is public information.  You may need to file your state's equivalent of a freedom of information act request.  Mostly this is just ignorance on their part that it is public information  Some will charge a couple bucks to make hard copies others email a spreadsheet to me.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Sep 10 2015, 08:52

I'm always writing down addresses of the vacant places with high grass and such.  I then look them up and mail them a postcard.  No deals yet, but have had a referral from someone calling back that turned into a different deal.

I would think neighbors.  Yourself or a bird dog on the ground yacking it up with them.  They want that place fixed up!  Have a flyer to put on the door of the vacant, then another one for the neighbors.  Robert Lowry had one that basically said 'Reward!  Information leading to my buying your neighbor's ratty property and fixing it up will put cash in your pocket. Call me at....."

Good luck @Alvin Grier

User Stats

Votes
Alvin Grier
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Sep 10 2015, 10:34

@Todd Plambeck when you got lists like this from the water department, did they require you to do an FOIA request?  

User Stats

Votes
Todd Plambeck
  • Agent/Investor
  • Murphy, TX
Votes |
  • Agent/Investor
  • Murphy, TX
Replied Sep 10 2015, 10:56

One did make me do it, two others had to "check on it" for a couple days and then gave me the data, and the other 3 cities I have done this with handed it right over, no questions asked.

User Stats

Votes
Todd Plambeck
  • Agent/Investor
  • Murphy, TX
Votes |
  • Agent/Investor
  • Murphy, TX
Replied Sep 10 2015, 11:02

@Alvin Grier  take a look at this:

http://www.dwsd.org/downloads_n/announcements/general_announcements/DWSD_FOIA_Summary_2015-07-08.pdf

User Stats

Votes
Ron Hansen
  • Commercial Real Estate Broker
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Commercial Real Estate Broker
  • Portland, OR
Replied Sep 10 2015, 11:05

What's a FOIA request? Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Daria B.
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
  • Gainesville, FL
Replied Sep 10 2015, 11:25

Freedom Of Information Act....

User Stats

Votes
Daria B.
  • Gainesville, FL
Votes |
  • Gainesville, FL
Replied Sep 10 2015, 11:25

@Ron Hansen

User Stats

Votes
Alvin Grier
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Sep 17 2015, 11:48

@Todd Plambeck I submitted an FOIA request for residential properties where the water's shut off; to say the list is huge is an understatement.

Did you do any additional discovery to sort through the list, or did you just proceed to assume everything on that list is vacant?

NMB logo
NMB
|
Sponsored
Your Nationwide Lending Partner in 47 States! Unbeatable rates & expedited loan programs for busy investors. Save more with a $550 credit today.

User Stats

Votes
Todd Plambeck
  • Agent/Investor
  • Murphy, TX
Votes |
  • Agent/Investor
  • Murphy, TX
Replied Sep 17 2015, 11:59

Very cool!  Target a few neighborhoods or zip codes where properties or rents are going up.  One thing to consider, those should be all the meters.  That doesn't me there is a house there.  It could have burnt down, metered and never built, bulldozed by the city, etc.  I'd suggest culling out anything owned by the city, county, state, etc., and then all the ones owned by banks and corporations.  Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Alvin Grier
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Sep 17 2015, 13:01

@Todd Plambeck do you make a campaign out of these leads, or do you just mail them once or twice?  

With probate and other leads (like absentees) you can keep mailing 'till the property sells or something, but with this type of lead source, it seems to be a little more challenging to know when to stop.

User Stats

Votes
Don Cuffy
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portsmouth, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Portsmouth, VA
Replied Sep 17 2015, 13:22

@todd 

@Todd Plambeck....awesome idea. I am about to try to get a list from my city.

User Stats

Votes
Todd Plambeck
  • Agent/Investor
  • Murphy, TX
Votes |
  • Agent/Investor
  • Murphy, TX
Replied Sep 17 2015, 13:24

I do 6 month campaigns and refresh the list every 2 months.  Bounce new list against the old one and drop those that are back on and have changed account holder.  I have a database I created from the county assessor's office I can bounce my list off of to check for the property being sold.  Around here that seems to take about three months for the tax office to get things updated.  If it's off for a couple months and comes back on and the owner hasn't changed, I'm going mail that one until the ask me to stop.  To me that's a landlord who had a vacant property for and extended period of time and may be ready to call it quits.

User Stats

Votes
Elijah Glenn
  • Hurst, Tx
Votes |
  • Hurst, Tx
Replied Nov 30 2018, 19:31

@Todd Plambeck This is valuable information. Are you saying I can just ask the water company for the homes who have their water turn off. How do I know which homes are legitimately vacant? What do I scrub the list against?