Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Marketing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Baillis
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Pre-Printed Postcards I Can Run Through My Printer?

Jeff Baillis
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Jun 19 2015, 08:44

I am looking for a postcard that I can keep on hand to drop in the mail as different leads come in (from MLS research, driving neighborhoods, FSBOs, etc.), so that I don't have to wait until I accumulate enough to generate a minimum shipment. I am looking for a format or template where all of the generic text is on the card and then I could run it through my printer to add property address and owner's name/address via mailmerge. I would then add the stamp and drop it in the mail.

These leads would then be added to my CRM and incorporated into subsequent larger followup mailings. I have too many small bunches of leads every weak to do handwritten letters, but not enough to justify a minimum order with one of the bigger printing companies.

I tried to reach out to Michael Quarles on this earlier this week, but didn't get a response. Does this make sense or is there a better way to try to accomplish this task?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Richard Dunlop
  • Investor
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Jun 19 2015, 08:50

Is there some advantage to not printing the text yourself?

Having 5-10 different wordings to use depending on situation.

User Stats

Votes
Lexie M.
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Newport Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Newport Beach, CA
Replied Jun 19 2015, 10:55

Work with a local printing company. Tell them what you want to do, and they can explain how to leave the address space open when you are designing the card, and also how to format it as a mail merge for your printer. I also find that some local print shops are cheaper than online services. 

If you don't design them yourselves, most printing companies have an in-house graphic designer who will do exactly what you want, and probably better than if you just ordered them offline. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Baillis
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 4 2015, 07:28
Originally posted by @Richard Dunlop:

Is there some advantage to not printing the text yourself?

Having 5-10 different wordings to use depending on situation.

So I have spent the last 10 days trying to get a card designed that I can run through my own printer using a mail merge data list. I think the problem now is my printer!  It doesn't have an option to print borderless, so the edges of the postcard are cropped.

What kind of printer are you using. I wasn't planning on investing in yet another printer but that may be the way to go.

User Stats

Votes
Bud Leiser
  • Landlord
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Landlord
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jul 4 2015, 07:37

I will be doing this in the future. So I just wanted to share my findings:

• Prices per piece at 2500pcs seems to be about even among national print companies
  • National print companies include design fees, locals do not and charge $75+ an hour with expected costs around $150-250
  • Fiverr.com is full of excellent graphic designs who can design business cards, post cards, logos etc for $5-$50
  • In order to print the addresses correctly the post card will have to be of a paper type that works with my printer, aka laser toner paper matte (not glossy)
  • Whenever I have printed post cards in the past it has been a lot of work to get the spacing right, I end up throwing away 10-50 until I figure it out
  • Because the post card is small there tends to be 'angling' issues with my printer and sometimes the text comes out at 10-20 degree angle
  • It might be better to print on labels instead of the post card directly
  • National companies will often pay/provide a list for you, locals do not and charge $35 or more
  • You can get free lists from your local title companies since most (mine do) have access to county records. They will filter it based on your request if you are nice.

Post card printing including postage range from 35c-85c per piece depending on size and color. That is for direct mail not saturation. 

I had a price quote for post card only no postage, but I don't recall off hand. 

Cheers!

Edit changed stamps to postage, live stamps would increase cost. National companies will pre-sort the post card and apply their business postage meter not stamps to the postcards unless you want live stamps. Some companies will not give you a price quote for postage until they see your list. 

User Stats

Votes
Ericka Parrott
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 4 2015, 07:37

Try click2mail.com.  I believe they you can purchase the postcards and have them ready, just print labels with addresses when needed.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Baillis
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 5 2015, 16:28

Thanks for all of the responses. I am already doing a monthly campaign through click2mail.com.  What I am looking to do here is just small weekly batches of postcards for different leads as they come in (expired listings, FSBOs, etc.) without waiting until I have a big enough list to hit the minimums that most print shops require.

Does anybody have a printer they are using at home that can produce a good postcard which meets all of the USPS regulations?  It looks like Canon may actually have some good options, but it is so hard to sift through all of the various models to figure out which one will do what I need it to do.

Thanks again for any insights you may have! 

User Stats

Votes
Jean Bolger
Pro Member
  • Aurora, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Aurora, CO
Replied Jul 5 2015, 17:10

Why don't you just order a few small batches of postcards from  an online company like modernpostcard.com, uprinting.com or overnightprints.com? Overnight prints does runs as small as 25 pieces. They all have customizable designs, or you can upload your own file. Just get the cards without their mailing service, and stick an address label on when you need to send one

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Baillis
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jul 6 2015, 05:10
Originally posted by @Jean Bolger:

Why don't you just order a few small batches of postcards from  an online company like modernpostcard.com, uprinting.com or overnightprints.com? Overnight prints does runs as small as 25 pieces. They all have customizable designs, or you can upload your own file. Just get the cards without their mailing service, and stick an address label on when you need to send one

Another good idea, but I want to do some mail merge in the body of the card to personalize it more. I didn't realize it would be so hard to put together this small process!

User Stats

Votes
Dave Lee
  • Investor
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Portland, OR
Replied Jul 12 2015, 19:21

Jeff,

I trying to do the same. Have you found anything that works?

User Stats

Votes
Jerry Puckett
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Jul 12 2015, 21:10

Do you need to have variable data on both sides? Its much easier to do this with variable data on one side, but you can do 2.

You'll need to first design your template. Word works just fine. Adjust the page size to the type of post card you will use. Type in your copy leaving spaces for your merge fields. 

Save as a PDF and submit the pdf to your printer to use in making your card. Have them pre print a few hundred and keep them on hand. When you're ready to do your mini batches just use you word template and attach to the data source.

If you're just looking for text cards, I wouldn't even bother having them pre printed. Just buy some blank card stock in the size you want and run them through with your word template. You'll have to make 2 passes, once for the front, once for the back. Just make sure they stay in order.

Any of the epson work force printers will work....you just need one with a slot feeder rather than a tray. Will work great for small batches.

If you're looking for graphic cards, have them pre printed on the graphic side and simply address them with the same proceedure as above, just one side.

If that doesn't clear it up shoot me a pm or an email.