Rental Property Investor · Georgetown, KY · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 4 votes
I have been looking into building my own website. The primary purpose is to showcase our rentals and provide an easy way for people to apply free of charge. However, after trying SquareSpace and Wix, I am wondering if there is a website out there that provides this on the platform itself. SquareSpace seems to have some add-on applications, which is fine, but I wanted to keep it simple and low cost. I believe I can include a Google Form and embed it into the site, but again, was hoping to keep it simple.
Wix has forms already installed that are easy to include, but they aren't really meant to gather as much information as I would like to get in an application.
Does anyone have any experience with this and a strong suggestion for what would be best for this particular need?
I think you're wasting time, energy, and brain cells on something that already exists.
Go to TenantCloud and create a free account. You can list up to 75 properties without paying a dime. Click a button and they'll be marketed to 20+ different websites.
Your applications should not be free. By charging the Applicant, you are deterring people that aren't serious about renting. You also pay for the costs of conducting a credit/criminal background, which runs $20 - $50 per person. If you're not doing this, you are walking a dangerous line.
For a very small fee (maybe $10?) you can accept online payments. Market the property, accept applications, screen the applicant, move them in, send documents for signature, collect rents, track maintenance, run reports, and more.
Why spend any time trying to build your own site when the finished product won't even be close to what you can get for $10 - $20 a month?
@Alexa Potocki In my previous life I was/am an IT nerd so have some experience with this. It all depends on how much effort you want to expend in building/maintaining this site and how much control you want to have with the underlying data etc
Option 1 : Buy a domain --> Host it on a platform like GoDaddy. The hosting platform will provide WIX or such code-less way to build website as part of hosting service
Pro : Total control of E2E experience to the guests and data. You can make it as customized as you would like
Con : You are responsible for creating good or bad experience for the guests visiting the site. Lot of upfront effort
Option 2 : Use vacation rental/Direct booking platforms like Lodgify, OwneRez etc to build the same. These platforms also provide great looking templates for you to customize
Pro : minimal effort will result in good professional looking site
Con : You are dependent on a third party for visibility, control of data etc
I think you're wasting time, energy, and brain cells on something that already exists.
Go to TenantCloud and create a free account. You can list up to 75 properties without paying a dime. Click a button and they'll be marketed to 20+ different websites.
Your applications should not be free. By charging the Applicant, you are deterring people that aren't serious about renting. You also pay for the costs of conducting a credit/criminal background, which runs $20 - $50 per person. If you're not doing this, you are walking a dangerous line.
For a very small fee (maybe $10?) you can accept online payments. Market the property, accept applications, screen the applicant, move them in, send documents for signature, collect rents, track maintenance, run reports, and more.
Why spend any time trying to build your own site when the finished product won't even be close to what you can get for $10 - $20 a month?
Property Manager · Nationwide · Member since 2022 · 67 posts · 21 votes
3y
Starting from scratch seems like a lot of work and there are more cost effective and pre established platforms out there. Not to discourage you from doing something you want to create, but Avail, Buildium and even our service Marble can process applications and take care of the whole leasing process fairly seamlessly.
You will still want to do a background check on your tenants and that cost money, you should never accept a tenant without screening them. Companies charge $30-$40 but thats with margin in it.
Rental Property Investor · Georgetown, KY · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 4 votes
3y
@Nathan Gesner Thank you for your input. I had not heard of TenantCloud, and I can see where it would be useful. Some of what it offers I am using other software applications for so I may only use it for the actual application distribution and processing. I am still leaning toward a website because I can see where that would have other benefits and I believe I can connect it to TenantCloud for the actual application process.
I am going to consider charging for applications in the future. I can see where it would cut down on some of the less serious people. However, I have found that even the act of completing the application often deters these people. As far as using this fee to cover other costs, I only run the credit/criminal background check when I believe I have a strong candidate, and they pay for it themselves so I'm not out of pocket. This also lessens the pain if something comes back negative, and I decide against accepting their application.
I appreciated your insight and suggestions. I'm looking into TenantCloud even now.
Rental Property Investor · Georgetown, KY · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 4 votes
3y
@Kevin Liu Thank you very much for your input. I am looking into the software companies you suggested. I am still considering a website because I think it has its own value. However, I can see where these companies can offer a good way to organize and distribute applications. I should be able to connect them to my website.