Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tenant Screening
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Raghu Reddy
Votes |
Tenant screening - should I consider this person?

Raghu Reddy
Posted

I listed my property for rent, and there's someone interested who recently moved from another state. They claim to have owned four rental properties and a large house which they sold before coming here. However, they don't have a credit history and mentioned they use cash for transactions, offering to pay one year's rent upfront in cash. They also disclosed a past felony. Given these factors, should I consider renting to this person?

User Stats

Votes
Albert Hasson
  • Investor
  • Paradise Valley, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Paradise Valley, AZ
Replied

No, absolutely don’t rent to them. There are several big red flags here.

User Stats

Votes
Raghu Reddy
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Albert Hasson:

Thanks for the response. Since they are paying one year's rent upfront, what should I be concerned about?

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Katherine Chinelli
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Texas
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Texas
Replied

No. Absolutely not.

According to Heather and Brandon Turner's book, the fact that they want to put so much money up front means they are trying to distract you from something else they don't want you to see, and hope that offering you enough money will accomplish that. This information is posted in their book on page 106. (I have no stake in this other than I just read this section in the book, and this is not some kind of marketing ploy by me.) If they disclosed their felony already, there's probably something much worse they want you to "ignore." And, according to their book, if you want to later evict them, having them prepay that much can make it difficult to do so. 

*I hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws, Heather and Brandon, by paraphrasing your book: The Book on Managing Rental Properties. Please let me know if I am.*

User Stats

Votes
Raghu Reddy
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Katherine Chinelli:

No. Absolutely not.

According to Heather and Brandon Turner's book, the fact that they want to put so much money up front means they are trying to distract you from something else they don't want you to see, and hope that offering you enough money will accomplish that. This information is posted in their book on page 106. (I have no stake in this other than I just read this section in the book, and this is not some kind of marketing ploy by me.) If they disclosed their felony already, there's probably something much worse they want you to "ignore." And, according to their book, if you want to later evict them, having them prepay that much can make it difficult to do so. 

*I hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws, Heather and Brandon, by paraphrasing your book: The Book on Managing Rental Properties. Please let me know if I am.*

User Stats

Votes
Raghu Reddy
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Raghu Reddy: thank you very much, I am rejecting them.

No. Absolutely not.

User Stats

Votes
Mae Galang
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • La Crosse, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • La Crosse, WI
Replied
Quote from @Raghu Reddy:

Thanks for the response. Since they are paying one year's rent upfront, what should I be concerned about?

I would be concerned of their run-in with the law. A clean background is important. While people can change for the better, its imperative to run a thorough background check and a full credit report. Have them fill out an application form listing their previous place of employments, references, etc. Verify employment by calling. Call references they listed. Inquire with previous landlords that they have rented from if applicable. 

A year's rent paid in cash sounds great and all! But not worth the headache if the tenants bring about non-monetary stress. Not all that glitters is gold.

User Stats

Votes
Raghu Reddy
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Mae Galang:thank you.
Quote from @Raghu Reddy:

I would be concerned of their run-in with the law. A clean background is important. While people can change for the better, its imperative to run a thorough background check and a full credit report. Have them fill out an application form listing their previous place of employments, references, etc. Verify employment by calling. Call references they listed. Inquire with previous landlords that they have rented from if applicable. 

A year's rent paid in cash sounds great and all! But not worth the headache if the tenants bring about non-monetary stress. Not all that glitters is gold.

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

Nope. No new arrivals. Job transfer? Two year min on job, and show proof. 

User Stats

Votes
Raghu Reddy
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Henry T.: thank you 

Nope. No new arrivals. Job transfer? Two year min on job, and show proof. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

This is a common tactic. People offer to pay cash up front or rent for a longer term in hopes of avoiding any scrutiny. It's a red flag and you should absolutely check them closely. However, they've already mentioned a felony, which indicates they probably aren't the most clever scammers. I would avoid them.

Do yourself a favor and watch "Pacific Heights" with Alex Keaton. It's a perfect example of how the most attractive applicant can be the worst choice.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Raghu Reddy
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:thank you 

This is a common tactic. People offer to pay cash up front or rent for a longer term in hopes of avoiding any scrutiny. It's a red flag and you should absolutely check them closely. However, they've already mentioned a felony, which indicates they probably aren't the most clever scammers. I would avoid them.

Do yourself a favor and watch "Pacific Heights" with Alex Keaton. It's a perfect example of how the most attractive applicant can be the worst choice.

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied
Quote from @Raghu Reddy:

I listed my property for rent, and there's someone interested who recently moved from another state. They claim to have owned four rental properties and a large house which they sold before coming here. However, they don't have a credit history and mentioned they use cash for transactions, offering to pay one year's rent upfront in cash. They also disclosed a past felony. Given these factors, should I consider renting to this person?

If you have to ask, the answer is probably no.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Katherine Chinelli
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Texas
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Texas
Replied
Quote from @Raghu Reddy:
Quote from @Raghu Reddy: thank you very much, I am rejecting them.

No. Absolutely not.

I'm happy to help!