Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tenant Screening
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Lez
Votes |
Applicant with ESA

Carlos Lez
Posted Jul 18 2024, 19:22

This is the first time I am receiving an application for an applicant for a studio with an ESA Cat. There are numerous posts about ESA laws but I am unsure as to what is the latest in Palo Alto CA. What documentation should  I request? Additionally, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share addendum to include in the lease regarding the ESA animal.

The building has carpeting all over and we have a no pet policy. What can I ask in terms of how to carry the animal around to prevent anyone else complaining of allergies and such? I mean, can I ask them to always carry the pet in a carrier and not put them down on the carpet?

Please bear with me as I am navigating this for the first time but don't want to be caught in the crosshairs and still protect myself and the property.

Thanks in advance for your help.

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Talbert
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 18 2024, 19:47

As I understand the ESA Laws in Texas if a pet is a qualified ESA then you can't treat it as a pet at all. You have to underwrite them as if they didn't have one. 

A lot of those letters are fake however and we double check their authenticity with Pet Screening. It is free of charge and will catch if the letter is fake or not. petscreening.com

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Lez
Votes |
Replied Jul 18 2024, 21:17
Quote from @Thomas Talbert:

As I understand the ESA Laws in Texas if a pet is a qualified ESA then you can't treat it as a pet at all. You have to underwrite them as if they didn't have one. 

A lot of those letters are fake however and we double check their authenticity with Pet Screening. It is free of charge and will catch if the letter is fake or not. petscreening.com

Does petscreening charge the applicant? What documentation do I need from the applicant to run petscreening? Thank you.

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Talbert
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 18 2024, 22:02
Quote from @Carlos Lez:
Quote from @Thomas Talbert:

Does petscreening charge the applicant? What documentation do I need from the applicant to run petscreening? Thank you.

Yes they do charge the applicant but not if it is an ESA. 

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 19 2024, 00:20

Will you be doing regular quarterly home inspections with your ESA rottweiler? I sense there could be a problem. He'll have to have his cat locked up on those days.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 19 2024, 05:27

I use petscreening.com and they will not charge the applicant if it is a legit ESA. Petscreening will ask the appropriate questions to ensure the applicant is not using a fake letter or registration purchased online. It's worth it.

Although you can't refuse an ESA, you can still set rules for them. You can't require them to keep the cat in a carrier and never touch the carpet because that is impossible to do or manage. They should always be under control of the owner, not allowed to roam free, not allowed to bark, can't destroy the property, etc. If you inspect and find the cat is urinating in the home, you can require them to mitigate the damage immediately or remove the animal.

It's important to read and understand the law. I recommend you print, study, and highlight the HUD guide: https://www.hud.gov/sites/dfiles/PA/documents/HUDAsstAnimalN...

You should also check with a local HUD office to see if they have any additional guidance they can provide you.

Keep in mind, not everyone is subject to Fair Housing requirements and you may be exempt from allowing the ESA!  The Fair Housing Act may not apply to the following types of housing in some cases:

• Owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units,
  • Single-family housing sold or rented without the use of a broker, and
  • Housing operated by organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members.

Again, talk to HUD and see if you are exempt, then you can put this entire issue to bed.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Lez
Votes |
Replied Jul 19 2024, 05:34

Nathan, Thanks for a detailed response. I clearly don't qualify for the exemption from accepting ESAs. I will look at the HUD guidelines.

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Lez
Votes |
Replied Jul 19 2024, 17:14

Could someone comment on petscreening if it is legal (in California) to ask for a pet screening report for an alleged ESA? I was reading online on some reddit threads and it appears it has a bad rap. May setoff tenants on the the wrong foot. Specifically, what do I tell the applicant to do? Should I just say please provide a petscreening report along with completing the usual application and providing supporting document?