Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Tenant Screening
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sergio A. Chucaralao
  • Investor
  • Teaneck
Votes |
What questions do you ask in the pre-screen, for potential tenants?🤔

Sergio A. Chucaralao
  • Investor
  • Teaneck
Posted Aug 29 2023, 05:57

Hello BP community,  I self manage my properties and will be soon completing a full gutt renovation. I am looking to open a conversation about the pre-screening for potential tenants. I currently have a 25 questions page to be filled by every potential tenant.  After I interview them it will be decided who will go to the next step which is  having them do thier  background and credit check.  What questions do you ask in the pre-screening? And how many properties did you have, when you decided to handed to a property management company?

Thank you all in advance for your input!

Happy investing!

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
  • SE Michigan
Replied Aug 29 2023, 06:18

We don't have a pre-screening process. We do screening.

Unless you have specific, written criteria for what constitutes acceptable answers to the 25 questions, you open yourself up for a Fair Housing violation complaint.  Having an open-ended interview process with no set criteria sounds like an easy way for an attorney to argue for discrimination, whether or not any actually occurred. 

User Stats

Votes
Charles Carillo
Pro Member
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Replied Aug 29 2023, 06:35

@Sergio A. Chucaralao

I have never done a pre-screening questionnaire, or even heard of it. When I self-managed C Class properties, I would put the requirements for tenancy in the rental listing (3x rent in income, 1-month security deposit, criminal check, etc.), and then when the potential tenants called in, I would speak to them for a few minutes, explain the requirements, get some sort of verbal confirmation on some or all of the requirements, and then invite them to different showing times I had set up. If they liked the apartment, they could apply (pay the application fee per adult, and complete the application), and I would perform screening, and provide an answer within 24-48 hours.

This process allows for a few different filters. First is the initial call. You will filter out people just by talking to them for a couple of minutes (people trying to negotiate your terms, storytelling, or people being just plain rude). 

The next filter is them showing up at the set time for the apartment showing. I usually would put the appointments 15 minutes apart, and do a few at once unless I get a very good feeling about an applicant. 

The next filter is them applying. They like the unit, they like the neighborhood, etc., and they are willing to apply. They are putting money out there to get approved.

The final filter is your screening after they formally apply. 

With C Class properties, you will start with a large funnel to get it down to a couple of actual people showing up to see the unit (and no one else will call to formally cancel). The goal of this whole process is to find good tenants who will pay rent on time, respect the property, and respect their neighbors. 

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Sergio A. Chucaralao
  • Investor
  • Teaneck
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Teaneck
Replied Aug 29 2023, 07:15
Quote from @Charles Carillo:

@Sergio A. Chucaralao

I have never done a pre-screening questionnaire, or even heard of it. When I self-managed C Class properties, I would put the requirements for tenancy in the rental listing (3x rent in income, 1-month security deposit, criminal check, etc.), and then when the potential tenants called in, I would speak to them for a few minutes, explain the requirements, get some sort of verbal confirmation on some or all of the requirements, and then invite them to different showing times I had set up. If they liked the apartment, they could apply (pay the application fee per adult, and complete the application), and I would perform screening, and provide an answer within 24-48 hours.

This process allows for a few different filters. First is the initial call. You will filter out people just by talking to them for a couple of minutes (people trying to negotiate your terms, storytelling, or people being just plain rude). 

The next filter is them showing up at the set time for the apartment showing. I usually would put the appointments 15 minutes apart, and do a few at once unless I get a very good feeling about an applicant. 

The next filter is them applying. They like the unit, they like the neighborhood, etc., and they are willing to apply. They are putting money out there to get approved.

With C Class properties, you will start with a large funnel to get it down to a couple of actual people showing up to see the unit (and no one else will call to formally cancel). The goal of this whole process is to find good tenants who will pay rent on time, respect the property, and respect their neighbors. 

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, it is very similar of what I do. I only ask yes or no questions example : do you have proof of funds? Do you have any pets? Do you have any  eviction? Are you currently employed?. The reason why I do it this way is because I do a open house style, for showings.

User Stats

Votes
Sergio A. Chucaralao
  • Investor
  • Teaneck
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Teaneck
Replied Aug 29 2023, 07:20
Quote from @Greg Scott:

We don't have a pre-screening process. We do screening.

Unless you have specific, written criteria for what constitutes acceptable answers to the 25 questions, you open yourself up for a Fair Housing violation complaint.  Having an open-ended interview process with no set criteria sounds like an easy way for an attorney to argue for discrimination, whether or not any actually occurred. 

Thank your for your answer,  definitely agree with you. That is why I only ask yes or no questions which are the same ones I go over the phone to look for consistency.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
#4 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
#4 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Aug 30 2023, 04:32

25 questions?

You are over-thinking the process and will be sitting on vacancies as the market slows and tenants become harder to find.

Get a YTD paystub, last year's W-2, recent bank statement, government picture ID and SSN card. Run a background check and evaluate the SAME way every time to avoid Fair Housing lawsuit.

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Aug 30 2023, 11:14
Aloha,

You are definitely losing out on otherwise perfectly good prospects with your full interrogation before they even view the property. 

Keep in mind, Fair Housing. Limit an initial conversation or questionnaire to no more than 3 to 5 questions:

What is total household gross income?
How many Adults (of local, legal, age...18, 20, 21) ?  (do not ask about children, should not matter at this point)
How soon do you hope to move?
How long have you lived in your current residence, and is it within this (City, Region, State)?
Have you ever been evicted or not renewed, or do you have current Collection items?

Be sure your marketing and your application include whether you have a pets/no pets policy; assistance animal policy; ALL adults must complete application and will be named on the Rental Agreement; utility responsibilities; SD requirement; when and how various funds are due (app fee, SD, initial rent, etc).

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Sep 1 2023, 14:46

@Sergio A. Chucaralao  the only pre-screening I ask is number of people, number and type of animals, number of vehicles, and do you smoke?  If they volunteer anything else I make note of it. After they answer I review key points in the ad. I do it this way because I often get people who want to look at things and haven't read the ad. They either don't qualify, misjudge what is acceptable occupancy, or didn't read key points about the property.    I added the vehicle question after getting people with 3 vehicles for 1 bedroom apartments.  Then you have the 4 cats... I am not sure I could come up with  25 questions though. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 30 2024, 23:57
Quote from @Charles Carillo:

@Sergio A. Chucaralao

This is a great response and very helpful! 

User Stats

Votes
Lynn McGeein
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Mar 31 2024, 07:38

@Sergio A. Chucaralao I have a set email response for inquiries that states my typical qualifications, attaches my application, states if they meet those requirements, I’m scheduling appointments x date between 12-3, send preferred time and I’ll confirm, and that I do not accept applications until after meeting at the appointment. If asked, I tell them I’ll discuss possible minor exceptions to typical qualifications at appointment, but absolutely no judgments or evictions. I overbook as usually a few no-shows. If they say they can’t make that day, I let them know I’ll set up another date if an applicant is not accepted from this session. I don’t really want the ones who are already being difficult before they apply, so helps to weed them out.

User Stats

Votes
Sergio A. Chucaralao
  • Investor
  • Teaneck
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Teaneck
Replied Apr 1 2024, 19:07
Quote from @Lynn McGeein:

@Sergio A. Chucaralao I have a set email response for inquiries that states my typical qualifications, attaches my application, states if they meet those requirements, I’m scheduling appointments x date between 12-3, send preferred time and I’ll confirm, and that I do not accept applications until after meeting at the appointment. If asked, I tell them I’ll discuss possible minor exceptions to typical qualifications at appointment, but absolutely no judgments or evictions. I overbook as usually a few no-shows. If they say they can’t make that day, I let them know I’ll set up another date if an applicant is not accepted from this session. I don’t really want the ones who are already being difficult before they apply, so helps to weed them out.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I was curious to see how other landlords pre-screen or screen potential tenants.