Today's NAR Settlement is GREAT news for SOME Agents

Today's NAR Settlement is GREAT news for SOME Agents

Real Estate Professional · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 252 votes

Rarely do I feel the need to comment on the state of my industry. I have been a licensed Real Estate Salesperson, Agent, or Broker since 2015. In the 9 years I’ve spent licensed in this industry I have never been impressed much with my peers. I haven’t been shy about my disdain for many Realtors in this business. Now our “leadership” at the National Association of Realtors has proven just as feckless and ineffective as the vast majority of its membership.

I have long thought that the NAR as well as State and Local Boards and MLS's that I have been a member of were bureaucratic cash grabs that existed solely to employ those among us that were not talented enough to actually sell real estate. It wasn't until today that I realized how useless these organizations are.

If you’ve been following the news, there have been a lot of claims going around since The National Association of Realtors Commission Class-Action settlement offer was released. “It’s the end of the 6% commission!” “This is going to make home buying MUCH more affordable!”

These statements and others touted in the media are uninformed and show a complete lack of understanding on how the real estate industry operates in the United States. Since no news article I’ve read on this ruling has been willing to summarize business practices in this industry, I may as well educate you as it seems no one else is willing to.

When selling a home with a licensed real estate agent, the first step is for the seller and agent to enter a contract called a “listing agreement”. This agreement lists pretty much everything to do with selling the home: how long it will be on the market, what price it will be offered up for sale at, how it will be advertised, who will have access to the home, and the commission rate and split. The last point is the most important one to focus on here.

In most (but not all) real estate transactions, the seller pays for the real estate commission out of the funds they receive for selling the home. When negotiating the listing agreement sellers and their agent agree on a commission rate as well as an “offer of cooperating compensation” or split.

This “offer of cooperating compensation” defines how the commission will be split up between the agent for the seller (listing agent) and the agent for the buyer. For example, if the seller and their agent agreed upon a total commission of 6%, that 6% can be split evenly 3% to the listing agent and 3% to the buyer’s agent. OR it could be split 4% to the listing agent and 2% to the buyers agent. Or ANY different combination. The seller could negotiate with their agent a total commission of 4% with 2% offered out to the buyers agent. See it doesn’t matter, there are no rules governing this. It’s a negotiation just like any other aspect of business.

This is the first area where our legal system has failed free enterprise in this case. Ruling that offering buyers agents a guaranteed commission split was price fixing makes NO sense as this amount was always negotiable during the listing agreement negotiation. Also, it could even be negotiated LATER in the process. MANY times I’ve had to cut my commission in order to get a deal through. Why judges and the DOJ feel they have a right to intercede here is beyond me.

Once that listing agreement is finalized the property is listed on a local MLS which all agents who are members have access to. They can sign in to the MLS website and view properties for their buyers. Included in the property listings is the "offer of cooperating compensation". On their MLS they can see if a seller is offering out 1.5%, 2%, 2.5%, 3% commission etc.

The claim in these lawsuits has been that agents are steering buyers away from properties that are offering lower commissions. There could be some truth in this, however this is accounted for generally in the laws of agency. Even the loosest laws of agency in states require obedience on the part of every agent. If a buyer wants to see a home, the agent needs to make the effort to show it to them regardless of the commission being paid out. And if an agent refuses to show a home? Well there’s another 1.5 million Realtors in this country that would be happy to show you the property. That’s the beauty of free enterprise.

Furthermore I fail to see how eliminating guaranteed buyer agent compensation being advertised on the MLS would protect buyers interests. I often work in commercial deals that aren't listed on the MLS. When discussing these properties I simply call up the listing agent and ask what offer of compensation is being offered and make sure to write it into the contract. I also have worked on off-market deals where my buyers had to pay my commission. The conversation is quite simple "Hey, they're not willing to pay my commission so you're going to have to. I want 2.5%"

The truth is that the rule changes are not going to produce the “desired effect” of limiting commissions or making home buying more affordable. They will however produce significant income for the lawyers who filed these suits. The good news isn’t for home buyers or home sellers.

I have long found that other agents in this business don’t have the basic understandings of property law, contracts, and construction that are necessary to truly advise their clients on the purchase of a home. Most Realtors I know are happy to take their commission and step away from deals when things get tough.

When I got into this business, my mantra became “the only deal that matters is the next one.” Meaning, don’t worry about what you are making today. By doing the right thing by your clients you will always set yourself up for success tomorrow.

One of my first big deals in this business involved a sale of a friends home on Long Island. Prior to selling, he was concerned that a second floor bathroom in his house may not have been permitted. He contacted the local building department who ruled that the entire second story of his home was illegal.

At this point I could have said forget it and walked away from the deal. I was in over my head. Did I know anything about construction, zoning, code enforcement, etc? No. But I hit the books, researched everything I could and I drew up a case for an administrative variance and presented it to a state engineer. He overruled the local building department. The second floor was legal and they were forced to give my client a CO for the bathroom, allowing the sale to proceed.

When I first relocated to Florida one of the first buyers I met was a young couple looking for a fixer upper. Within 10 minutes of meeting them I knew they weren’t going to buy a home from me anytime soon. But I still took the time to show them every house they wanted to see. I needed to learn how the showing process in Florida worked and there was nothing wrong with getting reps in. I took the time to answer every question they had.

Sure enough, they weren’t ready to buy a home yet. But a year later I got a call. Were they finally ready to buy their home from me? No. But they had become house flippers in the past year and had financial backing. They needed to buy 20 homes from me by year end. That one couple jump started my business in the State of Florida and put me on the path to where I am today.

But not every story works out. I had some friends who used a friend of theirs as a buyers agent a few years back. She sold them a home with a faulty foundation, malfunctioning plumbing, and hidden mold behind a wall. As bad as that all sounds, ALL of these issues could have been taken care of before closing and repaired or her buyers could have backed out of the deal. Had I been their agent, I would have never let them put in an offer on a home with such obvious defects.

After closing when all the problem became apparent their agent disappeared. Refused to take their phone calls and help in any way. So they reached out to me. I helped them figure out what needed to be done and helped them put together their case for their lawyer as there were multiple parties they had to sue. I also used my construction contacts to help them repair their home in the most affordable manner.

So for those who say that today's settlement is bad news, you are correct. It is bad news for agents who don't provide value. It is bad news for agents who don't bring anything to the table besides a lawn sign and an MLS account.

But today’s agreement isn’t just good news, it’s GREAT news for hardworking ethical agents.

These new rules WILL push people who didn't belong in this business out. These new rules WILL probably eventually eliminate NAR and local boards as there will no longer be any point in joining them. These new rules WILL allow those of us who do the hard work and take proper care of our clients to generate even MORE business and negotiate our own rates.

I don’t know about you, but I’m worth a minimum of 3% on every deal I touch.

10Reply
86 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
2y

I wanted to leave NAR years ago but my state requires membership if I want to use the MLS. NAR has lost their way. They are more focused on social issues than they are on educating the masses or helping agents sell real estate.

NAR is trying to sell this agreement as a win, but they threw our entire profession under the bus and it's going to hurt us in the long run. We currently advertise how much we will pay a buyer's agent. The fee is advertised publicly for all to see, regardless of age, gender, race, sexual orientation, accent, or whatever. If I offer 2% commission to a buyer's agent, it's available for every agent to see. Under this new agreement, my fees will be hidden. You won't know what they are until you send me an offer. If I don't a particular agent because of skin color, sexual orientation, or whatever, I may decide to offer them less. I can already see the discrimination lawsuits piling up!

As a professional, I will be fine. I already use a Buyer's Agency Agreement and the Buyer has to agree to pay me, even though I attempt to get compensation from the Seller or Listing Agent. I'll navigate the new nonsense and continue to be successful. 

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Stephen Dispensa:

    Rarely do I feel the need to comment on the state of my industry. I have been a licensed Real Estate Salesperson, Agent, or Broker since 2015. In the 9 years I’ve spent licensed in this industry I have never been impressed much with my peers. I haven’t been shy about my disdain for many Realtors in this business. Now our “leadership” at the National Association of Realtors has proven just as feckless and ineffective as the vast majority of its membership.

    I have long thought that the NAR as well as State and Local Boards and MLS's that I have been a member of were bureaucratic cash grabs that existed solely to employ those among us that were not talented enough to actually sell real estate. It wasn't until today that I realized how useless these organizations are.

    If you’ve been following the news, there have been a lot of claims going around since The National Association of Realtors Commission Class-Action settlement offer was released. “It’s the end of the 6% commission!” “This is going to make home buying MUCH more affordable!”

    These statements and others touted in the media are uninformed and show a complete lack of understanding on how the real estate industry operates in the United States. Since no news article I’ve read on this ruling has been willing to summarize business practices in this industry, I may as well educate you as it seems no one else is willing to.

    When selling a home with a licensed real estate agent, the first step is for the seller and agent to enter a contract called a “listing agreement”. This agreement lists pretty much everything to do with selling the home: how long it will be on the market, what price it will be offered up for sale at, how it will be advertised, who will have access to the home, and the commission rate and split. The last point is the most important one to focus on here.

    In most (but not all) real estate transactions, the seller pays for the real estate commission out of the funds they receive for selling the home. When negotiating the listing agreement sellers and their agent agree on a commission rate as well as an “offer of cooperating compensation” or split.

    This “offer of cooperating compensation” defines how the commission will be split up between the agent for the seller (listing agent) and the agent for the buyer. For example, if the seller and their agent agreed upon a total commission of 6%, that 6% can be split evenly 3% to the listing agent and 3% to the buyer’s agent. OR it could be split 4% to the listing agent and 2% to the buyers agent. Or ANY different combination. The seller could negotiate with their agent a total commission of 4% with 2% offered out to the buyers agent. See it doesn’t matter, there are no rules governing this. It’s a negotiation just like any other aspect of business.

    This is the first area where our legal system has failed free enterprise in this case. Ruling that offering buyers agents a guaranteed commission split was price fixing makes NO sense as this amount was always negotiable during the listing agreement negotiation. Also, it could even be negotiated LATER in the process. MANY times I’ve had to cut my commission in order to get a deal through. Why judges and the DOJ feel they have a right to intercede here is beyond me.

    Once that listing agreement is finalized the property is listed on a local MLS which all agents who are members have access to. They can sign in to the MLS website and view properties for their buyers. Included in the property listings is the "offer of cooperating compensation". On their MLS they can see if a seller is offering out 1.5%, 2%, 2.5%, 3% commission etc.

    The claim in these lawsuits has been that agents are steering buyers away from properties that are offering lower commissions. There could be some truth in this, however this is accounted for generally in the laws of agency. Even the loosest laws of agency in states require obedience on the part of every agent. If a buyer wants to see a home, the agent needs to make the effort to show it to them regardless of the commission being paid out. And if an agent refuses to show a home? Well there’s another 1.5 million Realtors in this country that would be happy to show you the property. That’s the beauty of free enterprise.

    Furthermore I fail to see how eliminating guaranteed buyer agent compensation being advertised on the MLS would protect buyers interests. I often work in commercial deals that aren't listed on the MLS. When discussing these properties I simply call up the listing agent and ask what offer of compensation is being offered and make sure to write it into the contract. I also have worked on off-market deals where my buyers had to pay my commission. The conversation is quite simple "Hey, they're not willing to pay my commission so you're going to have to. I want 2.5%"

    The truth is that the rule changes are not going to produce the “desired effect” of limiting commissions or making home buying more affordable. They will however produce significant income for the lawyers who filed these suits. The good news isn’t for home buyers or home sellers.

    I have long found that other agents in this business don’t have the basic understandings of property law, contracts, and construction that are necessary to truly advise their clients on the purchase of a home. Most Realtors I know are happy to take their commission and step away from deals when things get tough.

    When I got into this business, my mantra became “the only deal that matters is the next one.” Meaning, don’t worry about what you are making today. By doing the right thing by your clients you will always set yourself up for success tomorrow.

    One of my first big deals in this business involved a sale of a friends home on Long Island. Prior to selling, he was concerned that a second floor bathroom in his house may not have been permitted. He contacted the local building department who ruled that the entire second story of his home was illegal.

    At this point I could have said forget it and walked away from the deal. I was in over my head. Did I know anything about construction, zoning, code enforcement, etc? No. But I hit the books, researched everything I could and I drew up a case for an administrative variance and presented it to a state engineer. He overruled the local building department. The second floor was legal and they were forced to give my client a CO for the bathroom, allowing the sale to proceed.

    When I first relocated to Florida one of the first buyers I met was a young couple looking for a fixer upper. Within 10 minutes of meeting them I knew they weren’t going to buy a home from me anytime soon. But I still took the time to show them every house they wanted to see. I needed to learn how the showing process in Florida worked and there was nothing wrong with getting reps in. I took the time to answer every question they had.

    Sure enough, they weren’t ready to buy a home yet. But a year later I got a call. Were they finally ready to buy their home from me? No. But they had become house flippers in the past year and had financial backing. They needed to buy 20 homes from me by year end. That one couple jump started my business in the State of Florida and put me on the path to where I am today.

    But not every story works out. I had some friends who used a friend of theirs as a buyers agent a few years back. She sold them a home with a faulty foundation, malfunctioning plumbing, and hidden mold behind a wall. As bad as that all sounds, ALL of these issues could have been taken care of before closing and repaired or her buyers could have backed out of the deal. Had I been their agent, I would have never let them put in an offer on a home with such obvious defects.

    After closing when all the problem became apparent their agent disappeared. Refused to take their phone calls and help in any way. So they reached out to me. I helped them figure out what needed to be done and helped them put together their case for their lawyer as there were multiple parties they had to sue. I also used my construction contacts to help them repair their home in the most affordable manner.

    So for those who say that today's settlement is bad news, you are correct. It is bad news for agents who don't provide value. It is bad news for agents who don't bring anything to the table besides a lawn sign and an MLS account.

    But today’s agreement isn’t just good news, it’s GREAT news for hardworking ethical agents.

    These new rules WILL push people who didn't belong in this business out. These new rules WILL probably eventually eliminate NAR and local boards as there will no longer be any point in joining them. These new rules WILL allow those of us who do the hard work and take proper care of our clients to generate even MORE business and negotiate our own rates.

    I don’t know about you, but I’m worth a minimum of 3% on every deal I touch.


    Thanks for writing this post, its really informative. I'm only a low volume flipper so take my comment with a grain of salt. In the 20 homes ive sold the listing agent has never been open to negotiating their commission...its 6% or no soup. FWIW I've also had 6 separate times where as a buyer they refused to submit my offer. Its not really a big deal though. I see agents as just transactional baggage. Its much better for them to sell a high dollar house to a retail buyer. Will this NAR ruling really have that much affect on investors? IDK

  • Real Estate Professional · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 252 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alan F.:

    Thanks for writing this post, its really informative. I'm only a low volume flipper so take my comment with a grain of salt. In the 20 homes ive sold the listing agent has never been open to negotiating their commission...its 6% or no soup. FWIW I've also had 6 separate times where as a buyer they refused to submit my offer. Its not really a big deal though. I see agents as just transactional baggage. Its much better for them to sell a high dollar house to a retail buyer. Will this NAR ruling really have that much affect on investors? IDK

    Alan, every commission is up for negotiation and always has been. If you spend some time shopping around you will absolutely be able to find Realtors willing to list for less than 6%. The big question is what kind of service/experience are they bringing to the table? I rarely charge a full 6% but I am often working with homes that resell north of 500k. If you are selling $100,000 homes I could understand agents holding on more. But you ALWAYS have the option of shopping with your feet. 

    Unless you're referring to negotiating AFTER the listing agreement was signed. In that case an agent would need some motivation to lower a commission. But if you haven't signed a listing agreement yet, why are you paying a full 6%? From the sound of your post you don't seem to be impressed with the service your agent offers.

    I don't believe the NAR ruling will have much impact on investors. I predict for an agent like me that works almost exclusively with investors there will be some annoyances and haggling over commission on the purchase side. Investors (rightfully) always want to keep their costs down and there are clients who will try to put my commission on the chopping block. However, as I always say "Deals aren't found, they're made." If I'm the one out there finding and analyzing deals, I can just as easily do it for someone willing to make sure I get paid as I can for someone who tries to cut my commission. 

    Point is, if you're an agent and you're actually bringing value to a transaction, none of this matters.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Stephen Dispensa:
    Quote from @Alan F.:

    Thanks for writing this post, its really informative. I'm only a low volume flipper so take my comment with a grain of salt. In the 20 homes ive sold the listing agent has never been open to negotiating their commission...its 6% or no soup. FWIW I've also had 6 separate times where as a buyer they refused to submit my offer. Its not really a big deal though. I see agents as just transactional baggage. Its much better for them to sell a high dollar house to a retail buyer. Will this NAR ruling really have that much affect on investors? IDK

    Alan, every commission is up for negotiation and always has been. If you spend some time shopping around you will absolutely be able to find Realtors willing to list for less than 6%. The big question is what kind of service/experience are they bringing to the table? I rarely charge a full 6% but I am often working with homes that resell north of 500k. If you are selling $100,000 homes I could understand agents holding on more. But you ALWAYS have the option of shopping with your feet. 

    Unless you're referring to negotiating AFTER the listing agreement was signed. In that case an agent would need some motivation to lower a commission. But if you haven't signed a listing agreement yet, why are you paying a full 6%? From the sound of your post you don't seem to be impressed with the service your agent offers.

    I don't believe the NAR ruling will have much impact on investors. I predict for an agent like me that works almost exclusively with investors there will be some annoyances and haggling over commission on the purchase side. Investors (rightfully) always want to keep their costs down and there are clients who will try to put my commission on the chopping block. However, as I always say "Deals aren't found, they're made." If I'm the one out there finding and analyzing deals, I can just as easily do it for someone willing to make sure I get paid as I can for someone who tries to cut my commission. 

    Point is, if you're an agent and you're actually bringing value to a transaction, none of this matters.

     I'm very tired of shopping for agents, I'm at a point that if they just do what they say they're going to do I'm happy. Average flip sale between 750k-1.2 mil. That's a 1700ft 52 yr old tract lol. I don't have "an agent" never have, hence shopping with feet.

    I figured that the ruling will have little impact on REI, maybe some of the flakes will be weeded out though.

  • Real Estate Professional · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 252 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alan F.:

     I'm very tired of shopping for agents, I'm at a point that if they just do what they say they're going to do I'm happy. Average flip sale between 750k-1.2 mil. That's a 1700ft 52 yr old tract lol. I don't have "an agent" never have, hence shopping with feet.

    I figured that the ruling will have little impact on REI, maybe some of the flakes will be weeded out though.


     Hey by all means do what's best for you. I'm just saying (especially at the volume you're talking) people should be FIGHTING to represent your properties.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Stephen Dispensa I think it will directly/indirectly affect investors because of pricing...  Not saying I have a perfect crystal ball on this, but we need to see how this ruling will affect the industry, especially buyers.

    I read a while ago how the avg/median loan was somthing like 7% down. Its a continuing trend over decades. People don't have the cash to put down more money. Now, they have to put up more money at closing to pay for their realtor? Its going to be like a FSBO as now the buyers will want to recoup that cost via the price of the home.

    Investors can talk trash about agents all they want...  Its the regular consumer that buys/sells a handful, at most, homes in their lifetime.  Many of them, even after a few transactions, still need an agent to help them through the transaction process.  I am guessing before the "buyer's agent" was created (around 2000 I hear...), i can see how agents got a bad reputation, and not just because they are sales.  The average buyer has no idea how to conduct a transaction, especially if they move from market to market / state to state.

    If we move away from a commission payment system, it puts a serious crimp on the agent / client relationship.  Pay by the showing?  Pay by the hour?  I know Redfin loves this since this is part of their model.  I find it rather impersonal, and basically trains new consumers to see agents as just doorpeople, and the advice/transaction is done through a national call center.

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2023 · 87 posts · 56 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Stephen Dispensa:

    Rarely do I feel the need to comment on the state of my industry. I have been a licensed Real Estate Salesperson, Agent, or Broker since 2015. In the 9 years I’ve spent licensed in this industry I have never been impressed much with my peers. I haven’t been shy about my disdain for many Realtors in this business. Now our “leadership” at the National Association of Realtors has proven just as feckless and ineffective as the vast majority of its membership.

    I have long thought that the NAR as well as State and Local Boards and MLS's that I have been a member of were bureaucratic cash grabs that existed solely to employ those among us that were not talented enough to actually sell real estate. It wasn't until today that I realized how useless these organizations are.

    If you’ve been following the news, there have been a lot of claims going around since The National Association of Realtors Commission Class-Action settlement offer was released. “It’s the end of the 6% commission!” “This is going to make home buying MUCH more affordable!”

    These statements and others touted in the media are uninformed and show a complete lack of understanding on how the real estate industry operates in the United States. Since no news article I’ve read on this ruling has been willing to summarize business practices in this industry, I may as well educate you as it seems no one else is willing to.

    When selling a home with a licensed real estate agent, the first step is for the seller and agent to enter a contract called a “listing agreement”. This agreement lists pretty much everything to do with selling the home: how long it will be on the market, what price it will be offered up for sale at, how it will be advertised, who will have access to the home, and the commission rate and split. The last point is the most important one to focus on here.

    In most (but not all) real estate transactions, the seller pays for the real estate commission out of the funds they receive for selling the home. When negotiating the listing agreement sellers and their agent agree on a commission rate as well as an “offer of cooperating compensation” or split.

    This “offer of cooperating compensation” defines how the commission will be split up between the agent for the seller (listing agent) and the agent for the buyer. For example, if the seller and their agent agreed upon a total commission of 6%, that 6% can be split evenly 3% to the listing agent and 3% to the buyer’s agent. OR it could be split 4% to the listing agent and 2% to the buyers agent. Or ANY different combination. The seller could negotiate with their agent a total commission of 4% with 2% offered out to the buyers agent. See it doesn’t matter, there are no rules governing this. It’s a negotiation just like any other aspect of business.

    This is the first area where our legal system has failed free enterprise in this case. Ruling that offering buyers agents a guaranteed commission split was price fixing makes NO sense as this amount was always negotiable during the listing agreement negotiation. Also, it could even be negotiated LATER in the process. MANY times I’ve had to cut my commission in order to get a deal through. Why judges and the DOJ feel they have a right to intercede here is beyond me.

    Once that listing agreement is finalized the property is listed on a local MLS which all agents who are members have access to. They can sign in to the MLS website and view properties for their buyers. Included in the property listings is the "offer of cooperating compensation". On their MLS they can see if a seller is offering out 1.5%, 2%, 2.5%, 3% commission etc.

    The claim in these lawsuits has been that agents are steering buyers away from properties that are offering lower commissions. There could be some truth in this, however this is accounted for generally in the laws of agency. Even the loosest laws of agency in states require obedience on the part of every agent. If a buyer wants to see a home, the agent needs to make the effort to show it to them regardless of the commission being paid out. And if an agent refuses to show a home? Well there’s another 1.5 million Realtors in this country that would be happy to show you the property. That’s the beauty of free enterprise.

    Furthermore I fail to see how eliminating guaranteed buyer agent compensation being advertised on the MLS would protect buyers interests. I often work in commercial deals that aren't listed on the MLS. When discussing these properties I simply call up the listing agent and ask what offer of compensation is being offered and make sure to write it into the contract. I also have worked on off-market deals where my buyers had to pay my commission. The conversation is quite simple "Hey, they're not willing to pay my commission so you're going to have to. I want 2.5%"

    The truth is that the rule changes are not going to produce the “desired effect” of limiting commissions or making home buying more affordable. They will however produce significant income for the lawyers who filed these suits. The good news isn’t for home buyers or home sellers.

    I have long found that other agents in this business don’t have the basic understandings of property law, contracts, and construction that are necessary to truly advise their clients on the purchase of a home. Most Realtors I know are happy to take their commission and step away from deals when things get tough.

    When I got into this business, my mantra became “the only deal that matters is the next one.” Meaning, don’t worry about what you are making today. By doing the right thing by your clients you will always set yourself up for success tomorrow.

    One of my first big deals in this business involved a sale of a friends home on Long Island. Prior to selling, he was concerned that a second floor bathroom in his house may not have been permitted. He contacted the local building department who ruled that the entire second story of his home was illegal.

    At this point I could have said forget it and walked away from the deal. I was in over my head. Did I know anything about construction, zoning, code enforcement, etc? No. But I hit the books, researched everything I could and I drew up a case for an administrative variance and presented it to a state engineer. He overruled the local building department. The second floor was legal and they were forced to give my client a CO for the bathroom, allowing the sale to proceed.

    When I first relocated to Florida one of the first buyers I met was a young couple looking for a fixer upper. Within 10 minutes of meeting them I knew they weren’t going to buy a home from me anytime soon. But I still took the time to show them every house they wanted to see. I needed to learn how the showing process in Florida worked and there was nothing wrong with getting reps in. I took the time to answer every question they had.

    Sure enough, they weren’t ready to buy a home yet. But a year later I got a call. Were they finally ready to buy their home from me? No. But they had become house flippers in the past year and had financial backing. They needed to buy 20 homes from me by year end. That one couple jump started my business in the State of Florida and put me on the path to where I am today.

    But not every story works out. I had some friends who used a friend of theirs as a buyers agent a few years back. She sold them a home with a faulty foundation, malfunctioning plumbing, and hidden mold behind a wall. As bad as that all sounds, ALL of these issues could have been taken care of before closing and repaired or her buyers could have backed out of the deal. Had I been their agent, I would have never let them put in an offer on a home with such obvious defects.

    After closing when all the problem became apparent their agent disappeared. Refused to take their phone calls and help in any way. So they reached out to me. I helped them figure out what needed to be done and helped them put together their case for their lawyer as there were multiple parties they had to sue. I also used my construction contacts to help them repair their home in the most affordable manner.

    So for those who say that today's settlement is bad news, you are correct. It is bad news for agents who don't provide value. It is bad news for agents who don't bring anything to the table besides a lawn sign and an MLS account.

    But today’s agreement isn’t just good news, it’s GREAT news for hardworking ethical agents.

    These new rules WILL push people who didn't belong in this business out. These new rules WILL probably eventually eliminate NAR and local boards as there will no longer be any point in joining them. These new rules WILL allow those of us who do the hard work and take proper care of our clients to generate even MORE business and negotiate our own rates.

    I don’t know about you, but I’m worth a minimum of 3% on every deal I touch.


    Amen!!! This is a great post, thank you for taking the time to write this!!

    My wife is an agent in NYC, she does really well and does all of the things that you outlined - takes time to learn if there is a barrier, guides her clients through the buying or renting process as seamlessly as possible, etc. I'm going to have to ask her what she thinks about this ruling, but I bet she'll feel the same way that you do.  :)

  • Logan LaperriereBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2023 · 333 posts · 124 votes
    2y

    Very well said. Agents who provide value will have no problem with the changes. I see this as being a fantastic opportunity.

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Stephen Dispensa I always use a buyers broker. One particular agent that I’ve used for over 20 years. I asked him about the ruling tonight and he said he believes that little will change in our local market except maybe with the realtors that come from “elsewhere”. He said cobrokes are so common that they aren’t going anywhere.

    Even if it does change he’s well worth 3% to me as he’s made me hundreds of thousands over the years.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Alecia Loveless

    Yeah, that's a good point...  I think the ruling "doesn't disallow" the current practice, its just trying to open up to different practices. Makes sense since Redfin's model is different. There was a company that didn't offer any split, but that died off.

    We MIGHT get more variable commission structures, such as 4% + 2.5% to the buyer or if the listing agent brings the buyer its 5%. Incentizes the listing agent to find a buyer and the seller to accept it.

    If buyers will have to price match/comparison shop between the different fees, it just becomes a small nightmare for them. Not to mention, you have to ask each listing for it since it will no longer allowed to be shown on the public listing.

  • Real Estate Professional · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 252 votes
    2y

    I'll make one other point here, and it's one I don't think anyone has consider. This is not a criminal ruling nor is it a legislative order changing any laws. This is a lawsuit settlement against NAR. What is to stop Local and / or State Boards from leaving NAR and continuing on with business as usual? To be honest, I don't really see any reason not to. The local and state boards weren't the ones that were sued.

    Let's be clear, the only reason the vast majority of real estate agents are members of NAR is because they are forced to join their local boards by their brokerages. Although I'm not worried about the end result of this, I can't help but feel NAR let it's membership down massively by failing to uphold their interests. I feel like a first year law student should have been able to make a case to get this suit thrown out. So what would the point be in remaining a part of an organization that is just hamstringing the way we do business?

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Stephen Dispensa actually, I think the MLS' that require NAR membership... Maybe it varies...

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y

    I wanted to leave NAR years ago but my state requires membership if I want to use the MLS. NAR has lost their way. They are more focused on social issues than they are on educating the masses or helping agents sell real estate.

    NAR is trying to sell this agreement as a win, but they threw our entire profession under the bus and it's going to hurt us in the long run. We currently advertise how much we will pay a buyer's agent. The fee is advertised publicly for all to see, regardless of age, gender, race, sexual orientation, accent, or whatever. If I offer 2% commission to a buyer's agent, it's available for every agent to see. Under this new agreement, my fees will be hidden. You won't know what they are until you send me an offer. If I don't a particular agent because of skin color, sexual orientation, or whatever, I may decide to offer them less. I can already see the discrimination lawsuits piling up!

    As a professional, I will be fine. I already use a Buyer's Agency Agreement and the Buyer has to agree to pay me, even though I attempt to get compensation from the Seller or Listing Agent. I'll navigate the new nonsense and continue to be successful. 

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Professional · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 252 votes
    2y
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Stephen Dispensa actually, I think the MLS' that require NAR membership... Maybe it varies...


    This is the point I'm making. What does NAR or your State Board ACTUALLY offer you? Local boards are small enough that individual realtors can effectively force changes. Why not tell all our local boards we want to withdraw from NAR? Change the MLS rules.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Stephen Dispensa

    Oh I understand your point... Just trying to clarify I thought the MLS' required it. For example, just having a real estate license isn't sufficient to gain membership to a MLS, which I believe most are owned by commercial third parties...

    As for our local boards... telling them to withdraw from NAR is like a catch-22 since they are all NAR subchapters I thought... It'd be a complete fragmentation of the trade association. Meanwhile, many agents work across board/MLS boundaries. So having different rules or customary practices I would expect get hectic.

    As for what NAR offers.. I don't have much to comment...

  • Real Estate Professional · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 252 votes
    2y

    Fragmentation would be the idea. Because NAR failed to protect the interest of the local members and are changing their policy, we secede and continue with business as it has been effectively done. My board has non-realtor members for example home inspectors and property appraisers. Personally if I could I would only subscribe to my MLS and have no interest in remaining a NAR or a Florida Realtor member.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Stephen Dispensa If I understand you correctly, by fragmenting you also want to "...business as it has been effectively done," i.e. business as usual?  From my layman's understanding, there is as court case that shows that "business as usual" isn't allowable/legal

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Stephen Dispensa

    Oh I understand your point... Just trying to clarify I thought the MLS' required it. For example, just having a real estate license isn't sufficient to gain membership to a MLS, which I believe most are owned by commercial third parties...

    As for our local boards... telling them to withdraw from NAR is like a catch-22 since they are all NAR subchapters I thought... It'd be a complete fragmentation of the trade association. Meanwhile, many agents work across board/MLS boundaries. So having different rules or customary practices I would expect get hectic.

    As for what NAR offers.. I don't have much to comment...


    This depends on the local MLS so I can only speak for mine but the way it works here is you get a discount on MLS dues if you are a Realtor/ NAR member. Any licensed agent can still get access as a non-Realtor by paying a bit more.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Steve K.:
    Quote from @David M.:

    @Stephen Dispensa

    Oh I understand your point... Just trying to clarify I thought the MLS' required it. For example, just having a real estate license isn't sufficient to gain membership to a MLS, which I believe most are owned by commercial third parties...

    As for our local boards... telling them to withdraw from NAR is like a catch-22 since they are all NAR subchapters I thought... It'd be a complete fragmentation of the trade association. Meanwhile, many agents work across board/MLS boundaries. So having different rules or customary practices I would expect get hectic.

    As for what NAR offers.. I don't have much to comment...


    This depends on the local MLS so I can only speak for mine but the way it works here is you get a discount on MLS dues if you are a Realtor/ NAR member. Any licensed agent can still get access as a non-Realtor by paying a bit more.


    Portland you must be a member of NAR and local board to get MLS access.
  • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Former Realtor here, so no dog in this particular hunt.

    I have always viewed NAR as a cartel.  In Massachusetts, I wasn't required to be a member and wasn't for a while.  However, the discounts on MLS fees paid for most the the NAR dues.  

    When I moved to Maine, NAR membership was required for MLS access.

    NAR likes to push a narrative that members are held to a higher standard than non members.  Baloney.  Nearly everything that was in the NAR code of ethics was replicated in state law.  The COE is NAR-inspired fiction.

    In fact, the NAR code of ethics required that when asked, I had to disclose whether or not I had other offers on the table.  That goes against the interests of my seller, so rules or no rules, I refused as I was a fiduciary to my client.

    It always seemed to me that NAR was in it for the money.  $500+ each year for dues is a lot, especially when you're a new agent who is trying to figure out how to pay desk fees, business cards, continuing ed and soul-crushing marketing costs.

    One piece of particularly irritating bullcrap in the media reporting though (big surprise, right?). 

    In every training session I attended it was POUNDED into our heads that there was no such thing as a "standard" commission.  If we found ourselves in a discussion with other agents, where they said "we should all agree to charge X%", we should loudly and publicly excuse ourselves from that discussion.  Price fixing was taken very, very seriously.  Commissions were 100% negotiable.

    I wonder though, in the end whether buyer's agents will be necessary.  

    If I were Joe Homebuyer and saw the listing on Zillow, why wouldn't I call the listing agent?   That agent still has to disclose known defects and treat me fairly.  Retain a real estate attorney or title company and I'm getting pretty much the same representation as with a buyer's agent.

    If anything, I see this as a threat to buyer's agents, who may well find themselves disintermediated like travel agents and neighborhood stationery stores.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.