New Investor - First property in process

New Investor - First property in process

New to Real Estate · Lexington, KY · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 4 votes

Hey everyone - I'm a new investor located in Lexington, KY. Before I get to the deal I'll provide a little background. I have 4-5 friends who have gotten into real estate investing over the past several years. I was always curious, but have a job I love and never wanted to spend the time to get involved. I knew there was plenty of potential (my wife and I have bought and sold several homes in our 7 years of marriage and have done well on them) so when I was stuck at home for 2-3 months I started reading Rich Dad Poor Dad at the behest of a close friend. Fast forward 3 months and I've read more books and listened to more BP podcasts than I had the past 10 years. My father is a general contractor and had purchased a property last year mainly due to an investor friend of his who encouraged him to do so. Once I learned about the BRRRR strategy I explained how it worked to my dad and helped him through his refinance on his rental property which he owned outright (cash purchase, cash rehab). We decided to go into business together and he seeded our REI company with the proceeds from the refi.

Now onto this deal. We have looked about 10-15 SFH and duplexes in the past 6 weeks or so. We had a few that we made offers on but ultimately lost out to higher bids. We met an investor while out one weekend and he had an off-market property that he was thinking of selling. We saw it, loved it, ran comps, and bought it. Here are the deal points below. The one thing I'm struggling with is to flip it and create additional capital for us, or to hold it and rent. Feel free to offer up any thoughts to what you believe we should do. I know that the long term goal is buy and hold to build wealth, but additional capital in the short term may allow us to do multiple properties at once.


Purchase Price: $75K

Rehab Estimate: $60K

ARV: $200K

Estimated Monthly Rent: $1,500

*This is a cash purchase and cash rehab so no holdover costs. The home is in a good neighborhood in a good school district and is roughly 2K sq ft. We are taking it from a 3/1.5 to a 4/2 and the renovation is expected to take 4-5 weeks. The rehab estimate may be slightly high, but really confident it would be no more than $60K. If this was your property what would you consider if trying to rent or flip?

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, AL · Member since 2017 · 277 posts · 221 votes
6y

@Josh Franklin I think the answer comes down to whether or not your business with you Dad could use the extra capital from the flip for future deals or if you have enough cash on hand to not worry about it. I try to BRRRR as many properties as I can and only flip it if the rent isn't high enough to make it cash flow or I could use the profit from the flip for a larger deal.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I’d rent, refinance out 150k, and repeat just like brrrr says to.

    You can use private money or hard money lenders if you need more capital.

    Even family members will want to get in on the action once they see you have a successful model.


    Lexington looks so nice I want to buy something there.

  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Josh Franklin congrats on closing! $75K for a property with $200K ARV sounds like a pretty sweet deal

  • New to Real Estate · Lexington, KY · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Michael P. That’s definitely the direction I’m leaning. Wanted to put it out to folks here just in case there’s something I’m missing. Thanks for the input!

  • New to Real Estate · Lexington, KY · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Max Sherman thanks a lot. It was definitely a great find (off market, lot of work) and the gentleman we purchased from still made money on the deal as well. He just decided it was more work than he wanted to put in. The ability to do this work at cost and do it quickly is what I hope will make this a very good property.

  • Rental Property Investor · Montgomery, AL · Member since 2017 · 277 posts · 221 votes
    6y

    @Josh Franklin I think the answer comes down to whether or not your business with you Dad could use the extra capital from the flip for future deals or if you have enough cash on hand to not worry about it. I try to BRRRR as many properties as I can and only flip it if the rent isn't high enough to make it cash flow or I could use the profit from the flip for a larger deal.

  • Financial Advisor · Lexington, KY · Member since 2012 · 150 posts · 66 votes
    6y

    Awesome! Congrats @Josh Franklin! Where in Lexington? We're focused in 40507 & 40508.

  • New to Real Estate · Lexington, KY · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Jonathan Pliszka this particular property is actually in Versailles. We are looking all over Lex and surrounding counties currently.

  • Financial Advisor · Lexington, KY · Member since 2012 · 150 posts · 66 votes
    6y

    @Josh Franklin Excellent! Way to take action! 

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 110 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    @Josh Franklin Would BRRRR all day if it will cash flow after refinancing. You might only refinance out only your capital invested instead of 75 LTV. Taxes will eat up your profit flipping it (depending on your tax bracket) unless 1031 exchange. Congrats on an awesome off market deal - market is crazy high these days.

  • New to Real Estate · Lexington, KY · Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Matt Bailey thanks man. That’s the route we are going and I’m going to manage the property myself. Cash flow looks good and out lender will let us do 80% if we want.

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 110 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    Awesome @Josh Franklin. BRRRR all day. I manage my own as well - its not that bad.

  • Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    Ohhh but that extra cash could come in very handy in freeing up some money by making this one a flip!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.