Brand new to multifamilies/REI in general - Fourplex Analysis

Brand new to multifamilies/REI in general - Fourplex Analysis

Investor · SE Wisconsin/NE Illinois · Member since 2012 · 109 posts · 57 votes

Hey Guys, I am looking at buying my first investment property. I currently live in an 8-plex (2/1 units for $625) in a C+ neighborhood. The property I am looking at is a quadplex in a C/C- neighborhood. Here are the numbers:

Asking price: 120K
Units are 2/1's, rent for $600 each
Built in 1959
Tenant pays heat and electric

Income: $600 x 4= 2400/month and 28.8K/ yearly
I used the 50% rule to cover expenses, but some of them would presumably be:
Insurance: $115
Taxes: $357
Vacancy: $240 (10%)

The property seems to some sense using the 2% rule (2400 a month rents is 2% of 120k).

Financing: I plan to live in one of the units and use FHA financing.
FHA down payment of 3.5%: 4200
Loan of 115,800 at 3.5% interest= $520 monthly payment

After 50% Rule, $1200-$520 = 680/4 = $170 profit per unit/monthly

I have just a couple questions about the property.

The owner recently bought it and replaced the windows/doors and claims that the building is in good shape.

1. Why would try to get rid of the property if he is presumably profiting 170 per unit on a monthly basis.
2. The neighborhood is slightly worse than the one I live in now. I am comfortable in my neighborhood, but not so sure about the quadplex neighborhood (although it is only C vs my current C+). Has anyone ever had to choose and been in this situation before?

I'm also hoping someone will comment on this potential deal and see what people before me have encountered or done. Thank you!!

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2012 · 51 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    What exactly do you mean by a C neighborhood? I understand the property classes, but it seems like everyone has different grading standards.

    The potential I see in renting to a C neighborhood is the problem tenants that you may be renting to. I'd just want to make sure that I could get tenants that are decent because one bad tenant could kill your profit.

    Good job on actively trying to find deals and I wish you the best!

    Dave

  • Investor · SE Wisconsin/NE Illinois · Member since 2012 · 109 posts · 57 votes
    13y

    I'm sorry, I should've clarified on my unofficial grading scale. Im a student so I was grading on a A - F grading scale. A+ has the best money can buy (condos & million dollar homes) while F is the poorest neighborhood type (inner city,boarded up homes.

    The C+ neighborhood i live in probably has median home values between 100k and 150k. It is mostly single families with 4-8 plexes scattered throughout. It is located about a mile from a nicer suburb.

    The 4 plex I am interested in is similar except the home values range between 60k and 110k and there are more multifamilies around it, so I would rate it a C/C- and this neighborhood is a bit deeper in the actual city of Milwaukee.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.