Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Cornelia
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
How My House Hack is Opening Up Doors for Me [Part 1]

Spencer Cornelia
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Posted

Hello BP!  In September 2016, I decided to buy a condo in Las Vegas, NV.  After watching a couple of BP podcast videos on YouTube, I believed that house hacking was exactly what I wanted to do with my first purchase.

I found an awesome 2 bed / 2 bath condo in a nice gated, golf-course community next to the Las Vegas strip for $120,000.

Here are the numbers:

Down Payment: $24,000 (20%)

Closing Costs: ~$3,000

Interest Rate: 4.25%

Insurance: $30/month

Property Tax: $50/month

HOA: $344/month

Furniture: ~$1000 total (including tenant's room)

Monthly, my total costs are ~$880.  My roommate pays $700 total (includes electric and highest speed internet) and I've yet to go a month without a roommate.

This has allowed me to increase my income an extra $8400/year which represents ~20% of my w2 income.  The extra cash has now allowed me opportunities to begin my investing career.

Additionally, the Vegas market has been ridiculously hot and the condo has appreciated ~$40k in under 2 years.

I am of the belief that good things happen after good decisions are made.  I certainly got fortunate with the appreciation, but I would not be in this position without about 100 'good' decisions that I made before buying this condo, living frugally for multiple years, and working hard to land in a career that pays reasonably well.

I'm very appreciative of this community and will have part 2 coming shortly.

User Stats

Votes
Bill B.#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied

@Spencer Cornelia

In case no one has said this to you over the last couple years...

WELL DONE!

Maybe some time in the future you can find a second room mate to take your place and buy another one, but until then. Good Job. 

-Bill

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Cornelia
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied

Thanks @Bill B. good to see another Vegas resident in here. The HOA is a little bit of a pain with wanting to move on. They have a owner occupied % rule where a certain amount of the community must be owner occupied. Sadly, the list is like 100 people long and it's taken me 1.5 years just to move up 20 spots. Not until I reach the first spot can I have the option to rent out my condo (and thus making it non owner occupied).

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
BiggerPockets prefers Baselane The #1 REI platform that integrates banking, rent collection and bookkeeping to save time and money.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Lee
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied

Nice @Spencer Cornelia....good stuff you're sharing here.  See you at the next get together!

User Stats

Votes
Jon Lee
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied

Just another thought @Spencer Cornelia...if you want to move on AND you have more equity in the property; you can always creatively seller finance the condo so you don't feel stuck living in it. That way you get cashflow without the ownership responsibilities and HOA restrictions. Just a thought...would be happy to discuss further with you if you like.

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Cornelia
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied

@Jon Lee I'll bring it up next time I see you.  I'm not entirely sure I can do this for a couple reasons, but would love to hear your thoughts.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Del-Mundo
Pro Member
  • Renton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Renton, WA
Replied

That’s awesome! My family also has a unit in the same complex, hopefully I’ll run into you in the future. 

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Cornelia
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied

@Michael Del-Mundo I actually have mine listed right now so I hope not (which means I sold haha).  Great community and I love living in LVCC, but I have better house hacking alternatives within Vegas that I'll be taking advantage of shortly.