Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Peter Lange
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Need Advice on Private Money Lender Paperwork

Peter Lange
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Posted Jul 13 2015, 10:16

I'm putting together a deal where we will have 75-80% conventional funding and 20-25% private money - so no money down. For context, this deal is in Texas. I have the private money lined up and committed. However, I'm looking for a template for a private money lender agreement. I checked the BP FilePlace, but nothing seemed to fit. Can anyone help point me in the right direction for a template to use for the private money side of this deal? Of course, the conventional lender doesn't know anything about the private money side of this deal. The private money funds are being seasoned in my account. Do I need to file anything with the county or state on this "second" loan? Please let me know if I need to provide any more deal clarification. 

User Stats

Votes
Darrell Shepherd
  • Rehabber
  • Smyrna, GA
Votes |
  • Rehabber
  • Smyrna, GA
Replied Jul 13 2015, 10:27

It'll vary some by state, but it is essentially just a note outlining the terms of the loan and a security deed (varies by state) which binds the loan to the house.

I actually do my own, but if you aren't familiar with the process you should have an attorney write that stuff up for you.

Most Hard Money lenders dont want you to have a second, but if you are going conventional they probably dont care.  

User Stats

Votes
Peter K.
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Jul 13 2015, 11:12

hello @Peter Lange

I agree with @Darrell Shepherd   

Ask your title co (or re lawyer, depending who handles closings in your state).  They may be able to help facilitate the paperwork for you.  

If not, reach out to you local rei group leader and ask them. They probably can help steer you in the right direction.  

As a last resort try googling "Texas private money note" or a couple of variations on that search term. You'll likely come up with a downloadable doc that you can have a lawyer or escrow company review.  

Good luck!

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Lange
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 14 2015, 12:19

Thanks for the feedback. My title company was not helpful at all. Turning to lawyer next, but was hoping to avoid that. I feel like I'm reinventing a wheel that has already been created thousands of times.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Lesley
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jul 14 2015, 12:34

Have you talked to your escrow or title company?

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Jul 14 2015, 12:41

Well, congratulations on admitting to mortgage fraud on the internet, Mr. Lange from Austin, Tx.  LOL You even went so far as to show the intent to defraud the lender by seasoning the funds in your account! 

When you see your attorney, be sure to point this out to them, they will need to know so they can fix what you probably screwed up. 

In Texas, the agreement you're asking for is a Note and Deed of Trust.  

You probably don't know that loans are reviewed after they are made, there can be several audits. Another deed of trust filed within a time frame of your original loan will be a red flag to investigate the use of funds. You title company probably wasn't much help as they may have seen what you were doing and weren't going to be involved with it, they may not even close that second "private money transaction". 

I usually give the benefit of the doubt to new posters, but not in this case since you spelled out your intent to season private money in your account. 

Might beat feet to your attorney, another thing you may not be aware of is that lenders, title folks, regulators, law enforcement, HUD types are all on the internet and this is a public forum! Mortgage fraud.....up to $100,000 fine and/or 10 years in a federal prison. Good luck :)

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Jul 14 2015, 13:02

What 

@Bill Gulley was referring to is the notion of a "silent second" - Google search that term ...

User Stats

Votes
Brian Gibbons#5 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Votes |
Brian Gibbons#5 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Replied Jul 14 2015, 13:21

@Peter Lange

See 

http://pmfpartners.com/about-us

You need to consult with a Private Lender Expert privately.

@Don Konipol

User Stats

Votes
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Jul 14 2015, 13:27
Originally posted by @Steve Babiak:

What 

@Bill Gulley was referring to is the notion of a "silent second" - Google search that term ...

Steve, I tried that, got a lot on foreclosure seconds. Add to that; mortgage fraud. 

Conventional lending risks are pretty well based on the skin in the game, that being the borrower's skin, not some else's. 

This is a big deal, especially in low-moderate income areas, eventually it flows through to foreclosures, degrading neighborhoods and property values dropping. You might say its where the cancer begins, trying to out fox the regulatory requirements that were set there for a reason is not the way to conduct business. :)

User Stats

Votes
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Jul 14 2015, 13:35
Originally posted by @Brian Gibbons:

@Peter Lange

See 

http://pmfpartners.com/about-us

You need to consult with a Private Lender Expert privately.

@Don Konipol

I suggest he discloses the private money to his conventional lender, like yesterday! No "expert" is going to evade an audit. Just saying....  :)

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Jul 14 2015, 13:46

Good link on "silent second":

http://loans.org/mortgage/articles/silent-second-f...

When you search, include the quotation marks ...

User Stats

Votes
Peter Lange
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 14 2015, 15:15

Thanks for all of the great feedback guys. We change the structure of the deal to be in legal compliance. Appreciate it.