Capital gain on a flip to sell

Capital gain on a flip to sell

Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 49 posts · 7 votes

Hello Everyone!

I am trying to break down different scenarios for a future flip in Chicago and was hoping I can get some feedback from people. I do plan to do this under my own name and not in the name of an LLC(for this deal). I will be putting in most of the money for the purchase and rehab but will also have a partner for any of the remaining rehab amount. I have an understanding of how the federal taxes would work (at least somewhat), I would add the profit from the flip to my current income and then pay the taxes according to the tax bracket I am in(if sold under 1 year-which is the plan).

To make things easier to explain, lets use this example:

Purchase price (includes all purchasing expenses) = $150,000

Rehab, holding, closing, etc costs = $50,000

Total expenses = $200,000

Lets say it sells at $250,000 so profit = $50,000

I put in $170,000 my partner $30,000

We agree to split the profit %in for %out.... so in this case 85/15

What I am trying to determine is how does uncle sam account for all the expenses in order to subtract it from the final sales price to get your total profit on which they will charge you capital gains? (what documents/receipts,etc do I need to provide them with)

What about the state of Illinois, what are there capital gain rates?

How do they account for the money your partner contributes(in this case some of the rehab costs)?  Do my partner and I have to set-up any specific documents in order to provide them with the proof of this, or just receipts?

I might not be asking the right questions so feel free to help fill in any of the blanks, ask questions, heck even criticize (if it will help me learn and understand how this works).

0Reply
23 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Watertown, MA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Hi Alex - I am not an accountant and best to seek consultation from one on the ultimate reporting and documentation of your flip.  

    However, in my experience and having partnered on deals as an individual and not an LLC or other entity, I keep track of all of the expenses and just perform the math on the difference between the purchase price and the sale price less all of the expenses to get to the profit. My deals were 50/50 situations so easy to divide from that standpoint. Tax docs are also generated when the property is sold so you will receive that tax doc which discloses the sale price and best to record and document all receipts to back up your expenses as well as your purchase docs.

    Your profit will be taxed as a short term capital gain if the property is bought and sold within a year and will be taxed federally at your ordinary income tax rate.

    Hope this provides some level of info for you but again I would speak to any CPA and they will give you the quick run down.  Also always probably best to set up as an entity as opposed to partnering as an individual but that's another story altogether.

    Steve

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    A rehab flip will be taxed as ordinary income including both sides of SS/Med, not short term cap gains.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.