What systems, processes or tricks do you use to acquire properties?

What systems, processes or tricks do you use to acquire properties?

Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes

I was participating in a thread by @Sandra Holt who war generously sharing the acquisition of her second rental.

Many congratulations and comments later, I asked one of the responders if he would explain a technique he mentioned in his answer. What he posted is so great that it deserves its own thread and since newbies like mee need clearly defined steps and even explanation of why those steps are needed, I asked if I could start a new thread with his fabulous answer. Thank you @Mike H for allowing me to share your detailed answer. 

"Not sure I'm the right one to follow on finding a deal.

But for me, its all about having a good size market to look for houses in and then learning the markets. I'm south of Chicago and really not a suburb of it. More just like a bunch of small towns that all flow into each other.

That being said. Here is my process for finding a deal.
1) Check the listing sites daily. And I do mean daily.
Hud, realtor.com, auction.com, hubzu,com.

2) Look for my target properties:
a) 1,200 or more square feet
b) 3 bedrooms
c) 1.5 bath

3) Look for anything listed around 130k or less.
I'm looking to be all in (purchase plus rehab) at about 65% LTV. And the numbers only seem to work in that price range where the house sells for between 60k to 90k.

But I like to watch the stuff as it drops down to 130k or less because those houses at 130k can magically end up price dropping enough to where they can be had for that 60k to 90k range and I can be all in at my 65% LTV.

I won't make low ball offers on 130k listings that have been on the market for 2 weeks. Instead, I'll wait for those 130k listings to come down to say 100k and that have been sitting on MLS for 3 months. Then I'll try an 80k offer. HUD deals are the best. Just gotta be willing to sit on the sidelines until they've hit that 2 to 3 months mark. Then the discount magic can happen.

4) Go look at houses.
This is a very underappreciated step. Bottom line is that its really important to see the houses before the prices really drop. Once I've seen it and have an idea on the rehab, then when they do drop the price, I can put in an offer that day.

And believe me when I say, that ability to offer that very day they drop the price has gotten me several houses.

Not only that but sometimes you see a house sitting and the pics make it look like garbage so you assume there's just no reason to look. GO LOOK. Pics can be very deceiving and you can really steal some houses that way. There are some houses that end up being really decent and, in terms of a rental, make for some great deal because there's some feature that puts people off that can be easily addressed.

Sometimes its no garage. Sometimes its because the cabinets are missing. I got one house strictly because the bathroom vanity was missing. The realtor said an owner occupant had an offer accepted on it before for about 20k more. The thing was missing a bathroom vanity so their lender said no way. The bank that owned the property then switched the offer criteria to cash only. Out by me, not many owner occupants doing cash deals and not as many investors either.

But I told the listing broker I wanted to do a rehab loan on and would they take that and the bank said yes. Put the bid in and got the house with rehab financing.

Funny part is the house was listed as a 3/2 but it was actually a 4/2. Another reason why taking a look at houses is really key.

But thats my process for finding a deal.
1) Watch your deal sources daily.
2) Go LOOK at houses. If you don't love to look at houses, you may not really enjoy being an investor. :-)
3) Put in your offers at numbers that make sense to you and to your source.
For instance, I won't offer 50% of the list price on an REO thats been on the market for 2 weeks. Thats just wasting time. But I might put in an offer at 60% of list price on a hud deal thats been there for 3 months. Or, say, 15% off list on a homepath thats in reduced mode.

As you start putting in offer and getting counters or deals, you'll start seeing the patterns. But every once in awhile I'll throw out a flyer on something too and it gets accepted. Only with the hud deals though since thats some crazy formula and doesn't require my realtor or me to do much - just enters a number and no signing of an offer unless that number is actually accepted.

Even then, I try not to be silly. I think I have their new discount patter figured out. We'll see. Interestingly enough, I think hud caught on too and they stopped countering so that investors would stop going fishing. :-)”

What do you do to get an edge on the competition? Do you have systems in place to maximize your productivity and keep organized?"

@Jonna Webber and @Judi Drummond Would you please post what you shared before on Sandra’s thread?

Thank you BP for making Mike’s words so true 

“Thats the beauty of BP. We contribute a little and we get a lot.... :-)”

4Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 418 votes
11y

Having a realtor that does all that for me and brings me the deal.  Hard to find, but totally worth it when you do.    My edge is everything is in place when I make an offer and I'll close quickly.  I don't pursue a deal unless cash, financing, and all the other details are in place to execute within 30 days.  

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 418 votes
    11y

    Having a realtor that does all that for me and brings me the deal.  Hard to find, but totally worth it when you do.    My edge is everything is in place when I make an offer and I'll close quickly.  I don't pursue a deal unless cash, financing, and all the other details are in place to execute within 30 days.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 258 posts · 90 votes
    11y

    @Pyrrha Rivers 

    I will tell you something that work each and every time. Question is will you do it?

    I see you have your criteria  covered very well. 

    Don't forget the assessment value in an area that properties sell for $130K you want to assessment value to be as little as possible, that means they owned it for a long time.

    Do this with absentee owners. Get your list from a title company at ZERO Cost to you.

    then Send you data to data24-7.com and they will produce the phone number to the mailing address of the absentee owner for pennies, then contact them.

    How difficult was this.

    Comeback with the news of the deals you got. 

    Sincerely,

    Morry

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    @Bryan N. What a great system you have in place! I see the preparation being totally controllable by the investor. The finding a great Realtor is as you mentioned. difficult but worth striving for.

    Thanks for sharing.

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    @Morry Eghbal Just to clarify, the great criteria coverage is not mine but from Mike H who shared it on a previous thread. I am a newbie with a predilection for systems and processes, so I found Mike’s post amazing.

    Now let me dig a little deeper on your tip. When you say assessment value: Are you referring to what is found in the tax assessors site. Am I correct?

    The title company tip. Is that connected to the assessment tip to follow once the assessed value is found? or a separate strategy? I’m thinking it’s separate but want to make sure of where to save this nugget.

    Thank you so much for sharing.

  • Real Estate Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 258 posts · 90 votes
    11y

    @Pyrrha Rivers You are a smart individual.  I thought you might not have cut on that.

    Every time a property sells it get reassessed. A house could worth $125,000 but the assessment value could be $75,000. 

    When it sells the assessment value gets recalculated and it shows up at $125,000. Because in many cases it is hard for the title company to produce a last sales data...This is an easier indicator to know a property has been owned for a long time.

    Second thing is, I don't want you just to blow $1,000 on absentee mailing when you can call them...and see if it produces results for just a few dollars. 

    The key is equity.

    Let me know if I explained enough. or I am sure many others will have more details on this.

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    @Morry Eghbal Thank you so much! I am just studious and wanting to absorb a fraction of the knowledge you great posters share. Because I am new at this, concepts that may be simple and common to the experienced investor are quite complicated for me, so I decided to ask clarifying questions to aide my understanding. Living in Japan as I currently do, makes phone calls a bit tricky because of the time difference, but with solid reasons and a good pot of coffee, a phone call session is more than possible for me. :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 258 posts · 90 votes
    11y

    @Pyrrha Rivers Keep learning, If you have any questions this is a great place to ask...I have a busy schedule myself, whenever I get a chance I look to see who has a question that I could answer or learn from.....Enjoy Japan

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    @Morry Eghbal Thank you so much!

  • Miramar, FL · Member since 2014 · 54 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    @Pyrrha Rivers 

    Thanks so much for sharing this post. Really great tips in it as well as those shared by others as a result of it. I am an Agent as well as working on my own investing career, so this offers great information. @Bryan N. 

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    @Marvin Dean It's the BP magic! You give a little and you get a lot. Or you ask a question and you get a complete education. Glad you find it as useful as I do. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    In terms of the assessment rules, I think thats more of a california thing. Here in Illinois and most other states that I'm aware of, they reassess the property differently than in california. It looks like there in cali, they only reassess the homes after a sale. Here they do it regularly. 

    Depending on the county, here in illinois they do it every 2 to 4 years. So you are never going to see an assessment that is way off the market value. It used to be that the assessments tended to run below market value. Now i'd say that - at least here - they're either right at the number or above it.....

    Counties have an interesting method for keeping assessments up even though the market has dropped.  Their logic - all the other houses are assessed at that amount.   Well, guess what, those are all wrong too.... :-)

    But just wanted to point out the assessment thing being more unique to Cali. I don't think you'll see that work in many other states.

  • Real Estate Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 258 posts · 90 votes
    11y

    @Pyrrha Rivers 

    Here is the other key. 

    Motivation. Motivation is the Mother of all sales. But it help when in could be back up with equity. 

    It does you not good to deal with a motivated seller who is over  encumbered. 

    You will learn how to detect and find out the level of motivation by asking questions.

    For example.

    How soon do you want to sell?

    What is the least you would take?

    How much you have to have in your hand to make the move?

    You also learn it is easier to negotiate if you isolate the price from the amount of the money a person has to have in his or hand to make the move.

    Keep on learning.

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 785 posts · 190 votes
    11y

    My 'trick' is to work with expert investors who bring ME the deals. I help them find business, they send me the deals. My only jobs is to raise the capital to buyer more of the deals they bring me. 

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 785 posts · 190 votes
    11y

    I have all the respect in the world for investors who have a system for finding their own deals. But man, it's a lot easier as a new investor to work with experts who have done all that work in advance for you :). 

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    11y

    @Mike H. Thanks for pointing out the assessment difference from one area to the next. @Morry Eghbal Those are some very good questions to ask. @Account Closed I want to be just like you! worrying only about finding the money. That would actually be the ideal scenario for me since I'm abroad, but my network does not yet contain those expert investors that can bring me deals I trust. Working on it, though!

    Thank you all so much for our feedback.

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 785 posts · 190 votes
    11y

    thanks good luck to you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.