Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Vaudo
Votes |
When to ask for P&L, tenant ledgers, etc.

Anthony Vaudo
Posted

Hello,

I am looking at a mixed use property on Long Island (first floor retail plus 4 residential above) and would like to know when the most appropriate time is to ask for things like audited financial statements, tenant ledgers and/or anything I else I should be asking for?  Is it (a) pre-offer (b) after an accepted offer but before contract signing (c) after contract signing during a due diligence period?  I just want to make sure that I am able to fully validate all of the financials and not on the hook/forfeit my deposit if the numbers do not match what's being advertised.  Also do not want to scare away the seller.  Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Mohammed Rahman
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • New York, NY
Replied

Hey @Anthony Vaudo - good question to ask, and you shouldn't be nervous to ask it whenever you want to see it. 

Sometimes this happens before making an offer, sometimes it happens during the contract review - but it should NEVER happen after you sign contracts. Even if there is a due diligence period, that is material information that should be provided up front. 

Most times, the due diligence period is used for you to bring out your inspector to physically test the property (environmental, structural, roof, etc.) 

You won't be scaring away the seller, this is a completely normal thing to request and your broker should be the one prodding the seller's side for this info up front (especially if the seller's side hasn't provided it already with the marketing material at the very least). 

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Vaudo
Votes |
Replied

Thank you Mohammed! Very helpful..

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.