Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Audrey Blotz
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Votes |
2 good deals - choose 1 or do both?

Audrey Blotz
Pro Member
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Posted May 30 2024, 13:26

Happy Thursday! 

I’m in the great spot of having found a couple of good deals and naturally I want to do both, but would like some input from more seasoned investors. My husband and I just sold a rental property in WA state so we have about $85k to invest. 

Deal #1 - off market property with studio ADU (kitchenette has a sink only, no fridge or oven). Using seller financing at $450k purchase price, $65k down, 4.9% interest with 5 year balloon. Plan to rent main house (2500sq ft) long term and MTR the ADU. CoC about 5% initially but could possibly MTR the main house in the future. Pretty good appreciation potential.

Deal #2 - MLS property using conventional loan with purchase price of $240k, 10% down, 7.5% interest, will need about $12-15k in updates/rehab. Also has a 2/1 ADU with full kitchen. Would rent main house (1600sq ft) long term and ADU as midterm. Great appreciation potential! CoC would be about 25%.

The first deal is also through a family member so that always clouds the water a bit. About to sign purchase agreement with them when we came across the 2nd deal yesterday. Should I walk away from the first property or try to raise private money to make both deals happen? 

Thanks for any insight! 

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Replied Jun 1 2024, 08:56

You have the upside covered.  Now look at the downside.  3 scenarios. Each property just by itself.  Both properties together.  

Run what ifs:

1.  Renter A quits paying for xx months

2.  Unit B has unexpected capex of $xx,xxx

3.  Family members needs money now after deal is done.  Impact of refinancing? 

Compare the risk reward between the 3 scenarios.  Can you handle?  

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Gentile
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Worcester, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Worcester, MA
Replied Jun 1 2024, 09:03

Definitely comes down to risk assessment and bandwidth. If you can do one successfully I could imagine you could do two, but do you have the resources financial and time/manpower to operate two deals at once. 

Worst case, figure out which one has less risk and more upside, take that one and offload the second to someone else for a fee and you still get a return on it even if its marginal in comparison.

Personally I would offload the family one to avoid that cloud unless you can for sure do them both.

Good luck!

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Jake Baker
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jun 1 2024, 12:07

@Audrey Blotz

Definitely dont bite off more than you can chew. Be sure to have proper reserves on the sideline incase rehabs go over budget or timelines get extended. If you have a solid plan in place, go for it!

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Jun 1 2024, 13:59

For deal 1 is the ADU able to be used for living space? What would you do for the kitchen and how much would it cost?

Also are you able to get financing for both with less than 20% down?  20% down is the norm for most rentals.  First on is seller financing, so perhaps.  Purchase prices are quite different ($240K vs $450K)...is that due to location and size?

I bought two rentals within a month or two of each other. One needed some work, other was turn key; but both were SFH. Taking on two rentals with 4 units is a lot.

User Stats

Votes
Audrey Blotz
Pro Member
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Replied Jun 3 2024, 14:01

Unfortunately, we ended up looking into the ADU on Deal #2 a bit further and found out that the ADU, carport and part of the addition to the main house were not permitted, so decided to walk away. I appreciate all your guys' advice!