Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Local Real Estate Networking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Cory Lucas
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brighton, IL
Votes |
Am I being sold snake oil?

Cory Lucas
Pro Member
  • Brighton, IL
Posted

So I met with a gentleman yesterday who is an Executive and Business Coach. I sought him out after attending a local REIA meetup. He was of course incredibly convincing, has mastermind meetups, and seemed very genuine, but at the same time seems to be a very good salesman. I can be very vulnerable and realize this in myself. This is the first time I've ever sought out services like this. To attend his mastermind and get access to those things he offers he said it was $2,000 upfront then $747/month.

Seems expensive, but for those that have done things like this before or done courses like that is this reasonable?

• Cory Lucas
  • User Stats

Votes
    Cory Lucas
    Pro Member
    • Brighton, IL
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Brighton, IL
    Replied

@Matt Buroni very true and good points. Thanks for chiming in

• Cory Lucas
  • Account Closed
    • Investor
    • Singapore
    Votes |
    • Investor
    • Singapore
    Replied

Its not about real estate, its about you. Most executive coaches hired by big companies get paid big bucks to work with top executives. Its about knowing yourself, how you think, what are your blind spots, how to be more effective etc. Its more like business therapy. This is different from your average real estate "mentor".

BiggerPockets logo
    BiggerPockets
    |
    Sponsored
    Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
    Cory Lucas
    Pro Member
    • Brighton, IL
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Brighton, IL
    Replied

@Anish Tolia and I agree with this and doing doubt the value. Unfortunately given my present situation it’s a lot of money, so I just need to decide if it’s a road I plan to go down and if so I just have to figure out how to afford it is all. Thanks for chiming in

• Cory Lucas
  • User Stats

Votes
    James NA
    Votes |

There are VERY FEW DEALS AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW….

There is inventory for sale…but

NOT…..Properties that can be acquired that;
    1) Will have minimum 80% equity vs ARV…after the ALL IN investment ( unless the cash down is way out of balance )
    2) CASH FLOW TODAY enough to cover all costs PLUS RESERVES and return all cash out of pocket in a reasonable time period.
    3) You could sell TOMORROW if you needed to and not lose any money
    4) Dont include rosey hopes of appreciation to cover negative equity 

Al last ALL… of the current wholesale deals are just trashy retail deals. And most of the value in the opportunities has been scaled off by all of the other players.

Ok I’m gambling on the other side…. I have an ever growing war chest.

I “ could” buy a nicer white collar 3/2/2 for cash with my Roth now…. But I’m waiting… 

There’s nothing to gain right now and a lot to lose. ( other than heartburn hoping that appreciation makes a straight up GAMBLE look like an investment)

But ..OK….”IF”…. The markets regain sanity… I will be able to two properties to rehab with cash.. and have cash reserves… and equity…and cash flow.

Possibly from the people who bought from the snake oil guy.

I don’t mean to sound rude…. But even the REIAs… are DROWNING in snake oil.