Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Local Real Estate Networking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tsedey B.
  • Attorney
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Puerto Rico’s Abandoned Properties

Tsedey B.
  • Attorney
  • New York, NY
Posted Apr 25 2021, 16:04

Does anyone have any information on how to contact owners of abandoned properties in Puerto Rico? Or contact the government agencies that would have information in connection with these properties? I understand that there are issues with inheritance laws and unpaid property taxes for many of these properties but surely there is a way to figure out this mess and get these properties sold and utilized. Please let me know if you have any information.

User Stats

Votes
Kathryn Morea
  • Developer
Votes |
  • Developer
Replied Apr 26 2021, 12:23

@Tsedey B. - Are you spending some time in Puerto Rico? I live in the San Juan area and agree there are a ton of abandoned properties all over the island.  The municipalities here began a new program in November 2020 to eminent domain blighted/abandoned properties and sell them.  There is a court process they go through which does take some time (6 months).  It just started, and there's a lot of properties !  I'm involved in the program restoring some of these properties once they have gone through the process.  I am still learning more about it and will have more answers over the next couple weeks/months.  The properties I am seeing have been abandoned 10 years or more, but many still have good structure.   As for other properties, you can use websites showing tax records here https://www.crimpr.net/ and perhaps use skip tracing services like TLO to find owners.  (I haven't done this personally).  Like you, I see the opportunity here. 

User Stats

Votes
Tsedey B.
  • Attorney
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • New York, NY
Replied Apr 26 2021, 14:26

@Kathryn Morea Thank you so much for this information! That is great news. Yes, I’m in the area and scoping out properties which has gotten insanely expensive recently. What is the name of the program that you are involved in? Would like to be part of this program as well if possible.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kathryn Morea
  • Developer
Votes |
  • Developer
Replied Apr 26 2021, 17:39

@Tsedey B.  Yes, it has gotten more expensive, especially in the tourist areas like Old San Juan/Condado/Rincon.  Buying outside of those hotspots is not so expensive, but yes, prices have increased since the lows right after the hurricane.  Reach out to @Zachary Postil, he can get you the NDA and a list of available properties that have already started the muni eminent domain process.

User Stats

Votes
Tsedey B.
  • Attorney
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • New York, NY
Replied Apr 27 2021, 14:25

@Kathryn Morea Awesome! I was looking for up and coming neighborhoods (near La Placita). I really appreciate you sharing this information!

User Stats

Votes
Aaron T.
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Aguada, PR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Aguada, PR
Replied May 15 2021, 11:41

The CRIM is a good place to start, but be prepared to wait in line or not get good customer service. The biggest problem with abandoned properties are the heir laws. These properties are tied up in the families disagreements, families move away, kids have kids, so it quickly becomes a mess. 

@Kathryn Morea I would like to hear more about the recent changes. I have some areas I am working that I could find some benefit. 

User Stats

Votes
Kathryn Morea
  • Developer
Votes |
  • Developer
Replied May 18 2021, 10:21

@Aaron T.  

Hi Aaron - you can get online info here https://www.crimpr.net/ to look up some info.  I also use landglide app on my phone for property info.  The inheritance laws have made many abandoned properties, but those are now being identified as blighted properties and can go thru the eminent domain process to be sold and rehabbed.  We have been starting the process to get these houses rehabbed but the program is not implemented in every municipality yet and it takes time to go thru the courts.    These are in local markets, not so much in tourist areas.  I find it's better to connect with the deal, then see if it works and see if you like the area, rather than find the property and try to make that particular property into a deal.   I hope that helps.

User Stats

Votes
Meli NA
Votes |
Quote from @Kathryn Morea:

@Tsedey B. - Are you spending some time in Puerto Rico? I live in the San Juan area and agree there are a ton of abandoned properties all over the island.  The municipalities here began a new program in November 2020 to eminent domain blighted/abandoned properties and sell them.  There is a court process they go through which does take some time (6 months).  It just started, and there's a lot of properties !  I'm involved in the program restoring some of these properties once they have gone through the process.  I am still learning more about it and will have more answers over the next couple weeks/months.  The properties I am seeing have been abandoned 10 years or more, but many still have good structure.   As for other properties, you can use websites showing tax records here https://www.crimpr.net/ and perhaps use skip tracing services like TLO to find owners.  (I haven't done this personally).  Like you, I see the opportunity here. 

Hi! I'm wondering about destroyed property. My family has a home in Joyuda that was pretty much destroyed during hurricane Maria and no one rebuilt. There's a fence around the property now due to danger of collapse. I want to find out how I can purchase the land back so I may rebuild the house. My grandfather is dead and my great aunts, that the property was supposed to go to, are in their nursing homes now with dementia and it seems no one (their kids) is interested (or they may just not have the funds) in restoring it. It's my childhood home. I want to preserve it and retire there when I'm ready. 

User Stats

Votes
Kathryn Morea
  • Developer
Votes |
  • Developer
Replied Jul 6 2024, 07:53

I think you need to contact an attorney on the island who specializes in inheritance / herencia laws.  Cool project for you.  Good luck.