Keep first rental or sell and start BRRRing sooner?

Keep first rental or sell and start BRRRing sooner?

Rental Property Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 10 votes

Hi, all! Hoping to get some input from people who are wiser than I am! I currently own one investment property, which was just a home where I used to live that turned into a furnished rental when I got married and moved to another state. Not a BRRRR property. Cash flow is good for now and it's in a growing area where property values have grown exponentially the past few years, but I don't plan on returning to that area and have not had good, consistent property management in place since it's furnished, so it's been a little hard to manage from a distance (though not terrible, still definitely doable).

I am trying to decide what is better worth my investment. Keep the property since I already have it, cash flow is decent, and property value is rising well? Or sell it and place the returned money (roughly 40k right now after realtor commission, etc. is paid - and that is a 25k profit from what I put into the house) into a BRRRR to get that started now?

It doesn't sound like refinancing would be my best option since I've only had the house for 1.5 years. After closing costs and only getting 70-80% on the refinance, I just don't think it would further my goals at this point. I am open to this option or another option if it would potentially be worth it. If this were the case, though, I would probably convert my house to more of a standard long-term rental and go through the process of getting rid of furniture, etc. (note: this would reduce cash flow).

I very much want to start BRRRRing. It sounds like if I sell this property, I would have a good amount to invest in my first BRRRR property (with less need for other financing), which would ultimately turn into more properties and...well, you guys know the rest.

But what are your thoughts? Get rid of that house and put the money into BRRRR so I can get that movement started now instead of waiting until I get more funds or can find financing? Or do you have other opinions?

Thank you in advance!!

Sorry for the long post!

0Reply
13 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 874 posts · 355 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Anjoli Elizabeth Rowe:

    Hi, all! Hoping to get some input from people who are wiser than I am! I currently own one investment property, which was just a home where I used to live that turned into a furnished rental when I got married and moved to another state. Not a BRRRR property. Cash flow is good for now and it's in a growing area where property values have grown exponentially the past few years, but I don't plan on returning to that area and have not had good, consistent property management in place since it's furnished, so it's been a little hard to manage from a distance (though not terrible, still definitely doable).

    I am trying to decide what is better worth my investment. Keep the property since I already have it, cash flow is decent, and property value is rising well? Or sell it and place the returned money (roughly 40k right now after realtor commission, etc. is paid - and that is a 25k profit from what I put into the house) into a BRRRR to get that started now?

    It doesn't sound like refinancing would be my best option since I've only had the house for 1.5 years. After closing costs and only getting 70-80% on the refinance, I just don't think it would further my goals at this point. I am open to this option or another option if it would potentially be worth it. If this were the case, though, I would probably convert my house to more of a standard long-term rental and go through the process of getting rid of furniture, etc. (note: this would reduce cash flow).

    I very much want to start BRRRRing. It sounds like if I sell this property, I would have a good amount to invest in my first BRRRR property (with less need for other financing), which would ultimately turn into more properties and...well, you guys know the rest.

    But what are your thoughts? Get rid of that house and put the money into BRRRR so I can get that movement started now instead of waiting until I get more funds or can find financing? Or do you have other opinions?

    Thank you in advance!!

    Sorry for the long post!

     Hi, Anjoli if you could provide more numbers to give an educated input on potential scenarios... With the info, you provided its hard to give you feedback.

    Purchase price$

    Down payment$

    Cash added$

    Current market price$

    Current loan balance$

    Current Rate$

    Monthly mortgage payment$

    Monthly average rental$

    Monthly long term rent potential$

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Guifre Mora 

    Thank you! I wasn't sure how much information to provide initially. I appreciate you taking the time to assist and to provide this list of information to include.

    Purchase price: 249,900

    Down payment: 7,500

    Additional closing costs: 4,887

    Additional cash for improvements: ~1,000

    Current market value: 298,000 (this is Zillow estimate, haven't discussed with my realtor yet)

    Current loan balance: 235,227

    Current loan interest rate: 5.0%

    Monthly mortgage payment: 1,574

    Monthly average total costs (with utilities included as it is a furnished short-term rental): ~1900

    Monthly average rental income: 2241 (averaged over past six months, has ranged from 1423 to 2646)

    Monthly long-term rental potential (assuming no utilities or furniture): 1500-1600 (pretty much just the mortgage)

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Guifre Mora

    I should have mentioned in my previous reply that cash flow has improved over past few months. Last year, I had friends of friends staying in the place much of the time, and I was newer to renting out, so the price was lower for them, but they were also there for a longer term, so income was more consistent at the start of the year. It's been in the 2400-2600 the past few months since I started renting by room. But they are still short-term tenants, I do get a good bit of gap time, and I expect the income to continue fluctuating month to month because of that. Even though it's been great for a few months, I just looked now and kind of projected out, and it looked like next month I'm only projected around 2000. So cash flow is not consistent and probably not fantastic.

    Also for reference: I haven't included money coming out for expenses (CapEx) in my cash flow reports. I'm still learning, and so those are changes that I made for this year. But to give you an idea, last year, I profited $3,332 after all expenses. And I already have to replace a fence this year, which will cost around $1000.

  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 874 posts · 355 votes
    6y

    Thanks ... 

    First of all, don't trust Zillow. Use other online RE websites for more accurate estimates.

    Second, you just earned 40K s in 1.5 years ... what will it be in 10, 20, 30 years? 

    Could 40k now give you more in another market? maybe, maybe not. It has a risk. 

    You already know the property the market, you are successfully short renting it and cash flow.

    So with your numbers you cash flow an average of 600 a month. Pay this extra every month and you will pay it off in 12.5 years. every other month and payoff in 16.25 years.

  • Real Estate Agent · Mukilteo, WA · Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 148 votes
    6y

    @Anjoli Elizabeth Rowe

    I think your best option is to hold and continue to rent it out. Sounds like you have decent cash flow and will continue to gain equity as time goes.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.