Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Gallagher
Pro Member
Votes |
Rookie BRRR in Maine

Kevin Gallagher
Pro Member
Posted

I am undercontract on a 1910 house in a small town. There is a great rental market ($1200 for 2/1 apartments) but house prices are still pretty low. The house does not need much to have it rentable but does need serious upgrades to be a top property in the area. Is it worth it to do a complete gut job and basically make it new or should I patch it up and get it "good enough" to rent. Purchase price is 60k, patch up reno is 12-15k, full gut would run near 60k. ARV on the patch job is 175k pretty much either way. Could maybe get an extra 15k after the full rehab. I am a GC so I have some control on the rehab budget if that makes a difference in the calculation.

With this being a buy and hold I am tempted to go in and do the full gut and fix everything up to current standards even though it's not required. Is the payoff on decreased maintenance/standardization of units worth the upfront cost. I am having a hard time with the math to figure it out.

thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied

@Kevin Gallagher

there are a couple things overlapping here

first, with a BRRRR, one of the goals is to boost the ARV as much as you can so that you get reimbursed / paid back on the refi. so, whatever the comps that you need to target are - you go for those

in terms of getting desired rents, certainly finishes will come into play a little bit

and then of course you want a safe, high quality rental

one thing to note that is not often pointed out is that, with a BRRRR, the higher you boost the ARV, the higher your mortgage payment is going to be and the lower your cash flow

so a few things to consider here

hope this helps

User Stats

Votes
Replied

The classic renovation question:

Where do you start and where do you stop?

All renovations follow a law of diminishing returns curve.  Every additional dollar spent yields less return than the previous dollar.

That stopping point is also market specific, and class specific. 

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.