Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Damein White
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cleveland Ohio
Votes |
User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
Kevin Sobilo#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied

@Damein White, I don't look at this as a simple obvious question.

1. If you have an old furnace with existing duct-work then likely a 1 for 1 replacement of the furnace makes the most sense.

2. A mini-split shines because you can retrofit a house without duct-work without doing any real demo.

3. If you didn't have A/C before and would not be adding it with a furnace replacement then the mini-split might get you more rent and increase the home value a little.

4. Also, you don't specify the fuel source of the furnace. That could make a difference because if you're in a heating climate with a gas furnace that could be cheaper to heat with than an electric mini-split as they become less efficient at very low temps.

5. For BRRRR, you are holding the property so the home value isn't the only goal. You will need to maintain these systems and have them satisfy good tenants. So, keep in mind what a good tenant expects in your area.

For example, if you have an existing GAS furnace and central air conditioning already a simple replacement of the gas furnace gets people what is likely to be an economical heat source while also providing a/c which many rentals don't have. So, that would be a win all around. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@Damein White

Should I go for a walk today or run today?

Well answer it depends. Location plays a big part in it.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jack Krusinski
Agent
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

Hi Damein. I would say it all depends on the difference in HVAC quote. Does it have a boiler already, and you are considering putting in a mini split and keeping the boiler? Or what is the situation/current set up? 

21 Hill Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Damein White
  • Cleveland Ohio
Votes |
  • Cleveland Ohio
Replied
No boiler but it a bottom unit so not hard to do boiler but in also want AC for this hot summer 
Quote from @Jack Krusinski:

Hi Damein. I would say it all depends on the difference in HVAC quote. Does it have a boiler already, and you are considering putting in a mini split and keeping the boiler? Or what is the situation/current set up?