Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ryan G.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
BRRRR in Memphis from long distance.

Ryan G.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted

First post on BP, hi all.

I'm engaging Memphis agents so I can attempt a first BRRRR. This will be a long distance BRRRR (I'm located in California).

I've got 8 turn-key SFRs but now want the money to work harder.

Do out of state BRRRR investors have tips on getting started and/or pitfalls to avoid?

Memphis investors, is it realistic to expect deals where I can buy a SFH for $100,000, spend $40,000 on renovations, and then have it appraised for $170,000+? Trying to start small, learn the process, then do a few of these a year if it's successful.

User Stats

Votes
Nader Shariff
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Detroit, MI
Replied

Hey there, you should Speak to @Joseph Bui. He has done quite a few in Memphis and has done a few in Detroit with me. He should be able to help answers your questions about Memphis. 

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Bui
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Midwest
Votes |
  • Midwest
Replied
Quote from @Nader Shariff:

Hey there, you should Speak to @Joseph Bui. He has done quite a few in Memphis and has done a few in Detroit with me. He should be able to help answers your questions about Memphis. 

Hey Ryan, happy to connect and share my experience with Memphis. 
Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

Those returns sound reasonable. I know you can achieve these numbers in Columbus, Ohio. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied

@Ryan G. you should speak with @Chris Clothier with REI Nation. They've done thousands of turnkeys in Memphis and elsewhere.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Ray
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied
Quote from @Ryan G.:

I'm engaging Memphis agents so I can attempt a first BRRRR. This will be a long distance BRRRR (I'm located in California).

Do out of state BRRRR investors have tips on getting started and/or pitfalls to avoid?

Memphis investors, is it realistic to expect deals where I can buy a SFH for $100,000, spend $40,000 on renovations, and then have it appraised for $170,000+? Trying to start small, learn the process, then do a few of these a year if it's successful.

Hey Ryan! Welcome to BiggerPockets & congrats on checking into new markets! Memphis TN is a great place to invest & I personally have a deal under contract right now with a $175K ARV, $25K in Rehab & the purchase price is $107K. I am constantly helping out-of-state investors close deals that look like this as well! Please feel free to reach out and I would love to help you expand your portfolio! Talk soon!

Jordan Ray - eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I am in Memphis. I would be glad to connect and share insight about the market. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Clothier
Professional Services
Pro Member
#4 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • memphis, TN
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • memphis, TN
Replied
Quote from @Ryan G.:

Love your post and congrats on the 8 doors already. I'm not sure you are going to be able to find a property for $100,000 to sell to an end-user at $170,000 with $40,000k in work from afar. I think that most of the deals that pencil this way are going to be fought over by the local investors. Connect with Dean Harris here on BP. I can't tag him but I think he is an agent at Crestcore. He talks on BP quite often about the BRRRR deals he does in Memphis. He may be a much better resource on the possibility of hitting these numbers.

REI Nation, LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jake Baker
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied

@Ryan G.

Those numbers sound reasonable. 40k rehab may be a little low for most projects. We do 20 Flips/BRRRRs per year in Jacksonville FL and we use a hybrid approach. It is very hard to "perfect BRRRR" here with consistency or anywhere for that matter with today's rate and insurance costs. Of those 20 projects, we BRRRR 8-10 per year, and the flips supplement the money left in the BRRRRs.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hi @Ryan G.,

I currently own 5 SFHs in Memphis and just completed my first BRRRR there. Like you, I wanted a better return on my money which is why I am moving towards BRRRRs going forward.

For my BRRRR property I purchased it for $68K and spent $20K in rehab. It appraised for $120K, and rented for $1095 a month. At 70% LTV this left 10K in the deal and achieved a 14% CoC. This was in a C+ area of 38128.

I think the numbers you mentioned are doable. I recommend getting a scope of work from your PM while you're still under contract so you have an accurate estimate of what your rehab costs will be. 

User Stats

Votes
James Wachob
Property Manager
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Memphis, TN
Replied

Memphis holds a lot of GREAT opportunities! I'd like to be your contact for anything REI related in Memphis, TN.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Derobertis
Pro Member
  • Altadena, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Altadena, CA
Replied
Quote from @Scott Bowen:

Hi @Ryan G.,

I currently own 5 SFHs in Memphis and just completed my first BRRRR there. Like you, I wanted a better return on my money which is why I am moving towards BRRRRs going forward.

For my BRRRR property I purchased it for $68K and spent $20K in rehab. It appraised for $120K, and rented for $1095 a month. At 70% LTV this left 10K in the deal and achieved a 14% CoC. This was in a C+ area of 38128.

I think the numbers you mentioned are doable. I recommend getting a scope of work from your PM while you're still under contract so you have an accurate estimate of what your rehab costs will be. 

Hey @Scott Bowen,

That sounds like a great deal! I'd be very interested to hear more about how you found that deal and who you worked with for the rehab and PM etc... I've just closed on two turnkey deals in Memphis and so far it's been a good experience, so just weighing my next options and I think the BRRRR method will very likely increase my CoC return so just trying to build up some contacts should I decide to go that route as my next experiment. I'm out of state so hoping to connect with folks that have had good experiences.

If you're willing to share feel free to DM me!

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Dean Harris
Agent
#4 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied

@Joe Derobertis Im happy to talk BRRRR in Memphs, TN. I have completed over 40 of them here in Memphis myself and assisted countless other clients with the strategy

Talk soon

• Real Estate Agent TN (#00286759) and Mississippi (#s-40616)

CrestCore Realty Logo
NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Derobertis
Pro Member
  • Altadena, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Altadena, CA
Replied
Quote from @Dean Harris:

@Joe Derobertis Im happy to talk BRRRR in Memphs, TN. I have completed over 40 of them here in Memphis myself and assisted countless other clients with the strategy

Talk soon

@Dean Harris would be very interested in talking with you.  I've actually started some conversations with some folks from your team already, but would be happy to talk with you directly.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Clothier
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • memphis, TN
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • memphis, TN
Replied

@Joe Derobertis - Dean will be a great contact in Memphis for BRRRR. He is a poster here on BP who has talked about it the most, and for the longest as far as I can remember, so he will be a quality contact for helping build your team. Y

@Scott Bowen - I've read some of your other posts, and I love how you dove straight into investing based on your own criteria and goals. How long have you owned your BRRRR in 38128, and has it panned out so far the way you expected? I would love to know your experience because buying at that price in Memphis in that area with such a small amount of work done has caused issues for others in the past. Best of luck as you go forward, and congrats on your success so far!

REI Nation, LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Tapley
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN.
Replied

You can still do BRRRR deals here. Some are incredibly simple and require little to no repairs. You can search my name and see some interesting examples from clients that are pretty cool.

User Stats

Votes
Dean Harris
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied
Quote from @Joe Derobertis:
Quote from @Dean Harris:

Talk soon

@Dean Harris would be very interested in talking with you.  I've actually started some conversations with some folks from your team already, but would be happy to talk with you directly.

@Joe Derobertis Anytime!! Happy to hop on a call!

• Real Estate Agent TN (#00286759) and Mississippi (#s-40616)

CrestCore Realty Logo