Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ryan G.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
BRRRR in Memphis from long distance.

Ryan G.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Apr 21 2024, 18:47

First post on BP, hi all.

I'm engaging Memphis agents so I can attempt a first BRRRR. This will be a long distance BRRRR (I'm located in California).

I've got 8 turn-key SFRs but now want the money to work harder.

Do out of state BRRRR investors have tips on getting started and/or pitfalls to avoid?

Memphis investors, is it realistic to expect deals where I can buy a SFH for $100,000, spend $40,000 on renovations, and then have it appraised for $170,000+? Trying to start small, learn the process, then do a few of these a year if it's successful.

User Stats

Votes
Nader Shariff
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Apr 21 2024, 21:36

Hey there, you should Speak to @Joseph Bui. He has done quite a few in Memphis and has done a few in Detroit with me. He should be able to help answers your questions about Memphis. 

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Bui
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Midwest
Votes |
  • Midwest
Replied Apr 21 2024, 22:40
Quote from @Nader Shariff:

Hey there, you should Speak to @Joseph Bui. He has done quite a few in Memphis and has done a few in Detroit with me. He should be able to help answers your questions about Memphis. 

Hey Ryan, happy to connect and share my experience with Memphis. 
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Apr 22 2024, 06:59

Those returns sound reasonable. I know you can achieve these numbers in Columbus, Ohio. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Apr 22 2024, 07:55

@Ryan G. you should speak with @Chris Clothier with REI Nation. They've done thousands of turnkeys in Memphis and elsewhere.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Ray
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Apr 22 2024, 12:01
Quote from @Ryan G.:

I'm engaging Memphis agents so I can attempt a first BRRRR. This will be a long distance BRRRR (I'm located in California).

Do out of state BRRRR investors have tips on getting started and/or pitfalls to avoid?

Memphis investors, is it realistic to expect deals where I can buy a SFH for $100,000, spend $40,000 on renovations, and then have it appraised for $170,000+? Trying to start small, learn the process, then do a few of these a year if it's successful.

Hey Ryan! Welcome to BiggerPockets & congrats on checking into new markets! Memphis TN is a great place to invest & I personally have a deal under contract right now with a $175K ARV, $25K in Rehab & the purchase price is $107K. I am constantly helping out-of-state investors close deals that look like this as well! Please feel free to reach out and I would love to help you expand your portfolio! Talk soon!

eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 26 2024, 05:29

I am in Memphis. I would be glad to connect and share insight about the market. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Clothier
Pro Member
#4 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • memphis, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
  • memphis, TN
Replied May 5 2024, 09:38
Quote from @Ryan G.:

Love your post and congrats on the 8 doors already. I'm not sure you are going to be able to find a property for $100,000 to sell to an end-user at $170,000 with $40,000k in work from afar. I think that most of the deals that pencil this way are going to be fought over by the local investors. Connect with Dean Harris here on BP. I can't tag him but I think he is an agent at Crestcore. He talks on BP quite often about the BRRRR deals he does in Memphis. He may be a much better resource on the possibility of hitting these numbers.

REI Nation, LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jake Baker
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied May 13 2024, 10:40

@Ryan G.

Those numbers sound reasonable. 40k rehab may be a little low for most projects. We do 20 Flips/BRRRRs per year in Jacksonville FL and we use a hybrid approach. It is very hard to "perfect BRRRR" here with consistency or anywhere for that matter with today's rate and insurance costs. Of those 20 projects, we BRRRR 8-10 per year, and the flips supplement the money left in the BRRRRs.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 23 2024, 08:21

Hi @Ryan G.,

I currently own 5 SFHs in Memphis and just completed my first BRRRR there. Like you, I wanted a better return on my money which is why I am moving towards BRRRRs going forward.

For my BRRRR property I purchased it for $68K and spent $20K in rehab. It appraised for $120K, and rented for $1095 a month. At 70% LTV this left 10K in the deal and achieved a 14% CoC. This was in a C+ area of 38128.

I think the numbers you mentioned are doable. I recommend getting a scope of work from your PM while you're still under contract so you have an accurate estimate of what your rehab costs will be. 

User Stats

Votes
James Wachob
Property Manager
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Jun 24 2024, 06:15

Memphis holds a lot of GREAT opportunities! I'd like to be your contact for anything REI related in Memphis, TN.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Derobertis#3 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Altadena, CA
Votes |
Joe Derobertis#3 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Altadena, CA
Replied Aug 24 2024, 13:23
Quote from @Scott Bowen:

Hi @Ryan G.,

I currently own 5 SFHs in Memphis and just completed my first BRRRR there. Like you, I wanted a better return on my money which is why I am moving towards BRRRRs going forward.

For my BRRRR property I purchased it for $68K and spent $20K in rehab. It appraised for $120K, and rented for $1095 a month. At 70% LTV this left 10K in the deal and achieved a 14% CoC. This was in a C+ area of 38128.

I think the numbers you mentioned are doable. I recommend getting a scope of work from your PM while you're still under contract so you have an accurate estimate of what your rehab costs will be. 

Hey @Scott Bowen,

That sounds like a great deal! I'd be very interested to hear more about how you found that deal and who you worked with for the rehab and PM etc... I've just closed on two turnkey deals in Memphis and so far it's been a good experience, so just weighing my next options and I think the BRRRR method will very likely increase my CoC return so just trying to build up some contacts should I decide to go that route as my next experiment. I'm out of state so hoping to connect with folks that have had good experiences.

If you're willing to share feel free to DM me!

Thanks!