Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Cole Agner
Votes |
First Investment - Best Value Add Opportunities?

Cole Agner
Posted Apr 7 2024, 09:32

Hi everybody,

A few months ago, I just purchased my first property (yay me), which I'm working to house-hack at the moment. One thing I wanted to do was to get some advice on opportunities that would add the most value to the home as I'll be looking to refinance after making a few updates.

Since I'm a little unfamiliar with what would give me the most "bang for my buck", I figured it'd be worth it to share my Zillow rental post, give my thoughts to you guys, and see what you all come up with since I'm a day one newbie here...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/698-Bridal-Ave-Jacksonville-FL-32205/316819570_zpid/?view=public
It's a 3 bed 2 bath house, almost 100 years old, and the seller made a bunch of updates to the house (fixed roofing, foundation, re-ran electrical wiring, redid flooring, and interior paint) prior to me moving in.

So far, I've added a dishwasher to the place, and here are my thoughts as far as other "value adds" go, but I don't want to invest the money if you guys and gals don't think there's much opportunity for a return on it... I've got about $10k I'm willing to spend, and here's what I've come up with as far as updates go:

- Add shelving for grocery storage - there's very little today

- Rehab the front porch (you can feel the plywood sink in places as you walk over it)

- Repaint the outside of the house (paint is peeling)

- Add a fence for the back yard

- Add a back door (there's only one entrance/exit to the house)
- Pave the driveway on both sides of the tree out front
- Add exterior lights to the side and back of house

- Update kitchen counters (granite?) & new stove

Again, I'm sure some of you are screaming at your computer at this point, but I'm open to criticism and what you think would be the best value adds.

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 7 2024, 11:45

Hi Cole,

Congratulations on the purchase! I would start with the comparables in the area. I presume you are trying to "add value" in terms of increasing cash flow, not in terms of increasing the value of the home (for you to later cash out refinance)?

The first question would be if there is value to be added (as it seems like your property is already updated and you've given good amenities) - are there comparables that are collecting higher rent and if so what are they doing differently? I think there is a diminishing marginal benefit to upgrades you can do increase cash flow here given most things in your home is upgraded. If you think you can rent this out as a short term rental, then that is another story and I think you're 10k could be well spent to increase cash flow.

User Stats

Votes
Ken Holifield
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Apr 8 2024, 08:06

For $750/mo, this already looks great!  Don't overdo it.  You would be better off using that money toward acquiring another property.  Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Baker
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Apr 8 2024, 10:12

@Cole Agner

Congrats on the purchase! I am also in the Jax market. 

Bathrooms and Kitchen remodeling will add the most value for an appraisal. Perhaps you could paint the kitchen cabinets and add granite. 

User Stats

Votes
Alana Reynolds
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Jacksonville Florida
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Jacksonville Florida
Replied Apr 16 2024, 12:42

Talk to a local appraiser and ask what upgrades add the most value in your zip code.  

User Stats

Votes
Vincent Keele
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Washington State
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Washington State
Replied Jun 17 2024, 16:58

Congratulations Cole!!!!

User Stats

Votes
Griffin Malcolm
  • Schenectady, NY
Votes |
  • Schenectady, NY
Replied Jun 18 2024, 05:46

It looks really nice already. They're already taken care of the major things, so I think your money would be better spent on property #2. Black cabinet hardware and changing to a black sink to match the other appliances would look nice though and wouldn't cost much

User Stats

Votes
Mark Fries
  • Contractor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Jun 21 2024, 17:25

I think all your ideas sound great. They don't cost a lot of money and they add tremendous value!