re: How to pay down mortgage quicker?

re: How to pay down mortgage quicker?

Real Estate Agent · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2009 · 20 posts · 24 votes

Ok so I know most everybody has heard about making biweekly mortgage payments in order to pay your mortgage down faster. Instead of making 12 monthly payments a year you make 26 half payments or 1 extra monthly payment per year. Over time, this additional annual payment can subtract approximately 7 years off the life of a typical 30 year mortgage. The challenge, of course, is sticking to the schedule and tracking your savings so you know how much you are reallocating toward your financial objectives that would have otherwise gone to your lender.

But how could something like this work with a BRRRR? I understand that the property is being rented so if the tenant is paying the mortgage (ideally) then why go to extra trouble to pay down the mortgage faster? Didn't that extra trouble actually build your equity faster though? If you can reduce the life of your 30 year by %20+ then aren't you able to buy your next property %20 faster to keep the BRRRR going and build the portfolio quicker?

With these thoughts and others in mind - how would you go about paying more on your mortgage so you can pay it down faster so you can buy your next house faster?

1Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew PostellPro Member
Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
3y

@David Wilhite paying down your mortgage goes AGAINST just about every principle of real estate that there is.  Meaning, if I gave you $50,000 right now - would you pay down your mortgage or go acquire another property?  The theory is that your TENANT is paying down your mortgage.  The mortgage interest is tax deductible.  The less equity you have in a property the less that someone can take it from you in a lawsuit. I am personally millions of dollars in debt...but the only way for me to own millions of dollars of real estate is by NOT paying down my tax deductible debt and continue to purchase more real estate.  

I hope all of this makes sense.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Actually, I wouldn't Cash is king and you need all you can get to deploy for your next deal. Take a look at your tax return...either your Schedule C or your 1120-S...whatever you file. Notice that you are expensing the interest. Let's assume you have an 8.5% interest rate and your in a 25% tax bracket. Your effective rate (ER) = rate ( 1 - tax bracket) or ER = 8.5% ( 1 - 25%) = 8.5% ( 75% ) = 6.375%...after taking into account the interest expense you get on taxes. Would you borrow money for your down payment on your next deal at 6.375%? If not, then by all means pay down the current mortgage. If you would, then don't pay down the mortgage early, keep your powder dry, and use that money to grab more appreciating real estate. Good luck you you!

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    @David Wilhite paying down your mortgage goes AGAINST just about every principle of real estate that there is.  Meaning, if I gave you $50,000 right now - would you pay down your mortgage or go acquire another property?  The theory is that your TENANT is paying down your mortgage.  The mortgage interest is tax deductible.  The less equity you have in a property the less that someone can take it from you in a lawsuit. I am personally millions of dollars in debt...but the only way for me to own millions of dollars of real estate is by NOT paying down my tax deductible debt and continue to purchase more real estate.  

    I hope all of this makes sense.

  • Real Estate Agent · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2009 · 20 posts · 24 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Postell:

    @David Wilhite paying down your mortgage goes AGAINST just about every principle of real estate that there is.  Meaning, if I gave you $50,000 right now - would you pay down your mortgage or go acquire another property?  The theory is that your TENANT is paying down your mortgage.  The mortgage interest is tax deductible.  The less equity you have in a property the less that someone can take it from you in a lawsuit. I am personally millions of dollars in debt...but the only way for me to own millions of dollars of real estate is by NOT paying down my tax deductible debt and continue to purchase more real estate.  

    I hope all of this makes sense.

     ...i understand we love to hear ourselves talk but i think you're missing my point. actually you may be missing several of them.

    first and foremost you're not gonna give me $50,000.

    according to the amortization table, you ARE going to pay off that loan according to schedule or else. whether it comes out of your pocket or your tenant's is immaterial to your outstanding loan balance.

    the portion of your mortgage payment that is interest is tax deductible. your write offs decrease every month as the principle portion gradually decreases for the life of the loan. people either move or refinance every 7 years so the write offs can reset on a new loan... but how's that going for the folks moving from a %3 loan to a %7+ loan today? could've sworn i saw mortgage applications go off a cliff recently.

    i'm talking about paying your mortgage down faster so you can buy your next property faster - as in BRRRR investors who desire to multiply their portfolio. or maybe it's for someone nearing retirement age and want their primary residence to be free and clear in their golden years. it depends on the situation...

    if you have millions of dollars in real estate then i imagine you have rock solid tax planning, insurance, and entity structures that shield you from liability but hey they must do things different in Texas.

    whether any of this makes sense to you is inconsequential.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    I don't refinance my properties.  If you pay down the mortgage faster, you do save on interest payments, but I haven't done the math to see how much you save as interest is also tax deductible.  If you keep maxing out your mortgages, you are pulling money out, but if you sell the property, you have nothing to show for it (ie only money you get back is likely your down payment).  Once the mortgage is paid off, your cash flow increases.

    There is also a limit as to how much the bank will lend you, so if you keep pulling your money out of the rentals, which also costs $, you may reach your borrowing limit.

    Take home message is do what works best for you.

  • Member since 2023 · 327 posts · 63 votes
    2y
    Quote from @David Wilhite:
    Quote from @Andrew Postell:

    @David Wilhite paying down your mortgage goes AGAINST just about every principle of real estate that there is.  Meaning, if I gave you $50,000 right now - would you pay down your mortgage or go acquire another property?  The theory is that your TENANT is paying down your mortgage.  The mortgage interest is tax deductible.  The less equity you have in a property the less that someone can take it from you in a lawsuit. I am personally millions of dollars in debt...but the only way for me to own millions of dollars of real estate is by NOT paying down my tax deductible debt and continue to purchase more real estate.  

    I hope all of this makes sense.

     ...i understand we love to hear ourselves talk but i think you're missing my point. actually you may be missing several of them.

    first and foremost you're not gonna give me $50,000.

    according to the amortization table, you ARE going to pay off that loan according to schedule or else. whether it comes out of your pocket or your tenant's is immaterial to your outstanding loan balance.

    the portion of your mortgage payment that is interest is tax deductible. your write offs decrease every month as the principle portion gradually decreases for the life of the loan. people either move or refinance every 7 years so the write offs can reset on a new loan... but how's that going for the folks moving from a %3 loan to a %7+ loan today? could've sworn i saw mortgage applications go off a cliff recently.

    i'm talking about paying your mortgage down faster so you can buy your next property faster - as in BRRRR investors who desire to multiply their portfolio. or maybe it's for someone nearing retirement age and want their primary residence to be free and clear in their golden years. it depends on the situation...

    if you have millions of dollars in real estate then i imagine you have rock solid tax planning, insurance, and entity structures that shield you from liability but hey they must do things different in Texas.

    whether any of this makes sense to you is inconsequential.


     I want to better understand this strategy. Can you unpack this a little more. How can paying down your mortgage faster help you buy a new property faster?

  • Sam YinPro Member
    Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2021 · 583 posts · 738 votes
    2y

    @David Wilhite

    To buy real estate faster often requires more leverage. Paying down your principal faster is a bit counter intuitive to the REI growth phase. But only you can determine what is the best strategy.

    To your OP, fastest way I can think of is to pull a HELOC, and sink in ALL you earnings into the mortgage. Live off the HELOC, pay it off each month, and sink in ALL your remaining earning into the mortgage. You will likely be able to pays off you 30 year mortgage in well under 10 years. It takes discipline.

    The other way is to make an extra payment EVERY month. That will also reduce your mortgage timeline dramatically.

    Those two methods best work for those that treat REI as a hobby and still want to rely on their W2 as their main income. For those that are striving the to leave the W2 and want to live on passive income, it would be futile to try and pay off the mortgage early in the growth phase of REI .

    Since this is an REI forum, and your OP was with the intent to buy more properties faster, paying down the mortgage would be counter productive. Save that money, keep buying with leverage faster. If you BRRRR... would that not include refi??? Isn't that just prolonging the mortgage?

    In any case, this is just my 0.02. I known it may not be of any consequence to your opinions or anyone else's. Your strategy will always be the best for you.

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y

    @David Wilhite ahhh, you are correct sir.  I won't give you $50,000...but you will.  This is your money we are talking about.  Meaning, if you have a $200,000 mortgage and you choose to pay it down very $1,000 per month...over 5 years...that's $50,000.  That's your money.  So, would you rather have $50,000 in the bank....or $50,000 more in equity in your property?  To tap into my equity, I have to pay closing costs.  And what if things got really crazy and the housing market took a turn?  There have been instances in recent history where people could NOT refinance because of economic conditions. When you do a "cash out refinance" you have to have a certain amount of equity in the property to make that work.  What if you came across a deal within that first year of owning where you only needed $10,000 to execute on it?  You might not be able to do a cash out loan in the first year even if you do pay down the mortgage.  

    You can do what you want, of course!  But your post was about buying more properties as quickly as possible.  Having cash available to acquire more income producing assets is how most of us operate.   

    @Anthony Freeman hopefully some of that makes sense. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2009 · 20 posts · 24 votes
    2y

    let me try it a little slower for the fast thinkers:

    take out loan.

    buy house.

    rehab house.

    get tenant.

    build equity.

    cash out refi.

    repeat the process.

    Now, I don't know how long this process takes you. Different investors are going to have different timeframes. What I do know is that the cash out refinance comes after you build equity. 

    ALL I AM SAYING IS TO DO THE SAME THING FASTER!!!

    Did you guys get that? F. A. S. T. E. R. Faster.

    From what I think I understand about Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat is that you are taking out a loan. Not all investors even do loans so not all investors do BRRRR. Thank you for stating the obvious. For the rest who are following along with the book - they are taking out mortgages on each and every property. The whole leverage thing you guys keep going on about.

    The house is not the most expensive thing, the mortgage is. Ring a bell anyone? As such, on a typical 30-year the monthly payment basically amounts to the relative minimum payment on a credit card: it is the schedule that will have you paying the most interest for the longest period of time. 

    Understandably, some would counter this by basically saying "who cares? as long as my property is cash flowing I don't care what the mortgage is! I'll keep paying that mortgage forever as long as the house is paying me!!!!" 

    And I get it. Get paid forever. Who doesn't want that?

    But you're also saying that you'll pay the maximum amount of mortgage interest over the life of all your loans for the rest of your life... as long as you're cashflowing positive.

    Let's repeat that slower:

    Pay.

    Maximum.

    Interest.

    Rest.

    Of.

    Life.

    This is not about rate. This is about interest volume and the fact that by the time that house is paid off (never for most of us it seems) you'd have paid "X" amount in interest costs far, far, far above the value of the underlying asset.

    You know what I am talking about? Of course you do.

    My revolutionary idea is to pay the mortgage faster... so as to pay less interest... so as to effectively redirect money I would be giving TO THE LENDER anyways... and using it to buy more properties instead.

    It. Is. Math. Yawl are missing my point.

    You can keep the loan for your entire life if you want. But why wouldn't you want to pay it faster or asked another way - why would you want to give all that interest money to the lender that you could otherwise be using to buy more properties?

    And even for the "lending professionals" in the room: why wouldn't you want people paying off mortgages quicker if they were gonna keep coming back to you to refi every time FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES?

    But hey, everybody has their own $0.02 including me. I'm just following the math and it makes sense to me: less money in lender pocket = more money in mine.

    Yes @Andrew Postell you can craft all manner of creative arrangements to bake equity into a property but I'm talking a straight a BRRRR situation as the book spells out. @Sam Yin is on the right track with the HELOC and I'll add to that the same idea can be done even with a checking & savings account. With discipline and/or the right tools...

    Pay loan faster. Pay less interest. Buy more house instead. The math is exponential over time - just like the interest we pay to the lender. Only difference is we're hopefully using that money to build our wealth and not the lender's.

    Doesn't seem so radical a thought to me.

  • Sam YinPro Member
    Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2021 · 583 posts · 738 votes
    2y
    Quote from @David Wilhite:

    let me try it a little slower for the fast thinkers:

    take out loan.

    buy house.

    rehab house.

    get tenant.

    build equity.

    cash out refi.

    repeat the process.

    Now, I don't know how long this process takes you. Different investors are going to have different timeframes. What I do know is that the cash out refinance comes after you build equity. 

    ALL I AM SAYING IS TO DO THE SAME THING FASTER!!!

    Did you guys get that? F. A. S. T. E. R. Faster.

    From what I think I understand about Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat is that you are taking out a loan. Not all investors even do loans so not all investors do BRRRR. Thank you for stating the obvious. For the rest who are following along with the book - they are taking out mortgages on each and every property. The whole leverage thing you guys keep going on about.

    The house is not the most expensive thing, the mortgage is. Ring a bell anyone? As such, on a typical 30-year the monthly payment basically amounts to the relative minimum payment on a credit card: it is the schedule that will have you paying the most interest for the longest period of time. 

    Understandably, some would counter this by basically saying "who cares? as long as my property is cash flowing I don't care what the mortgage is! I'll keep paying that mortgage forever as long as the house is paying me!!!!" 

    And I get it. Get paid forever. Who doesn't want that?

    But you're also saying that you'll pay the maximum amount of mortgage interest over the life of all your loans for the rest of your life... as long as you're cashflowing positive.

    Let's repeat that slower:

    Pay.

    Maximum.

    Interest.

    Rest.

    Of.

    Life.

    This is not about rate. This is about interest volume and the fact that by the time that house is paid off (never for most of us it seems) you'd have paid "X" amount in interest costs far, far, far above the value of the underlying asset.

    You know what I am talking about? Of course you do.

    My revolutionary idea is to pay the mortgage faster... so as to pay less interest... so as to effectively redirect money I would be giving TO THE LENDER anyways... and using it to buy more properties instead.

    It. Is. Math. Yawl are missing my point.

    You can keep the loan for your entire life if you want. But why wouldn't you want to pay it faster or asked another way - why would you want to give all that interest money to the lender that you could otherwise be using to buy more properties?

    And even for the "lending professionals" in the room: why wouldn't you want people paying off mortgages quicker if they were gonna keep coming back to you to refi every time FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES?

    But hey, everybody has their own $0.02 including me. I'm just following the math and it makes sense to me: less money in lender pocket = more money in mine.

    Yes @Andrew Postell you can craft all manner of creative arrangements to bake equity into a property but I'm talking a straight a BRRRR situation as the book spells out. @Sam Yin is on the right track with the HELOC and I'll add to that the same idea can be done even with a checking & savings account. With discipline and/or the right tools...

    Pay loan faster. Pay less interest. Buy more house instead. The math is exponential over time - just like the interest we pay to the lender. Only difference is we're hopefully using that money to build our wealth and not the lender's.

    Doesn't seem so radical a thought to me.

    I think that you are missing the point. There are a lot of facets to REI. A few that come into play here are depreciation, leverage, AND TRANSACTION COST. What you are describing is short sighted. Paying down the mortgage faster to build equity faster is just BUYING EQUITY. Why on earth would you do that if you do not have to. When the time comes to refi, you will have a transaction cost AND you have to leave equity on the table. You just lost your money TWICE. Not to mention all the opportunity costs of not saying that extra money towards other opportunities instead.

    But I digress. Based on the flow of this tread, it comes down more to a matter of opinion, strategy, and comprehensive understanding of REI and how to grow wealth faster. Everyone has their own tolerance level and option. If your strategy is working for you, keep at it. You will to to bed happy knowing you are hitting your personal goal at the speed you want.

    I will say that I agree with @Andrew Postell and his understanding of REI. it is the strategy I use to start from nothing. Your strategy can work, it just slow and inefficient when you take into context the full breadth of real estate.

  • Real Estate Agent · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2009 · 20 posts · 24 votes
    2y

    BRRRR.

    did I stutter?

    BRRRR.

    you guys are on BP so you've read the book, read the articles, blah blah blah.

    BRRRR.

    Of course there is a TRANSACTION COST every time you refi. are you gonna sit here and list out all the COSTS of REI? we'd be here all decade.

    because INTEREST is a pretty big cost that y'all are really downplaying in all your imminent wisdom.

    But I get it. You do you and I'll do me.,

    Which is how it was gonna be before gregariously answering my question with a barrage of extraneous irrelevance.

    BRRRR.

    One of those Rs is for refinance. A refinance is a mortgage loan. Stop adding more to the formula with all these exceptions and maybe this or if that happens or something else could happen.

    That's a whole lot of uncertainty but one thing for certain is that the loan is going to get paid. By somebody. Come hell or high water. This is an inescapable fact - why is this even a debate???

    I asked if systematically paying down a mortgage faster would accelerate a BRRRR strategy. The short answer is yes. Thanks for playing.

  • Member since 2023 · 327 posts · 63 votes
    2y
    Quote from @David Wilhite:

    let me try it a little slower for the fast thinkers:

    take out loan.

    buy house.

    rehab house.

    get tenant.

    build equity.

    cash out refi.

    repeat the process.

    Now, I don't know how long this process takes you. Different investors are going to have different timeframes. What I do know is that the cash out refinance comes after you build equity. 

    ALL I AM SAYING IS TO DO THE SAME THING FASTER!!!

    Did you guys get that? F. A. S. T. E. R. Faster.

    From what I think I understand about Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat is that you are taking out a loan. Not all investors even do loans so not all investors do BRRRR. Thank you for stating the obvious. For the rest who are following along with the book - they are taking out mortgages on each and every property. The whole leverage thing you guys keep going on about.

    The house is not the most expensive thing, the mortgage is. Ring a bell anyone? As such, on a typical 30-year the monthly payment basically amounts to the relative minimum payment on a credit card: it is the schedule that will have you paying the most interest for the longest period of time. 

    Understandably, some would counter this by basically saying "who cares? as long as my property is cash flowing I don't care what the mortgage is! I'll keep paying that mortgage forever as long as the house is paying me!!!!" 

    And I get it. Get paid forever. Who doesn't want that?

    But you're also saying that you'll pay the maximum amount of mortgage interest over the life of all your loans for the rest of your life... as long as you're cashflowing positive.

    Let's repeat that slower:

    Pay.

    Maximum.

    Interest.

    Rest.

    Of.

    Life.

    This is not about rate. This is about interest volume and the fact that by the time that house is paid off (never for most of us it seems) you'd have paid "X" amount in interest costs far, far, far above the value of the underlying asset.

    You know what I am talking about? Of course you do.

    My revolutionary idea is to pay the mortgage faster... so as to pay less interest... so as to effectively redirect money I would be giving TO THE LENDER anyways... and using it to buy more properties instead.

    It. Is. Math. Yawl are missing my point.

    You can keep the loan for your entire life if you want. But why wouldn't you want to pay it faster or asked another way - why would you want to give all that interest money to the lender that you could otherwise be using to buy more properties?

    And even for the "lending professionals" in the room: why wouldn't you want people paying off mortgages quicker if they were gonna keep coming back to you to refi every time FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES?

    But hey, everybody has their own $0.02 including me. I'm just following the math and it makes sense to me: less money in lender pocket = more money in mine.

    Yes @Andrew Postell you can craft all manner of creative arrangements to bake equity into a property but I'm talking a straight a BRRRR situation as the book spells out. @Sam Yin is on the right track with the HELOC and I'll add to that the same idea can be done even with a checking & savings account. With discipline and/or the right tools...

    Pay loan faster. Pay less interest. Buy more house instead. The math is exponential over time - just like the interest we pay to the lender. Only difference is we're hopefully using that money to build our wealth and not the lender's.

    Doesn't seem so radical a thought to me.

    I get where you are coming from
  • Investor · Cleveland, TN · Member since 2016 · 279 posts · 187 votes
    2y
    Quote from @David Wilhite:

    let me try it a little slower for the fast thinkers:

    take out loan.

    buy house.

    rehab house.

    get tenant.

    build equity.

    cash out refi.

    repeat the process.

    Now, I don't know how long this process takes you. Different investors are going to have different timeframes. What I do know is that the cash out refinance comes after you build equity. 

    @David Wilhite You're not listing BRRRR, and I think that is where the misunderstanding is coming from.
    BRRRR:
    Buy
    Rehab
    Rent
    Refinance
    Repeat
    That's BRRRR, period. Nothing about "build equity", you added that and that's where the misunderstanding seems to be. The correct process is that Rehab = equity. 

    To your OP, I believe you are conflating saving on interest for your primary dwelling vs buying investment property. Two vary different subjects, with differing opinions about each. 

    BRRRR is about forcing equity through rehab to get 100% of your funds back so that you are able to Repeat. There's no delay after the Rehab to "build equity", that has already been forced during the Rehab. 

    I hope that clarifies things a bit. Best to you!

  • Real Estate Agent · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2009 · 20 posts · 24 votes
    2y
    No @Richard Elvin that doesn't really clarify things at all. I think your own conflation and proficient use of non-sequiturs is actually doing much the opposite so kindly stop.

    Please point out ANYWHERE I said ANYTHING about listing a property.

    I said pay down mortgage and build equity. Now people are ready to fight me. I realize that is NOT the ONLY way to build equity.

    Many would bake that equity in by buying below market value for a property they can fix up in order to justify higher rents and a higher appraisal. There are several moving parts and obstacles with this approach - least of which are actually waiting around for someone who will take less money for their property, getting renovations completed on time and on budget, and praying for a good appraisal so you don't lose your shirt.

    Of course there is always risk involved but there is also a lot of finger crossing going on here. 

    But I'm not even sure a complete novice could confuse the interest deduction on a primary residence with the purchase of an additional investment property. Meth is not your friend.

    Which is easier: forcing speculative equity or tapping natural equity? 

    The answer is you can do both if you're building equity 3X faster and last I checked having options is better than having only one.

    Equity. Balance sheet. Net worth. Wealth. I'm not speaking in code.

    Lastly, you wrote it yourself that the refi comes after the rent - not the rehab. Why do you need to rent it for a while before your refi? To build equity. A circuitous method of proving my point but thank you all the same.


  • Investor · Cleveland, TN · Member since 2016 · 279 posts · 187 votes
    2y
    Quote from @David Wilhite:
    No @Richard Elvin that doesn't really clarify things at all. I think your own conflation and proficient use of non-sequiturs is actually doing much the opposite so kindly stop.

    Please point out ANYWHERE I said ANYTHING about listing a property.

    I said pay down mortgage and build equity. Now people are ready to fight me. I realize that is NOT the ONLY way to build equity.

    Many would bake that equity in by buying below market value for a property they can fix up in order to justify higher rents and a higher appraisal. There are several moving parts and obstacles with this approach - least of which are actually waiting around for someone who will take less money for their property, getting renovations completed on time and on budget, and praying for a good appraisal so you don't lose your shirt.

    Of course there is always risk involved but there is also a lot of finger crossing going on here. 

    But I'm not even sure a complete novice could confuse the interest deduction on a primary residence with the purchase of an additional investment property. Meth is not your friend.

    Which is easier: forcing speculative equity or tapping natural equity? 

    The answer is you can do both if you're building equity 3X faster and last I checked having options is better than having only one.

    Equity. Balance sheet. Net worth. Wealth. I'm not speaking in code.

    Lastly, you wrote it yourself that the refi comes after the rent - not the rehab. Why do you need to rent it for a while before your refi? To build equity. A circuitous method of proving my point but thank you all the same.


    You're still ignoring that you're adding to the brrrr, then attacking your straw man argument. 
    The fact that you don't wait until after you refi to list it for rent isn't because you're trying to "build equity" it's simply that I'm smart enough to list it for rent as soon as it's rent ready.
    Anyway, you clearly don't want anyone to get in the way of your opinion, so I'm not going to bother.
    Best to you!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.