What are you Top mistakes made on your second property

What are you Top mistakes made on your second property

Investor · Ct and Western Ma, South coast MA · Member since 2021 · 21 posts · 10 votes

Hey everyone

In the process of obtaining a second property

My first purchase was a duplex with a FHA 203k

It is not worth the refi due to the low interest and no cash out.

I am now looking to use a homestyle loan to purchase another house hack brrrr.

What are common mistakes made in purchasing your seconded property

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y

I overspent on my 2nd property and found I didn't love the location. I sold it sometime in 2020, I think, and I don't have any regrets. We learned a ton from it. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    I overspent on my 2nd property and found I didn't love the location. I sold it sometime in 2020, I think, and I don't have any regrets. We learned a ton from it. 

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I ran into less problems buying my subsequent properties after my first one. Each property has its issues and problems, and sometimes its a deal as you go situation. I would say that in one instance, I actually became too greedy. There was a wonderful duplex for sale for 415k and I was negotiating tooth and nail for it. I knew the true value of it, but for some reason it wasn't selling. If the same duplex came out on the market today (1.5 years later) it would be easily worth 520k+. I ended up getting beat out by a cash offer by only 5k discrepancy. If I just agreed to their price right away I would've secured that deal. 

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Specialist · Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 24 votes
    3y

    I spent too much on the renovation thinking that I was going to live there, but never did.

  • Investor · Ct and Western Ma, South coast MA · Member since 2021 · 21 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    @Nicole Heasley

    Did you lose any money in the deal ,break even ,or profit l.

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    We made a small profit. 

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2022 · 83 posts · 68 votes
    3y

    Not diversifying my portfolio enough! If you have a good experience with one property it can be easy to think you should buy as similar a property as possible. While that does have its advantages, as your portfolio grows you should think about diversification. Don't over-invest in a particular neighborhood, investment strategy, etc. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Anthony Ziccardi:

    Hey everyone

    In the process of obtaining a second property

    My first purchase was a duplex with a FHA 203k

    It is not worth the refi due to the low interest and no cash out.

    I am now looking to use a homestyle loan to purchase another house hack brrrr.

    What are common mistakes made in purchasing your seconded property


     I learned properties that have less work and just need a cosmetic lift are far better. My second property I took it down to the studs and it was a lot of work/money. It now is doing great although things always take more time than you think. 

  • Investor · NH · Member since 2023 · 54 posts · 25 votes
    3y

    My second deal was about 3 times the square footage as my first deal. The biggest mistake I made purchasing it was being in too much of a hurry and not taking a closer look down in the crawl space. (Always bring a flashlight and take a close look)

    The previous owner was throwing junk down there and there was some dry rot on the sills, nothing too serious but it could have been a lot worse.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.