Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dan G.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
My Nashville Househack

Dan G.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Posted

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment in Nashville.

Purchase price: $375,000
Cash invested: $35,000

Contributors:
Alex Vargas

My first investment property and first home. Bought this property with massive opportunity. It's a two story SFR with two separate living spaces/kitchens. Main floor is 3bed/2bath and basement is 2bed/2bath. Currently living on the main floor with two roommate renters and will be renting out the basement unit, which opens out to the backyard.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I had been listening to BiggerPocket podcast for several months and saving for a couple years to buy a home. Understood that one of the best ways to get into Real Estate investing is to jump right in and househack.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

MLS - My trusty real estate agent Alex helped create an automatic search that alerted us about this property as it matched our search criteria of being a home with a basement and 4+ bedrooms.

How did you finance this deal?

Conventional Homestyle Mortgage

How did you add value to the deal?

Built-in the renovation costs into the mortgage

What was the outcome?

Currently househacking with new additional rental income expected within first 4 months of owning the property

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Older homes require additional investment to bring them up to code and/or update the guts (plumbing, hvac, insulation), but it's worth it!

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Alex Vargas, Bram from Kane Co. Builders, and Craig Morren at Loan Depot helped me get this deal done.

Loading replies...