• Connecticut
Votes |
Dehumidifier in basement

Frank Maratta
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Connecticut
Posted Sep 2 2019, 02:24

Hi guys

I have an older two family which has such high levels of humidity in the basement that I am constantly replacing joists and other wood due to rot. I think the best option is to run a dehumidifier.

In this basement I built a small 10x10 room in the corner with a locked door for my “boiler room” with my two wall-hung Naviens and other things I keep for storage that I don’t want my tenants touching. I would like to put the dehumidifier in this room so none of the tenants mess with it (and also because there is an outlet in that room)

My question is: will the dehumidifier “suck” the rest of the humid air from the rest of the basement into this room? The room is not completely air tight, there are gaps near the ceiling joists that would allow air flow.

So before i go out and spend $400 on a dehumidifier with a pump, will this work? Or does the dehumidifier really need to be in the open area of the basement. I am planning on leaving it running full time.

Also anyone know what the electric cost is per month to run one of these things full time?

Loading replies...