Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Technology
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Evan Parke
  • Investor
  • Atlanta
Votes |
Property Management software

Evan Parke
  • Investor
  • Atlanta
Posted

Hey Biggerpockets crew!  Can anyone recommend what  they believe is the best platform(s) to manage all aspects of your rental units?  I am about to close on my first two units and I want to start implementing great infrastructure as I scale up.  I have the Stessa app and one for Rent Redi.  Thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Julie Chai
  • Investor
  • La Palma, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • La Palma, CA
Replied

Hi Evan, I just started using Innago.com last month and so far it's been quite easy to manage.  It's free for owners!

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Julie Chai:

Hi Evan, I just started using Innago.com last month and so far it's been quite easy to manage.  It's free for owners!

I have 16 units would this platform be ideal for that amount?

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Julie Chai
  • Investor
  • La Palma, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • La Palma, CA
Replied
Quote from @Anthony Cortello:
Quote from @Julie Chai:

Yes, it would definitely.  It can collect rent, apply your late fees,  screen tenants, background checks, etc. The only thing it doesn't do it help you with any maintenance issues.  You'll need to have your boots on the ground for the maintenance but anything else you can do on the Innago.com.  You can also message and communicate with your tenants through the site.

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Julie Chai:
Quote from @Anthony Cortello:
Quote from @Julie Chai:

Yes, it would definitely.  It can collect rent, apply your late fees,  screen tenants, background checks, etc. The only thing it doesn't do it help you with any maintenance issues.  You'll need to have your boots on the ground for the maintenance but anything else you can do on the Innago.com.  You can also message and communicate with your tenants through the site.

great thanks for the tip, I will check it out 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied

You can also look into hemlane

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Miller
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Grants Pass, OR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Grants Pass, OR
Replied
Quote from @Evan Parke:

Hey Biggerpockets crew!  Can anyone recommend what  they believe is the best platform(s) to manage all aspects of your rental units?  I am about to close on my first two units and I want to start implementing great infrastructure as I scale up.  I have the Stessa app and one for Rent Redi.  Thoughts?

It's difficult to identify a "best" platform because there are a lot of different options and a lot of different pros/cons.  The cons of one platform might bother somebody else, but not you so it's important to try out, or at least demo a few options before settling into any solution in particular.  How platforms bill for their service is another big differentiator.  Do you want to pay the fee for the software, or do you want the tenant paying it for you?

Some of the most useful items BiggerPockets members have identified are features that save time so they can spend time working on their next property. These are features like online renter payments, tenant portal (for payments and work orders), help keeping track of work orders, tax reporting features, and accounting functionality. One of the most important steps you can take as either a startup landlord or seasoned one is to use a platform specific to property management as it will elevate your operation and save you tons of time.

The good news is that nearly every software designed for landlords includes these features. The differences between most software is subtle and may be how they bill for their service, support their product, or the process to use those features.

Here's some software options that you commonly see recommended on BiggerPockets.

The more mature platforms that are designed for landlords/property managers include Rentec Direct, Buildium, Appfolio, Propertyware, and Rent Manager. These platforms typically have billing policies where you pay a per unit fee per month to the software and you get regular updates and support each month.

There are a number of low-cost platforms available that are able to offer you a lower price by passing along some of the costs to your tenants (payment processing fees, applications, tenant screening, etc). These platforms include RentRedi, Stessa, Avail, Innago, Apartments.com (formerly Cozy), and TenantCloud.

Pretty much every platform mentioned contains the features you are going to need. It boils down to which platform's processes and support works best for you. The best way for you to figure this out is visit the platforms and explore their free trial (if offered). Run through some of the features you will need like setting up a property, moving in a tenant, receiving rent payments, and publishing online applications.

Pay attention to which platform feels the best to you as you perform these functions. Each platform does it a bit different and you are going to like some more than others. While trying it out, call their customer service and see how they treat you and how knowledgeable they are on their product. Ask their customer service to walk you through the above options if needed.

It shouldn't take more than a couple hours of research to try out the top platforms and identify which feels the best for you. Those couple hours of research will save you hundreds of hours of time down the line, so it's well worth the effort.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied

The #1 reason for dissatisfaction with software - user not taking the time to learn how to use it correctly!

User Stats

Votes
Evan Parke
  • Investor
  • Atlanta
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta
Replied

Thank you Nathan.  I appreciate your detailed response. 

User Stats

Votes
Evan Parke
  • Investor
  • Atlanta
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta
Replied

Thank you Michael. 

User Stats

Votes
Erika Whitten
  • Property Manager
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied

We have been using Buildium for a few years now and really like it. However, we manage multiple properties for multiple property owners so it checks the boxes in that regard. 

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Parker
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied

Innago has been great for me. It allows me to collect rent, schedule maintenance requests, and etc. I've been using it for I believe 3 years now and love it. Plus it's free for property owners/landlords.