Skip to content
Guru, Book, & Course Reviews

User Stats

Votes
Arjan Amiri
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Votes |
Matt Theriault's Epic Pro Academy Is It Legitimate?

Arjan Amiri
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Posted Apr 22 2016, 17:21

Dear Forum,

I recently learned of a real estate mentor named Matt Theriault. He is advertising a real estate investment training program called the epic pro academy for about 1,000 dollars. There is a money back guarantee if I'm not satisfied with it so I was wondering if anyone has taken the program and what everyone thinks about making the investment. All input is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Arjan G. Amiri

User Stats

Votes
Laura Verderber
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fairhope, AL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fairhope, AL
Replied Mar 13 2023, 21:10
Quote from @Mike Hurney:
@William Amiri
Hopefully by now you've taken the course and are successful?
It's been my experience that you get out of Guru's/Courses what you put into them! No personal experience with Matt yet but I'm familiar with most, since I'm running several REIAs (mainly MassRealEstate dot net)
Or you can get a Liberal Arts degree for $60k/year and see how that pays off:-(
I bought a course from Matt and watch his YouTube videos. I love the way he explains things and he answers questions personally. His education is great. You just have to actually start taking action. He lays it all out. And yes, I got a property under contract that should result in$50,000 once I fix and flip it. Not my first rodeo, but Matt's advice helped me negotiate with the seller much more effectively.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 11 2023, 02:03

Man all I can say is I wish I had seen the $1000 refundable class..... I paid $40000. Non refundable. For the promise that once your in your in which wasnt really true(  the day the 6 month program ended so did all my access to the stuff I just paid $40000 for. All the lessons, the software all of it. They have so many people calling u to set parts of ur business, business credit, cpa, marketing up within that 6 months. That we spent another $8000 on stuff we absolutely didn't need yet or at all, and just found ourselves broke and super overwhelmed.  So we did what any person who just went from 780 and 700 credit scores to $40000 in debt and our new 500 credit scores  ( thanks to them getting us exactly what we needed in credit to pay for the package)..... we scraped borrowed and begged for another $16000 for one on one training where there selling point is he (mentor not Matt) will come to u and not leave until to you get your first deal!!! So we did it. Maxed out every last penny we could because that was gonna be our only way of not drowning in this and it being a fail....when our time came.... was the one on one informational? Yes.... what we got thru in the 3 days was helpful. Did we do our first deal??? We didn't even finish the lessons( which are a completely different Format and way of doing it then the you tube, podcasts, and package. He(the mentor) joked about how I can't actually stay here until u do a deal..... well then why make that your selling point. That the first deal is the hardest, and he would help u get that first contract signed. I realized that most of the classes we lost after our 6 months were on matts you tube and podcast videos. The company we paid to get us business credit and do our taxes didn't know what we were talking about when I called at tax time. And the credit.... well it went off our personal credit( again the idea of spending another $3000 for this was so they would transfer our new found personal debt into business debt so our credit scores we worked so hard for would go back up. Since our credit sucked now we still had hope if we wanted or could afford to spend $400+ a month for 6 months on office supplies basically. Which we couldn't. So .... we never got any help with that either. Do I think they want to help. Sure... but think about the 70 people a month who pay $30000-$65000 for a 6 month or yr program.  Roughly 3 million a month. That they are teaching the same technique. And essentially flooding the market with new investors all doing the same thing. I 1000% understand that yes if u can keep up and put in enough effort to do it within that 6 months then yes u can be successful.  Expecially of ur in the clicky groups.... but I had a perfect deal that I  needed help and guidance on and tried  to get that help and unlimitly lost out on. Fast forward a year and a half later. I don't have ANY ACCESS TO ANYTHING I PAID $44,000+ FOR.... UNLESS I WANT TO PAY 200 A MONTH HERE, 100 A MONTH THERE. MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE LOW CREDIT 600 SCORES. EVERYTIME WE PAY PART OF A BALANCE THEY JUST LOWER OUR AVAILABILE CREDIT SO WERE MAXED OUT AGAIN. WERE STILL $40,000 IN DEBT AND IF I WANT TO WATCH THE free YOU TUBE VIDEOS I CAN KEEP TRUCKING ALONG BUT FEEL LIKE WE GOT SUPER SCAMMED.  EXPECIALLY SINCE WERE SUBSCRIBED TO MATTS PODCAST( WHICH ALSO IS MAKING HIM MORE MONEY) AND I GET REAL UPEST WHEN I GET EMAILS SAYING U CAN HAVE MY PROGRAM I CHARGE OTHER $55000 FOR $1000 IF YOU SIGN UP NOW. SUCKS CUZ I WAS JUST TRYING TO SECURE A LITTLE STABILITY FOR MYSELF AND MY HUSBAND WHO HAS CYSTIC FIBROSIS, GRAND MAL SEIZURES ( THAT OFTEN RESET HIS WHOLE BRAIN), AND IS CURRENTLY OUR MAIN PROVIDER.  OH AND DID I MENTION HES ON A MEDICATION THAT IS LIKE $12,000 A MONTH. SO YEAH.... THEY ARE NOT DOING THE SAME STRATEGY THEY ARE TEACHING ( NOT ANYMORE ANYWAYS) THEY STILL GET ACCESS TO ALL THERE STUDENTS DEALS, AS WELL AS THE approximately 3 million a month they are making off the 70 suckers who paid full price. So if they will offer u a refund. What can you loose. Just dont agree to all the other ********. And know your not buying access to a program your renting it. Good luck!!!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hurney
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Aug 28 2023, 06:07

@Kelly Moffitt

Sad tale :-( Who's course did you take?

So what do you want from us?

Mike @MassRealEstate.net

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 28 2023, 11:38

@Mike Hurney I took the epic invest ed program. As well as paid an extra 16000 for one on one with Jeremy( which was nice and I learned alot from that. However we were told he wouldn't leave until our first deal was made, and honestly we didn't even finish the packet he brought to go over.... it was like ok well I gotta go now. On to the next place!!!!)  We chose the one on one because were overwhelmed with everything that kept getting thrown at us ( business credit, Tax professionals, call flows, marketing ect) and I knew all I needed was for someone to hold my hand for the first deal. ( that's what the sell factor was during one of the weekend events, was that the one on one would stay until I signed our first deal). Not only did that not happen, we paid for a bunch of stuff we definitely didn't need at the time because as soon as we signed up people affiliated with epic started calling with there own amazing deal to make us profitable. We didnt get the deal we paid $16,000 for, or a lifetime of " once your in your in for life" help we paid $37,000 for. We didnt get any business credit we paid another $2000 for, or the tax help we paid $1500 + 60 a month for. We got the $37000 in credit we paid $3000 for but not the after a year "u can get a loan for anything", and our credit scores went from 780- 600 with zero missed payments and effort made to pay it down a year + later.... But on top of it we couldn't even finish the training Because we lost access to it after 6 months and couldnt afford to pay extra to continue. By then we felt used, taken advantage of, and defeted. And were so Tapped financially  we had no choice but to put it on a back burner, move into my inlaws basement, and loose our stability, security, and stash. It ultimately cost us almost $100,000. For information we could of gotten for free or almost free on the podcast.  I guess I just really believed the marketing scam that was given. And don't want other people who are desperate for a better life to ruin there credit, or make there life harder like we did. My husband has cystic fibrosis and seizures and is on a medication that's almost $300000 a year. We needed this to be legit. Do I think Matt and Mercedes and the team are scam artists? No not nessesarily but I think that this is a major income cut if people stop falling for it. I think that they are flooding the investor market with a bunch of people that are new and KINDA getting help from a mentor. While they all try to do the same method against people with the capital and experience to buy out from under them before they have even gotten a" looks good" from the mentor. I think if we would of gone in blind with the option of spending our $100000 to cover the flip on our first property we would of been 100% more sucessful then paying for someone to hold our hand.  When we went to the first weekend event the man who hosted it for epic made a point to ask if anybody could find any bad reviews on Epic and that was one of his big selling points was that it was hard to find any bad reviews which then made us think that it would be okay to put ourselves $40,000 in the hole on this. We were sold!!! Now I just want to make sure someone in our boat can find a bad review or a REAL REVIEW I should say. To a multimillionaire or successful investor $100000 is probably like Chum change.... but for somebody like us who drive $2,500 cars and make $20 an hour renting out a basement apartment it was definitely a huge lesson learned and something that will take us years to crawl out of. I will accept responsibility for getting overwhelmed and stuck, as well as for believing a total stranger gave a crap about me, my financial situation, or my sucess.... but shame on epic for getting lost in the profit, by promising things that were not true. Some people can get in a really bad spot trusting that promise. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 30 2023, 08:48

@Mike Hurney I thought I should specify that Jeremy never made the promise to stay until we had a deal. He just commented on it and brought it up during our weekend. It was Tony ( captain America) who uses that and  the fact that there were only 8 spots available as the sell factor on the 3 day with Jeremy. ) Like I said I learned alot from Jeremy but not enough to be sucessful. And not $16000 worth. And it was all so fast that I didn't absorb it enough to carry on past the weekend. The 2 deals I did find after, were gone before I got an Email back. The program we specifically signed up for was the Epic Ace program or maverick. Something along those lines I don't recall the exact name and no longer have access to any of it so.... I would think that someone spends that kind of money would at least be able to keep the training info. Like seriously. You ask what I want from you? Are you affiliated with Epic? I want my money back, or at least part of it. Or I want someone to hold my hand until I get my first deal. So that I understand what I'm doing. I want them to stop telling fibs to get a sale to people with hope.... I get real frustrated getting emails offering the same thing for $1000. Like why such a big price difference? How do they decide who gets the short straw. When we were struggling to get more money why didn't they mention if we wait a month or two we can get the same thing for $1000? I appreciate u responding. I'm super angry about the whole thing. And so defeted and in the whole we ruined our whole life with the false promises the team gave. Each  of the people have there own little stretched truth that all together seems like a really good investment. Like going to college. But i feel like somewhere down the road the WHY changed. Let me also say this was all right at the end of covid like middle of 2021. When people's finances were already ify. At least ours were.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 20 2024, 08:34

I fell victim to Epic Invested 2 years ago.  One student sued to get his money back.  He was able to get 2/3 of it only because he made him sign on the agreement, he would get a refund if it doesn't work for him.  It's scam. They sold us on a software access for 1 yr, and was told it would be up and running when I got home, and my phone would be ringing once it was set up (it didn't). When I asked about it during the 3-day training in Vegas, I was told it was too complicated to explain, and they have instructions and would get help with setup. For $40k, you would think I would have a lifetime membership.  No, I have no access after 1 year.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hurney
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Apr 29 2024, 14:47

Hey Kelly & Evelyn,

I'm sorry to hear their Program did not work out for you.

If it was me, I'd go there in person and DEMAND my money back, especially if it was misrepresented and they did nothing they were supposed to do for you!