Looking for warehouse leasing data and trends

Looking for warehouse leasing data and trends

Michael DangPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 454 posts · 273 votes

Hi All,

Would anyone know of publications, articles, or blogs that give insight or a report on the current and future demand\growth of light industrial warehouses or business parks in greater houston area?

Thinking of developing a small warehouse business park and trying to get more information to see if there is a demand and viable.  

Additionally, if anyone has any ideas on how to find market lease rates and companies or firms that build steel warehouse buildings that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Cheers,

Mike

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 3 votes
9y

Hey Mike

I am working on a similar project in Raleigh NC. We have a business journal called the triangle business journal. I am sure there is a Houston equivalent that has an issue once a year that lists vacancy rates and other valuable info by property type and sub market. Of course you could look at lease rates on Loopnet and Commercial Search, but I like the low tech approach of going to an area and walking into a business of a similar property and just asking them to be kind enough and help you with some market research and tell you how much they pay in rent.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Hey Mike

    I am working on a similar project in Raleigh NC. We have a business journal called the triangle business journal. I am sure there is a Houston equivalent that has an issue once a year that lists vacancy rates and other valuable info by property type and sub market. Of course you could look at lease rates on Loopnet and Commercial Search, but I like the low tech approach of going to an area and walking into a business of a similar property and just asking them to be kind enough and help you with some market research and tell you how much they pay in rent.

  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 827 votes
    9y

    @Michael Dang   I recall reading something not too long ago that said the huge warehouse market was overbuilt in Houston, but the small light warehouse market was underserved.

    I assume you're talking about the smaller projects with a rolling door and a big open space with a small office and restroom. I live in Oak Forest and there are several of those in the area along TC Jester and also along Pinemont and 34th St. They seem to be mostly full.

    By the way, it appears that the tenants are not using the units for traditional "warehouse" roles, but mostly small business interests. Off the top of my head I can think of a specialty truck tire place, an auto inspection business, and a lawn mower/small machine repair business.

    As far as determining price, there's the old standby Loopnet. And here in Houston with have Commgate.com. You should be able to go on  there and get an idea of what these units rent for.

  • Michael DangPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 454 posts · 273 votes
    9y

    @Dylan Gehrken  @Fred Heller

    Thanks to you both for the info and leads.  Will be checking those sources out.  We do have the Houston Business Journal and that could provide some info.  One other way to look for data is Craigslist.  

    Fred - Yes, the small light warehouse is what I was targeting.  I know the Oak Forest\Pinemont area well.  Use to live nearby Oak Forest.

  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 827 votes
    9y

    @Michael Dang  I've looked for a couple of those units and I recall they seemed to rent in the $1200 range give or take. But that is completely dependent on the location and condition of the property.

  • Architect · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 81 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    @Michael Dang I used to work with MBCI in Houston on metal roof and panels for my projects, but it's been a while. You might be able to contact a sales rep there and they can point you to a local metal building builder.  Hope this helps.

  • Michael DangPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 454 posts · 273 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed Good Lead Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.