What The Gurus Do Not Teach You In Note Investing - Part 1

What The Gurus Do Not Teach You In Note Investing - Part 1

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes

Figured I would start a little series talking about my day to day in note investing and what the gurus do not teach you as they always make note investing seem black and white where in reality, most of it is in the gray area.

Here is an example, you foreclose on a property and the property is still occupied. Now what do you do? 

Well, a foreclosure does not evict someone living there, you need to evict them.

So in most cases you start the eviction. No problem right.

So what do you do when you find out the borrower is in prison and the 17 year old daughter who is a junior in high school is living in the property and she is trying to find a place to live with a friend and needs an extra 3 weeks. Do you continue with the eviction which would occur in 2 weeks?

Most will immediately say yes and think its that simple. But what about this option - you get on the phone with the individual and a realtor and let this person give the realtor access. Get inside photos of the property and see what it looks like and if it appears that someone is getting ready to move?

This is what we did, and the daughter was in fact starting to pack and move out. She was very friendly and work with us. While we do run a business that is for profit - you always do not need to be a hard ash and if someone is going to work with you, then extend the offer.

So this is what we did, and guess what, she did not trash the place, she moved out and took all her stuff and left the home very clean and spotless. She was very responsible. Not every person is like this, but this is where you also need to get a good read on people to understand - as I started with, its not black and white but its gray in most instances.

7e investments53 Reviews
15Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

Figured I would start a little series talking about my day to day in note investing and what the gurus do not teach you as they always make note investing seem black and white where in reality, most of it is in the gray area.

Here is an example, you foreclose on a property and the property is still occupied. Now what do you do? 

Well, a foreclosure does not evict someone living there, you need to evict them.

So in most cases you start the eviction. No problem right.

So what do you do when you find out the borrower is in prison and the 17 year old daughter who is a junior in high school is living in the property and she is trying to find a place to live with a friend and needs an extra 3 weeks. Do you continue with the eviction which would occur in 2 weeks?

Most will immediately say yes and think its that simple. But what about this option - you get on the phone with the individual and a realtor and let this person give the realtor access. Get inside photos of the property and see what it looks like and if it appears that someone is getting ready to move?

This is what we did, and the daughter was in fact starting to pack and move out. She was very friendly and work with us. While we do run a business that is for profit - you always do not need to be a hard ash and if someone is going to work with you, then extend the offer.

So this is what we did, and guess what, she did not trash the place, she moved out and took all her stuff and left the home very clean and spotless. She was very responsible. Not every person is like this, but this is where you also need to get a good read on people to understand - as I started with, its not black and white but its gray in most instances.

Thanks Chris. I believe you’re intentionally misleading us so as to avoid competition and have the market to yourself.  The guru I paid $40k to mentor me told me I could outsource everything and just collect a check in my mailbox each month.  He said that by following his underwriting criteria I’d never experience a late payment let alone a foreclosure; that by using his one of a kind mortgage contract I’d eliminate all borrower rights in EVERY state and be able to take the property back without foreclosure; and that any tenants could be considered trespassers and can be shot on sight.  Whom am I to believe, you, a professional in the business for 10+ years with a verifiable track record of success and a willingness to provide information based on your experience and education at no charge, or my guru who has never run a note business and has been banned from the securities industry for life for violations related to stock dumping 6 years ago?  Since I paid $40k to the guru I’ll go with him and “double down”. 

Further, you've never even mentioned using third party foreign asset protection trusts domiciled in Nevis in your post which shows you're withholding information vital to success in the note business. I am currently working on setting up my one hundred fiftieth LLC so when I buy my first 150 notes I can place each one in a separate LLC. I'm also putting together my "dream" team and interviewing attorneys, title companies, lenders, real estate brokers, contractors and magicians so I'll be fully prepared when the 100 postcards I send out to randomly selected people results in the 14 offers to sell their notes that represents the average 14% response rate to junk mailings.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Platte City Missouri, United States · Member since 2020 · 37 posts · 45 votes
    2y

    Good background Chris…. and appreciate that you wrote that while not on your morning walk while on FB live like some gurus like to do. 😀  Thanks 

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Eddie Fernandez:

    Good background Chris…. and appreciate that you wrote that while not on your morning walk while on FB live like some gurus like to do. 😀  Thanks 


    It is much easier to talk about deals when you are actually having/doing deals. Maybe I will record this tomorrow on a walk as well so I can feel like a guru.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Stuart UdisPro Member
    Attorney · Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Chris Seveney For the full effect you have to record your commentary while seated on a private jet. You simply have no credibility otherwise :) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Stuart Udis:

    @Chris Seveney For the full effect you have to record your commentary while seated on a private jet. You simply have no credibility otherwise :) 


  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    Figured I would start a little series talking about my day to day in note investing and what the gurus do not teach you as they always make note investing seem black and white where in reality, most of it is in the gray area.

    Here is an example, you foreclose on a property and the property is still occupied. Now what do you do? 

    Well, a foreclosure does not evict someone living there, you need to evict them.

    So in most cases you start the eviction. No problem right.

    So what do you do when you find out the borrower is in prison and the 17 year old daughter who is a junior in high school is living in the property and she is trying to find a place to live with a friend and needs an extra 3 weeks. Do you continue with the eviction which would occur in 2 weeks?

    Most will immediately say yes and think its that simple. But what about this option - you get on the phone with the individual and a realtor and let this person give the realtor access. Get inside photos of the property and see what it looks like and if it appears that someone is getting ready to move?

    This is what we did, and the daughter was in fact starting to pack and move out. She was very friendly and work with us. While we do run a business that is for profit - you always do not need to be a hard ash and if someone is going to work with you, then extend the offer.

    So this is what we did, and guess what, she did not trash the place, she moved out and took all her stuff and left the home very clean and spotless. She was very responsible. Not every person is like this, but this is where you also need to get a good read on people to understand - as I started with, its not black and white but its gray in most instances.

    Thanks Chris. I believe you’re intentionally misleading us so as to avoid competition and have the market to yourself.  The guru I paid $40k to mentor me told me I could outsource everything and just collect a check in my mailbox each month.  He said that by following his underwriting criteria I’d never experience a late payment let alone a foreclosure; that by using his one of a kind mortgage contract I’d eliminate all borrower rights in EVERY state and be able to take the property back without foreclosure; and that any tenants could be considered trespassers and can be shot on sight.  Whom am I to believe, you, a professional in the business for 10+ years with a verifiable track record of success and a willingness to provide information based on your experience and education at no charge, or my guru who has never run a note business and has been banned from the securities industry for life for violations related to stock dumping 6 years ago?  Since I paid $40k to the guru I’ll go with him and “double down”. 

    Further, you've never even mentioned using third party foreign asset protection trusts domiciled in Nevis in your post which shows you're withholding information vital to success in the note business. I am currently working on setting up my one hundred fiftieth LLC so when I buy my first 150 notes I can place each one in a separate LLC. I'm also putting together my "dream" team and interviewing attorneys, title companies, lenders, real estate brokers, contractors and magicians so I'll be fully prepared when the 100 postcards I send out to randomly selected people results in the 14 offers to sell their notes that represents the average 14% response rate to junk mailings.

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Lender · Charleston, SC · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Eddie Fernandez:

    Good background Chris…. and appreciate that you wrote that while not on your morning walk while on FB live like some gurus like to do. 😀  Thanks 


     Lol I know exactly who this is referring to

  • Lender · Charleston, SC · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Don Konipol:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    Figured I would start a little series talking about my day to day in note investing and what the gurus do not teach you as they always make note investing seem black and white where in reality, most of it is in the gray area.

    Here is an example, you foreclose on a property and the property is still occupied. Now what do you do? 

    Well, a foreclosure does not evict someone living there, you need to evict them.

    So in most cases you start the eviction. No problem right.

    So what do you do when you find out the borrower is in prison and the 17 year old daughter who is a junior in high school is living in the property and she is trying to find a place to live with a friend and needs an extra 3 weeks. Do you continue with the eviction which would occur in 2 weeks?

    Most will immediately say yes and think its that simple. But what about this option - you get on the phone with the individual and a realtor and let this person give the realtor access. Get inside photos of the property and see what it looks like and if it appears that someone is getting ready to move?

    This is what we did, and the daughter was in fact starting to pack and move out. She was very friendly and work with us. While we do run a business that is for profit - you always do not need to be a hard ash and if someone is going to work with you, then extend the offer.

    So this is what we did, and guess what, she did not trash the place, she moved out and took all her stuff and left the home very clean and spotless. She was very responsible. Not every person is like this, but this is where you also need to get a good read on people to understand - as I started with, its not black and white but its gray in most instances.

    Thanks Chris. I believe you’re intentionally misleading us so as to avoid competition and have the market to yourself.  The guru I paid $40k to mentor me told me I could outsource everything and just collect a check in my mailbox each month.  He said that by following his underwriting criteria I’d never experience a late payment let alone a foreclosure; that by using his one of a kind mortgage contract I’d eliminate all borrower rights in EVERY state and be able to take the property back without foreclosure; and that any tenants could be considered trespassers and can be shot on sight.  Whom am I to believe, you, a professional in the business for 10+ years with a verifiable track record of success and a willingness to provide information based on your experience and education at no charge, or my guru who has never run a note business and has been banned from the securities industry for life for violations related to stock dumping 6 years ago?  Since I paid $40k to the guru I’ll go with him and “double down”. 

    Further, you've never even mentioned using third party foreign asset protection trusts domiciled in Nevis in your post which shows you're withholding information vital to success in the note business. I am currently working on setting up my one hundred fiftieth LLC so when I buy my first 150 notes I can place each one in a separate LLC. I'm also putting together my "dream" team and interviewing attorneys, title companies, lenders, real estate brokers, contractors and magicians so I'll be fully prepared when the 100 postcards I send out to randomly selected people results in the 14 offers to sell their notes that represents the average 14% response rate to junk mailings.


     Magicians got me. I was not ready for that lol

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Don Konipol:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    Figured I would start a little series talking about my day to day in note investing and what the gurus do not teach you as they always make note investing seem black and white where in reality, most of it is in the gray area.

    Here is an example, you foreclose on a property and the property is still occupied. Now what do you do? 

    Well, a foreclosure does not evict someone living there, you need to evict them.

    So in most cases you start the eviction. No problem right.

    So what do you do when you find out the borrower is in prison and the 17 year old daughter who is a junior in high school is living in the property and she is trying to find a place to live with a friend and needs an extra 3 weeks. Do you continue with the eviction which would occur in 2 weeks?

    Most will immediately say yes and think its that simple. But what about this option - you get on the phone with the individual and a realtor and let this person give the realtor access. Get inside photos of the property and see what it looks like and if it appears that someone is getting ready to move?

    This is what we did, and the daughter was in fact starting to pack and move out. She was very friendly and work with us. While we do run a business that is for profit - you always do not need to be a hard ash and if someone is going to work with you, then extend the offer.

    So this is what we did, and guess what, she did not trash the place, she moved out and took all her stuff and left the home very clean and spotless. She was very responsible. Not every person is like this, but this is where you also need to get a good read on people to understand - as I started with, its not black and white but its gray in most instances.

    Thanks Chris. I believe you’re intentionally misleading us so as to avoid competition and have the market to yourself.  The guru I paid $40k to mentor me told me I could outsource everything and just collect a check in my mailbox each month.  He said that by following his underwriting criteria I’d never experience a late payment let alone a foreclosure; that by using his one of a kind mortgage contract I’d eliminate all borrower rights in EVERY state and be able to take the property back without foreclosure; and that any tenants could be considered trespassers and can be shot on sight.  Whom am I to believe, you, a professional in the business for 10+ years with a verifiable track record of success and a willingness to provide information based on your experience and education at no charge, or my guru who has never run a note business and has been banned from the securities industry for life for violations related to stock dumping 6 years ago?  Since I paid $40k to the guru I’ll go with him and “double down”. 

    Further, you've never even mentioned using third party foreign asset protection trusts domiciled in Nevis in your post which shows you're withholding information vital to success in the note business. I am currently working on setting up my one hundred fiftieth LLC so when I buy my first 150 notes I can place each one in a separate LLC. I'm also putting together my "dream" team and interviewing attorneys, title companies, lenders, real estate brokers, contractors and magicians so I'll be fully prepared when the 100 postcards I send out to randomly selected people results in the 14 offers to sell their notes that represents the average 14% response rate to junk mailings.


     I need to buy a new shirt as I just spit out my coffee and have coffee stains all over it after reading this post.

    7e investments53 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.