Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Tax Lien Rights

Posted Jun 12 2024, 09:17

Hi everyone im new to tax lien investing and had a question about a lien i purchased this year. I purchased about 2 acres of land in Winston County Al I went and looked at the property and its all completely wooded, but my question is could i go ahead and start clearing the timber off of it or should i wait until the redemption period is over with first? Ive heard both from numerous different people but would like an opinion from someone more experienced, thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Denise Evans
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Replied Jun 12 2024, 14:28

If you in fact purchased a tax lien under the new system (people bid down the interest rate) then you are not allowed to set foot on the property and you certainly cannot cut the timber until after a judge forecloses your liens, quiets title, and orders the clerk to issue a deed to you. That is, at a minimum, 4 years in the future.  You must file the lawsuit and then you must obtain the order.

If you purchased a tax certificate under the old system (people bid up the purchase price) you are not allowed to cut the timber while you have only a tax certificate, which is the time period up to three years after the auction. There is no appellate or statutory authority that allows to you cut the timber after the tax deed date, but while judicial redemption rights might still be outstanding. I personally think you can, and if the former owner redeems, they get cutover timber land. But, a court could rule differently. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 12 2024, 14:58
Quote from @Denise Evans:

If you in fact purchased a tax lien under the new system (people bid down the interest rate) then you are not allowed to set foot on the property and you certainly cannot cut the timber until after a judge forecloses your liens, quiets title, and orders the clerk to issue a deed to you. That is, at a minimum, 4 years in the future.  You must file the lawsuit and then you must obtain the order.

If you purchased a tax certificate under the old system (people bid up the purchase price) you are not allowed to cut the timber while you have only a tax certificate, which is the time period up to three years after the auction. There is no appellate or statutory authority that allows to you cut the timber after the tax deed date, but while judicial redemption rights might still be outstanding. I personally think you can, and if the former owner redeems, they get cutover timber land. But, a court could rule differently. 

Thank you so much for the info i appreciate it!

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Denise Evans
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Replied Jun 12 2024, 16:06

You are welcome:)

User Stats

Votes
Kristine Ann
  • Investor
  • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
Votes |
  • Investor
  • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
Replied Jun 14 2024, 10:58

Was this a tax lien certificate or a tax deed?   There is a big difference and you don't sound like you know which one it is. All states and counties are different, so you need to read through the county documents carefully and consult a local real estate lawyer.

Some counties will only sell the tax debt.  If that is the case, you absolutely do not own the property, you can't trespass and you definitely can't cut trees down!  

Some county's seize the property and then they actually auction off the property in a tax defaulted auction. Winning bids receive a quitclaim deed and then the bidder has to file the quitclaim deed with the county clerk to get title and officially own the property.  Even after you have title, if there is a redemption period in that state, then you want to wait until the redemption period has passed before you make any costly repairs or upgrades.  Just winning the bid and paying at the auction isn't the end of it.  There are several things to do legally after that.

Every county and state is different as far as what they do with tax defaults, which is why you are getting different answers from different people.  You need to go to that county's treasurer and county clerk website (or in person) and carefully read through all the information about how they handle tax defaulted properties.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 14 2024, 11:03
Quote from @Kristine Ann:

Was this a tax lien certificate or a tax deed?   There is a big difference and you don't sound like you know which one it is. All states and counties are different, so you need to read through the county documents carefully and consult a local real estate lawyer.

Some counties will only sell the tax debt.  If that is the case, you absolutely do not own the property, you can't trespass and you definitely can't cut trees down!  

Some county's seize the property and then they actually auction off the property in a tax defaulted auction. Winning bids receive a quitclaim deed and then the bidder has to file the quitclaim deed with the county clerk to get title and officially own the property.  Even after you have title, if there is a redemption period in that state, then you want to wait until the redemption period has passed before you make any costly repairs or upgrades.  Just winning the bid and paying at the auction isn't the end of it.  There are several things to do legally after that.

Every county and state is different as far as what they do with tax defaults, so you can't go by what a random person says.  You need to go to that county's treasurer and county clerk website (or in person) and carefully read through all the information about how they handle tax defaulted properties.

It is a tax lien certificate but thanks for the info!

User Stats

Votes
Will Sifert
  • Investor
  • Covington, LA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Covington, LA
Replied Jun 14 2024, 21:00

Denise, Its been a couple years since I was paying attention to what was happening in AL.  Are some counties still on the old way and some on the new or have they all switched over? If I remember the "new" system it was much like how LA does it (Sell tax lien, 3 year redemption period, once redemption period expires file suit to quiet title and get a judgement.)  I just found out that LA will be changing its system to something similar to what Florida does. We will still have liens but if the property doesn't redeem it is then sold off to the highest bidder. Colorado changed from selling liens and issuing deeds to selling liens and then auctioning off deeds as well. I wonder if AL will be changing again in the future. It seems tyler vs hennepin county is making some waves.

User Stats

Votes
Denise Evans
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Replied Jun 15 2024, 04:04

A few Alabama counties are still on the old system. They are some of the rural counties plus Lee County (Auburn University) and Houston County (Dothan--VERY large agribusiness area).  Alabama has already changed in response to Tyler v. Hennepin County, for the new system. Now, if someone has redemption rights they can demand a public auction at conclusion of the lien foreclosure lawsuit. If it brings enough to cover taxes, interest, legal fees and auction expenses, plus some extra, the people with redemption rights share the "extra."  If nobody demands a public auction, the tax sale investor gets the property, free and clear.

User Stats

Votes
Denise Evans
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Replied Jun 15 2024, 04:20

@Kristine Ann, even under the "older" system in Alabama, winning bidders do not get a quitclaim deed. They get a tax certificate and ONE of the "sticks" in the "bundle of rights" that belongs to the owner. The winning bidder gets the right to possession, but usually cannot exercise DIY possession. Instead, it usually requires voluntary surrender by the owner, or a successful ejectment lawsuit suit. Three years later the investor will surrender their certificate to the Probate Judge, pay a $5 fee, and obtain a tax deed. Even after that, there might still be redemption rights in former owners (or heirs) and lien holders.

PS--DO NOT ask county personnel for legal advice. They are not allowed to give it. Often they do it anyway, but are usually wrong. Rely on industry acknowledged experts for advice. In Alabama, the rules are complicated and subtle.

User Stats

Votes
Edward Condon
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jun 15 2024, 13:09

@Grant Jordan Ward
Your post (potentially) contemplates criminal trespass and felony theft.  Stay off the property until you own it!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 15 2024, 14:07
Quote from @Edward Condon:

@Grant Jordan Ward
Your post (potentially) contemplates criminal trespass and felony theft.  Stay off the property until you own it!

I havent been on the property ive just rode by and looked at it was just curious how it worked since ive heard multiple people say different things

User Stats

Votes
Tiarai Fields
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Aug 3 2024, 07:29

@Kristine Ann, even under the "older" system in Alabama, winning bidders do not get a quitclaim deed. They get a tax certificate and ONE of the "sticks" in the "bundle of rights" that belongs to the owner. The winning bidder gets the right to possession, but usually cannot exercise DIY possession. Instead, it usually requires voluntary surrender by the owner, or a successful ejectment lawsuit suit. Three years later the investor will surrender their certificate to the Probate Judge, pay a $5 fee, and obtain a tax deed. Even after that, there might still be redemption rights in former owners (or heirs) and lien holders.

PS--DO NOT ask county personnel for legal advice. They are not allowed to give it. Often they do it anyway, but are usually wrong. Rely on industry acknowledged experts for advice. In Alabama, the rules are complicated and subtl 

Hi @Denise Evans If I don't turn in my tax certificate for the tax deed after the three year period is up is my certificate voided? What if annual tax payments were made to keep it from going back to auction?

User Stats

Votes
Denise Evans
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
Replied Aug 3 2024, 08:14

If you don't turn in your certificate and get a deed, the law assumes you have ownership, but it's not completely clear-cut. You can continue making the annual payments and preserve your interest. It is best to get the deed, though. The fee is only $5.  Then for sure you are the owner and there is no dispute with insurance companies if you suffer a loss.  If for some reason you need to rely on regular adverse possession instead of tax sale short statute of limitations, it requires ten years of possession after color of title. That tax deed is your color of title. Also, if you have to go to court for some reason and you have a tax deed, the probate judge's signature is prima facie evidence the tax sale was done correctly.  Someone can dispute that and then you'll have to prove it, but usually nobody disputes it. But, if all you have is a tax certificate, you MUST prove the tax sale was done properly, even if the other side does not raise that issue. That is only if you are in court, though.

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Tiarai Fields
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Aug 3 2024, 08:24

Got it, thx!!