First time investor wanting to start flipping

First time investor wanting to start flipping

Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 11 votes

Hey Everybody!

I am a total newbie to real estate and investing but am quite motivated to get into the game. I’ve spent many hours reading, listening, watching, and practicing analysis of potential property investments. I have a realtor/investor friend who shares his knowledge also. I have contractor contacts through him as well. Needless to say, I’m ready to get going.

I was looking for advice in general on how to get started and am willing to take any criticism on my strategy. So let me lay it out.

My goal is to not have to depend on my 9-5 job as soon as possible. I have a respectable savings and my first thought was that I would buy a few rentals on a mortgage. This is passive but would obviously take decades to become financially free as I saved and bought more.

So now I am considering flipping. I can keep my job to make a living and flip on the side, saving all I can to buy rentals for passive income, all the while gaining experience. And if the house flipping takes off, then I can do that full time, buy rentals, and quit when I want.

Trouble is I am as fresh as they come and could REALLY use some direction. Is this a feasible strategy? Is this more difficult than I realize? Is there a better option? I have a ton of other questions on financing, networking, etc., but I’ll save those for another post. I am very open to all advice. Help me out BP!

-Daniel (Houston, TX)

0Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe HomsBusiness Member
Flipper · Mission Viejo, CA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

@Daniel Wrentz flipping is a numbers game, but don't get me wrong its not as easy as they show on T.V.  Here are the first things you need to get ready.

1. Know your area and the numbers. BP says 70% ARV to MAO, but here in California if you don't offer at 80% or above you do not get any properties.

2.  Financing is a big concern.  You can partner with someone else or use hard money.  Traditional financing may not work?

3.  Is Texas a mortgage state or Trust Deed State?

4.  Get your team in place.  RE Agent, Contractor, Escrow, Insurance, etc. well before you buy your first property.

Lot's to learn, but you can do it!

Good Investing...

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe HomsBusiness Member
    Flipper · Mission Viejo, CA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Daniel Wrentz flipping is a numbers game, but don't get me wrong its not as easy as they show on T.V.  Here are the first things you need to get ready.

    1. Know your area and the numbers. BP says 70% ARV to MAO, but here in California if you don't offer at 80% or above you do not get any properties.

    2.  Financing is a big concern.  You can partner with someone else or use hard money.  Traditional financing may not work?

    3.  Is Texas a mortgage state or Trust Deed State?

    4.  Get your team in place.  RE Agent, Contractor, Escrow, Insurance, etc. well before you buy your first property.

    Lot's to learn, but you can do it!

    Good Investing...

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Hello Daniel, 

    Your in the right path for sure and steps away from that 9to5 but don't jump off that bridge to quick. 

    I wholesale most of my properties that I get and only started flipping because I was in the game and knew people already. Had a lot of mentors where I could easily call them up to ask questions if I needed to. Make sure you not only have the contractors but someone to guide you along the way just in case. 

    It is truly all about numbers. Leave your emotions what you like as if you would be living in it. Know the area, know the trend and don't deviate from it. Find out where all the other investors buying from (not all Home Depot), find good hard money lenders, and figure out your time. You mentioned working your reg job, lol, it can be done but really difficult. Trust me, been there done that. You'd be surprised but the tiniest little things you think your contractors should know is about as much as you know what sometimes. I'm saying, you'll need to be there on the first flip as much as possible till you learn and they learn you. 

    By the way, I use Paul Lamnatos with Blink Lending here in Houston for all my hard money needs. Not sure where you are but make sure you look at all the added fees hard money lenders put in the back. Draw fees ,etc.

    Oh and about but and holds, here in Houston, we use the 1%rule and generally speaking after about 6 months, you do a cash out refi and buy another. Just leveraging your money. No need to save if you have equity and LTV between 70 and 85%.

    Good luck 👍 

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 45 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    Feel free to reach out for any financing questions!

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @Joe Homs thanks a bunch. I’ll keep all that in mind

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Stevens Wow, thank you so much. Would you recommend wholesaling to get my feet wet?

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @Bronson Massas. Thanks! I’ll keep you in mind

  • Jorge RicoPro Member
    Houston · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Hi Daniel,

    In Houston we have one of the best MLS websites in the country, and anyone can use it not just realtors. I suggest you go to HAR and start searching on it every day, try different areas, different price points, etc. and get to know your market. Get to know what properties list and sell for, what they rent for. Do it constantly and run some hypothetical numbers with a calculator or spreadsheet. That would be a great start.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Not necessarily. It's just the way I did it. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @Jorge Rico Many thanks!

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @Daniel Stevens Also, concerning the buy and hold strategy you mentioned. Do you mean I could keep the flipped properties, refi to payback my self and lender, and the rent for cash flow?

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Keep the rentals. Just cash out refi and use that money to pick up another. Just repeat the process all over again. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.